What Would You Do?

RaisaB

I know this is not an advice column, BUT what would you do?

My friend and I agreed we would not exchange presents this year. We are having dinner at each others houses so we do bring hostess gifts (or host). Last night she came over and brought me a nice little gift and brought my husband a bottle of Sppringbank Campbeltown Single Malt Scotch aged 21 years. Her husband doesn't drink scotch, so I think this was a "regift". no problem there, but when I looked it up today on the internet, not for the price, but I had never heard of it, the cheapest I saw it for was $605.99! SO my dilemna, should I tell her what she has given us? Or just keep hush about it and share it with her and her family ( I am friends with all brothers and parents). I am leaning towards the keeping hush. All in all I think this is hilarious!

My friend and I agreed we would not exchange presents this year. We are having dinner at each others houses so we do bring hostess gifts (or host). Last night she came over and brought me a nice little gift and brought my husband a bottle of Sppringbank Campbeltown Single Malt Scotch aged 21 years. Her husband doesn't drink scotch, so I think this was a "regift". no problem there, but when I looked it up today on the internet, not for the price, but I had never heard of it, the cheapest I saw it for was $605.99! SO my dilemna, should I tell her what she has given us? Or just keep hush about it and share it with her and her family ( I am friends with all brothers and parents). I am leaning towards the keeping hush. All in all I think this is hilarious!

The value of the bottle is a non-issue. It was a gift. And one that they were not going to drink anyway, right? Next time you're with her and her family, open it up and share it with all who want to enjoy.

Ha! I think they bought that bottle from me.

It is properly, "Campbeltown Loch" 21 year-old BLENDED Scotch whisky, made at Springbank distillers, so it is indeed a rarity, but I sell it for under $100 (because I don't want to embarras the person who gave it to you, that's all I'm saying ;-) )

I tried it recently and it is sublime as all get-out. Very pretty whisky. I enjoyed it a lot. If you'd like to return it to me, I can swap you out for something else.

It probably came from me because I believe I bought all that my supplier had in stock. :)

I would agree with Paul, enjoy it with her and her family next time they visit.

But pour them very little bits, and bring the rest to the next DR.com picnic! :)

Seriously, Springbank does make a blended Scotch under their Campbeltown label, but that's not what you have, Raisa. From my research, your 21-year-old single malt is very special. Click here for some info and tasting notes.

I don't claim to be an expert on single malts, although my darling +1 gifted me with a bottle of Benromach Speyside 21 year old single malt just today. I can't wait to try it!

This bottle is most definately the Single and not the blended. I am not a scotch drinker but I tasted some at her house tonight and it is a very smooth taste. What a great gift for my hiusband! (beats anything I got him!)

Edited by RaisaB

This bottle is most definately the Single and not the blended. I am not a scotch drinker but I tasted some at her house tonight and it is a very smooth taste. What a great gift for my hiusband! (beats anything I got him!)

Raisa are you sure?

Check out the 21-year bottling on Springbank's own site:

http://www.springbankdistillers.com/catego...f3e49b562f75033

This is the bottlling that I sell, and it is definitely a 21-year old blend, as stated on the label. As the site indicates, it's 25 pounds on the 'Net (if ordered in the U.K. I suppose)

If you still insist that you have a different bottling, well then I'd LOVE to see it! These things are of great interest to me.

I am 100% sure. Follow this link, the bottling and the wording is different. I spoke to her about it, and this is a regift, she gets a bottle every year from the corporation her husband works for. It comes with a couple of glasses also.I forgot the name of the glasses but they were amazing too. She kept those! :) SHe has an additional three bottles in her bar! Scotch

I am 100% sure. Follow this link, the bottling and the wording is different. I spoke to her about it, and this is a regift, she gets a bottle every year from the corporation her husband works for. It comes with a couple of glasses also.I forgot the name of the glasses but they were amazing too. She kept those! :)   SHe has an additional three bottles in her bar! Scotch

Ahhhh, okay! Sorry, I was confused when you mentioned the words Campbeltown and also had the 21 year designator in there. I thought you were talking about the Campbeltown Loch 21 year old blend.

Ummm, I think that I could take that sucker off of your hands if you folks don't drink it. Want to trade it to me for store credit? I'll let you know precisely what it is worth, and I'm sure it's worth a LOT.

If your friend doesn't want her bottles, put her in touch with me, I'd be happy to do a little bartering. Goodness knows, I could hook both of you up with some wines that I'd rather sell than have to inventory beginning next week!

Raisa,

That's a heck of a nice corporate holiday gift!

The distillery website lists the 21-yo single malt for 130 lbs, which comes out to about $225, before taxes and shipping, so the price you saw isn't that far off.

As for the glasses, I gave my +1 a pair of Reidel Scotch whisky glasses for our anniversary. I don't want to start another debate about them, but we sure do enjoy drinking our single-malts out of them!

I am 100% sure. Follow this link, the bottling and the wording is different. I spoke to her about it, and this is a regift, she gets a bottle every year from the corporation her husband works for. It comes with a couple of glasses also.I forgot the name of the glasses but they were amazing too. She kept those! :)   SHe has an additional three bottles in her bar! Scotch

Regifting is a dangerous thing. You may unknowingly give someone a Fabrige Egg! And you may only show modesty when your "generosity" is discovered. The giftee, when presented with such an unintentional treasure must only share his/her delight with the giftor, and deliver a statement of astonishment at their generosity. If the gift in question is liquid, a glass of same is in order for all involved!

Shogun, that is funny!

Dean, yes regifting is a scary thing. She admittedly regifted, as it was just a "little" hotess gift. I won't ever tell her what it is worth. as I hope sh regifts the same next year! :)

Edited by RaisaB