Dinner before 9:30 Club

Rieux

I used to be in tune with all the places on U st, but since moving out of Logan circle I have lost touch. I have tickets to the Trampled by Turtles show tonight and want to meet up with a friend for dinner beforehand. Looking for something near 14 and U -- not too pricey, good food, can get in without reservation around 8. If they have some lighter options, all the better, as I may not want to load up on a burger, etc....

Any thoughts?

A couple of months ago I parked over near Local 16 and ate there before a show at the 9:30 Club. We had reservations, but it did not look like we needed them as there were open tables. It was a Friday night, as I recall, but I cannot be sure. The food is good and reasonably priced. It is an easy walk so we just left the car where it was. A little fresh air on the walk back after a show always helps. :)

Why not just call and make a reservation somewhere?

I used to be in tune with all the places on U st, but since moving out of Logan circle I have lost touch. I have tickets to the Trampled by Turtles show tonight and want to meet up with a friend for dinner beforehand. Looking for something near 14 and U -- not too pricey, good food, can get in without reservation around 8. If they have some lighter options, all the better, as I may not want to load up on a burger, etc....

Any thoughts?

During the weekend, this isn't going to be as easy as you might think. Do you mind sitting at a bar? You might want to try Bar Pilar, Cafe Saint-Ex, Marvin, and Eatonville, with your best chance a bar seat at Eatonville (whose burger, by the way, *is* worth loading up on). If you have no luck on 14th, either duck into Coppi's, or head eastbound on U and see what you find. (The navarin of lamb at Bistro La Bonne is a wonderful dish - get it with a glass of Cotes du Rhone.)

I'm not comfortable with my answer, and it's the "without reservations at 8 PM" part that worries me.

---

ETA, and yes to dcs's suggestion of Local 16 - I think Edan is still consulting with them, and the pizza crust I had there was excellent even though he wasn't making the pizzas.

During the weekend, this isn't going to be as easy as you might think. Do you mind sitting at a bar? You might want to try Bar Pilar, Cafe Saint-Ex, Marvin, and Eatonville, with your best chance a bar seat at Eatonville (whose burger, by the way, *is* worth loading up on). If you have no luck on 14th, either duck into Coppi's, or head eastbound on U and see what you find. (The navarin of lamb at Bistro La Bonne is a wonderful dish - get it with a glass of Cotes du Rhone.)

I'm not comfortable with my answer, and it's the "without reservations at 8 PM" part that worries me.

---

ETA, and yes to dcs's suggestion of Local 16 - I think Edan is still consulting with them, and the pizza crust I had there was excellent even though he wasn't making the pizzas.

Thanks! Coppi's is an old favorite of mine - that might be my default. Or Bistro Le Bonne, if we are feeling French.

I have not been to Eatonville yet, so maybe the bar there is a good choice. We love sitting at bars, so that could work. I've been to St. Ex, Pilar, Marvin a million times -- I just feel like I have not been keeping up on the new places that pop up seemingly every week.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you like ethiopian, and are concerned about the logistical (potentially) nightmare that is "8pm friday no rez," Zenebech Injera is legit. Zero atmosphere but does it matter when the food's good and the booze flows? You could just split one platter (say Baby Lamb Tibs from the owner's family's farm in Md.), thereby not waddling up Florida to the 930.

Oh, and that whole 8pm Friday thing? not a problem.

The bar at Eatonville has never had a soul at it, in my experience, if thats more your thing.

Pilar, while still the best restuarant in the 'hood, would be an absolute madhouse; the recent reopening and expansion cannot help matters either, me thinks.