Issues With Shipping Wine to a Home Address?

Cooter

I'm considering signing up for the Ridge Monte Bello club, but am a little worried about shipping/delivery issues affecting the wine. I understand that shipping to Virginia requires an adult's signature; that is, they simply can't leave a box outside my door. With my wife and I both working and dealing with a (currently) two year old, I fear that not only will mhy bottles have to eather a cross country journey, but it's also possible that they could spend a day or three in a UPS/FedEx/USPS warehouse heated to god knows what temp.

Are my fears valid?

If you can ship it to a dc address, you can alleviate that issue right away. The other two methods are: to have the shipping service contact you when it arrives and you can pick it up at the routing office with your two year old (I've done that with a Christmas pkg at UPS in Alexandria shipping center). That way, you can sign for it and a FedEx/UPS person can help you take it to your car, or open up a UPS postal box at one of their centers and have the center sign for you and they can text msg you to pick it up.*

*The latter is based on their radio advertisements; I have no personal experience on whether what they advertise works in reality.

Can you ship it to one of your work addresses? We are in a condo bldg so they sign for our packages, but my old law firm in DC used to get shipments for the partners quite frequently. I believe when you miss a delivery you can also call to schedule it at a time you will be around. I think that is one of the options on the sticky note they leave, but not 100% sure.

Before it was legal to ship to VA, a friend would have wine shipped to my DC home and he would pick it up here. I work at home, so it was not an issue about someone over 21 being around to sign for the shipment when it arrived. Do you have a work-at-home friend who would do a similar service for you?

Thanks, all, for the replies! Unfortunately, for package purposes, I work for the government and while getting personal packages is frowned upon, the bigger problem is that mail sometimes takes a few days to get to the recipient after reaching the mail room.

I'll look into seeing if anyone would be willing to accept delivery for me in exchange for some pours in a decade or two. If anyone here wants to volunteer . . .

I have packages shipped to a nearby UPS store, where I have a mailbox. It costs $30 a month, which it's worth to me. Obviously not worth that to everyone.

The federal agency I work for forbids, rather than frowns upon, personal packages.

I have friends who do this. They get all kinds of packages there and it works out fine for them.

I think your concerns are well founded, and I had similar issues with wine delivery when I worked for the government and couldn't receive packages at my work. On at least two occasions I had wine theoretically held for me at the UPS warehouse in Beltsville, only to find when I arrived there that it had made it back on the truck to attempt delivery again, or had been sent back to the winery.