New Moon and El Tutumoso - Thoughts?

goodeats

Hi all,

There are two restaurants I have been curious about but could not find any trustworthy reviews on. I also can't find a thread on, so please move as see fit.

Mainly, I have been wondering about:

New Moon (Chinese Salvadorian in Falls Church) and

El Tutumoso (Scott Rd & Annandale Rd in Falls Church)

Thanks!

New Moon (Chinese Salvadorian in Falls Church) and

El Tutumoso (Scott Rd & Annandale Rd in Falls Church)

Do you mean El Tutumaso in the crummy strip mall on Annandale Road at Route 50, with the Post Office at one end and a crummy grocery store at the other? I can't place a Scott Road. Anyway, they have a primitive web site here and an even more primitive one here. The latter shows the side of a truck, implying that they may operate a food truck as well as a restaurant. I've never eaten at El Tutumaso, but I've eaten many times at the same location when it housed my favorite pho joint, which I believe was called Pho Satay. Tutumaso is Bolivian. I have eaten at El Pike in Willston Center nearby, another Bolivian place, and it was quite good.

New Moon is in what very well may be the crummiest strip mall in Northern Virginia, on Wilson Blvd. a block east of Eden Center. (Ooh, "East of Eden Center", great name for a novel and movie!) Their sign actually proclaims "Salvadorean Mexican Chinese". I used to drive by there all the time, and occasionally thought of stopping in for some of that Salvadorean-Mexican-Chinese cuisine, but I always came to my senses in time. I can't imagine it's any good, but you never know. It's been there for decades. That stretch of Wilson Blvd. is incredibly dreary, with a gas station, strip mall, and lube joint, sitting on what has to be pretty valuable real estate.

Rather remarkably, New Moon also has a website, here.

I haven't helped you at all, but please report back when you've tried these places.

I've been to El Tutumaso once for lunch. Many items on the menu were crossed out as not available. Can't honestly tell you what I had, but I don't believe it was bad, nor was it really better (or much different) from the food at Luzmila's. It's a grungy hole in the wall and there weren't a ton of customers that day. The other Bolivian place I've been to is Llajtaymanta. All are pretty similar, with Luzmila's being the most crowded at lunch.