Salt and Pepper Grill I (Howard University), II (Petworth), and III (Brightwood) - Indian and Pakistani Chain with Halal Meat

Rounding the corner after a very satisfying meal at Mama Chuy the other day (go!) I saw Salt and Pepper Grill, a new Pakistani/Indian place on Georgia Ave right across the street from Howard. Has anyone been? Any reports? The menu is pretty typical Indian restaurant fare, but there are a few things I'm looking forward to trying like lamb karahi and and a few goat dishes. Too bad they don't have halim or other Pakistani specialties.

The address is 2632 Georgia Ave, phone 202-588-0666.

Edited to add: first attempt to use this phone number has not been successful as it's been busy all night, but that's what's printed on the menu.

Rounding the corner after a very satisfying meal at Mama Chuy the other day (go!) I saw Salt and Pepper Grill, a new Pakistani/Indian place on Georgia Ave right across the street from Howard. Has anyone been? Any reports? The menu is pretty typical Indian restaurant fare, but there are a few things I'm looking forward to trying like lamb karahi and and a few goat dishes. Too bad they don't have halim or other Pakistani specialties.

The address is 2632 Georgia Ave, phone 202-588-0666.

Edited to add: first attempt to use this phone number has not been successful as it's been busy all night, but that's what's printed on the menu.

A discriminating fancier of Indian food just told be that this place is a gem in the rough.  Anyone been?

Dinner takeout from the 14th and Shepherd (NW) location last night. A friend gets takeout from here semi-regularly. I have been to the GA Ave location once, several years ago, and it was good.

One of our regular dinner companions wanted Indian last night, and this is REALLY close to home. So here we go. And it was tasty. I had Paneer Tikka Masala, the boy had Chicken Biryani (Not what I expected him to order. He's usually a vindaloo guy.) We also had samosas. He had naan (tried to get garlic naan, but ended up with regular.) I had bahtoora - never heard of it before, but it sounded interesting. (I love fry bread. It was a lot like fry bread.) It was all tasty. And cheap. And there was a lot of it. We had dinner last night and we each have at least 2 lunches left. More likely 3.

The other households ordered: lamb rojanjosh and chickpeas (He wanted 2 meals. I think he has 3.), and lamb vindaloo and chickpeas. I KNOW she wanted 2 meals, and she thinks she has 5 or more. (She tried to get regular naan. Ended up with garlic. No, we ordered separately.) Also, she is a chili-fiend, and said that she went through 6 tissues eating the vindaloo. (And the boy says he is getting vindaloo next time!)

It's going into the rotation.

• Like 1

Saturday takeout from the 14th Street location. Again coordinated with the friends, but I forget what they had. I had samosas and paneer pakora. Both delicious. The boy had Shrimp vindilu. He is a hot food person, but this was too much for him. He ate half of it, is going to try to finish the other half, but says he will not get it again.

17 hours ago, saf said:

Saturday takeout from the 14th Street location. Again coordinated with the friends, but I forget what they had. I had samosas and paneer pakora. Both delicious. The boy had Shrimp vindilu. He is a hot food person, but this was too much for him. He ate half of it, is going to try to finish the other half, but says he will not get it again.

Tell him to add some cream or plain yogurt to it after reheating. It will tame the heat.  

5 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

Tell him to add some cream or plain yogurt to it after reheating. It will tame the heat.  

He ate the rest, without much sauce and with all the remaining raita. Said that helped  a lot.