Low-Key, Quiet Environment for Reading and Nibbling near Rock Creek Golf Course

Anna Blume

I'm sure this is too late to help you, but it might help someone in the future - I'm assuming you were out strolling and are extremely downscale. Let's have a look at that vicinity (obviously, a bus or cab will open up your options). My confidence level in these answers is shaky at best, so please use them only as a starting point.

North: Up 16th Street, you'll find nothing except Walter Reed.

East: Your best bet. 14th St, 13th St, and Georgia Ave might have some little hole-in-the-wall sleepers in that area, perhaps over by Emery Recreation Center on Georgia.

South: Down 16th Street, you have the tennis center which is a dead zone for commerce.

West: Nothing but parkland until you get close to Comet Ping Pong.

If I were on foot, I would head east over to Georgia Ave between Ingraham and Jefferson, and see what you find there. Good luck - you're in a tough culinary spot, and hopping on a southbound bus toward Mount Pleasant wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks, all. It was an absolutely glorious day, so I packed a lunch, walked over to Rock Creek Park and found a bench near the water. Strolled through woods, perched on a rock in the middle of the creek and read some pretty wonderful essays, blissful that we live in city where one can pretend one does not given surroundings. Hiked up dales and down. Saw where the first chipmunk I've seen in years hides...then another. Swooping wings of predatory bird that perched in a tree only yards away and virtually disappeared into the bark, except for profile. Horse dropping trails. Horses. Dogs. Yoga enthusiasts doing the down dog and saluting the sun on perimeters of corral. Pink blossoms on tree, nightshade-like. No morels, alas. Four hours later, phone in pocket... Not in the mood for coffee or politics, headed to CVS where Haagen Das was on sale, and with Thursday's quart of ripe, local strawberries back home, a domestic interlude ensued.

Four hours later, phone in pocket... Not in the mood for coffee or politics, headed to CVS where Haagen Das was on sale, and with Thursday's quart of ripe, local strawberries back home, a domestic interlude ensued.

So you did go west across the park - this is the CVS on Connecticut and Fessenden, I assume? Sounds like a perfect afternoon. Next time you're in a similar situation there, try Terasol and let us know how it is. (I've been in, walked around, and looked at the food - from what I can see, it's a place for a slice of quiche and a green salad.)

It's scary how knowledgable I am.