Spring Mill Bread Company - multiple locations

Pat

After buying catnip down the street, I finally stopped in at the Spring Mill Bread Co. on Barracks Row. The employees were quite friendly but I found something a little off-putting about the vibe of the place. Maybe that's because I didn't really care much for the stationery store that was there before and it carried over. The menu boards are large and packed with items, though the amount out on display is a little more modest.

I bought some rye onion-dill bread, which is good (very oniony) but maybe a little denser than I would have liked. Good with whitefish spread from Costco, though.

After all the years I lived here when Sherrill's was the only bakery, it's amazing how many bakeries are on the Hill now. There are several places closer to me to buy good bread, so I don't know how much I'll be getting my frequent bread purchase card from here stamped.

I was having a craving for the onion dill rye bread from Spring Mill and trekked over there yesterday. It seems to be all I buy there. I like it so much, I haven't tried out anything else (though I did also pick up a half gallon of apple cider from their refrigerated case yesterday).

It looks like some of their locations might have closed. Bethesda, Gaithersburg, and Capitol Hill are listed on the bread label and the locations tab of the website, but there are a few additional links for towns at the top of the locations page that go right back to the page listing only the three addresses.

http://springmillbread.com/

Reports came out a few days ago that the Capitol Hill location was closing at the end of the month, so I went by today to buy a final loaf of bread but they've already shuttered.

A location of Call Your Mother is going to be moving into the space, per Eater.