CiCi's pizza is made to suit the price you pay.

But what makes CiCi's completely intolerable isn't the food - it's the other customers. If you ever wondered what it's like to be on a cruise ship when they put out the food, save yourself a few hundred/thousand dollars and go to CiCi's instead. The school of human piranhas lining up at the buffet as one of the more "desirable" pizzas (pepperoni/sausage/etc) is put up, or when they put out some of those fresh-baked cinnamon sticks, will remind you why we should all be very glad that civilization hasn't broken down yet.

Competing with other oft-unwashed hands for food is not my idea of a "fun" dining experience. And it seems the worse the adults behave, the worse their children do.

As for Paisano's, they're *very* hit-or-miss. The problem is it's usually a miss. Santini's, however, has rarely served me a bad pie.

• Like 1

In a prior life I actually did some lawyering for the Boston folks who bought the Uno franchise rights. Yes, the pizza is nowhere near the original Uno's, but....having said that....

On its worst day, the worst pizza at the worst Uno location in the country is light years better than the garbage served at Cici's or Chuck E. Cheese. Same for Vocelli, not even close. Ledo is pretty bad, but still not the worst. Pizza Hut is much worse than Vocelli's.

I have 7-year-old twins. I know about bad pizza. :lol:

Regarding Armands and Ledo, I think there is a failure to distinguish between the original product and the multiple spinoffs. Both of these businessess did a lousy job with their franchise efforts in terms of quality, IMO. I like the pizza from the original Ledos (now in College Park), which I buy half cooked and finish on the silpat on high heat. An occasional visit to the Armands on Wisconsin Avenue (soon to close, btw) for the "classic" is generally satisfactory. I would never frequent any of their offspring.

7-11 pizza. Hey...I've never been asked if I want fresh slices? Do they actually exist?

Well, not fresh but they will prepare a new pie on request. The new style pizza at 7-11 is surprisingly edible and it is only one dollar or thereabouts. I definitely would not put it on the worst pizza list - it's not going to inspire any love songs but it's better than you might think.

My worst pizza experience:

Driving across the country on an endless-seeming highway through Kansas sometime in the mid-1970's, we are hungry, it is night and it seems like hundreds of miles between towns. Nothing visible from the road, we head into some small town and find only a Pizza Hut open. We take a seat, look at the menu. The teen-age waiter approaches.

Me: I'll have a plain pizza.

Waiter: You want cheese on that? It's extra.

Me: There's no cheese on a plain pizza?

Waiter: That's a cheese pizza.

Me: So what's a plain pizza--just crust and tomato sauce?

Waiter: That's right.

Me: I guess I'll have a cheese pizza.

Canned sauce and rubbery cheese on a cardboard crust. As we are getting up to leave, I hear someone at the next table order a "hamburger pizza" and as we are paying the cashier we can see it being made: the cook reaches into a cooler, pulls out a frozen crust, reaches into a bin of crumbled, cooked hamburger meat, scoops a big double handful and spreads it on the naked crust, then puts it into the oven, No sauce, no cheese...

• Like 2

[Can't say I'm thrilled with this topic, but I don't know where else to put these posts.]

Is there anything truly worse than gray-colored pizza (be it a jumbo slice, convenience store, etc.)? Elementary school cafeteria and bowling alley pizza is genuinely bad as well, bowling alleys may be the worst of all.

Jon Karl enjoys his time at Bowl America, Sterling, with Rick Santorum.

http://news.yahoo.co...-112520804.html

I've been training him for his celebrity tennis match against Darrell Green tonight at Kastles Stadium ($2 beer, $5 mixed drinks all night long).

12 hours ago, weezy said:

Totally agree.  

Secret ingredients, shitty pizza.  Papa Johns. B)

A friend of mine said it best - Papa John's isn't a pizza delivery service, they're a pepper and garlic sauce delivery service (this was before they started selling dessert items).  Which makes a lot of sense when you see how many 'free' pizzas they give away.

About twenty years ago, my BFF and I had to return early from a vacation in Charleston because her dad was ill. It was Sunday night and her birthday and we were exhausted.  We made it as far north as Emporia when we decided we couldn't go any further. After getting a room at a pretty crappy motel, we drove and drove, looking for a place to eat. The only place open on a late Sunday night was a Pizza Hut. You know how they say there's no such thing as bad pizza? Well, that's not true. This pizza was beyond bad, beyond disgusting. It was a gray, hard disk  covered with gross sauce and plastic cheese. Worst pizza of our lives, but, intestingly, something we look back upon often. 

• Like 1

As to Pizza Hut, Papa Johns and Dominoes the 3 large nationwide pizza chains.  I believe they do about $20 billion+ in annual sales, most of it in the US and most of it pizza.  Man they advertise a lot.  (guess they have to...I know its not the quality).  The office where I work out of most of the time sits in a small building above a papa johns(pj) in courthouse in Arlington.  I don't pay attention to this now but I was aware of 3 different Wilson Blvd pizza places with drivers for delivery.  PJ had the most deliverers.  (the pizza places sometimes shared deliverers).  I spoke w/ some of them. PJ did the most deliveries. (and this is an excellent delivery area with so many residents in so many high rise units) I've spoken with some of the local PJ staffers who operate this relatively big PJ franchise group  The Arlington location does  a lot of business.   They have other locations that crush it in volume.  All I can say is that an awful lot of people eat an awful lot of PH, PJ, and dominoes.  

I've eaten my fair share of PJ, PH, and Dominoes.  They all are lousy.  They are better than crusty old 7-11 pizza imho opinion.  Actually a lot better...and they are terrible.  

Ever since the bartending school located in the 2nd floor above this PJ, students from the school have flocked into the store.  They do a lot of business.  Before this school moved into the 2nd floor there was a computer training school on the 2nd floor.  Their students NEVER ate at the PJ's.  So the PJ store has rewarded the staff with a healthy discount.  Even with that I simply don't eat the pizza much.  (sucks).  (shhhh)  Now as a staff we'll purchase pizza....and I'll eat it and I do order it some times, but for convenient and inexpensive as it is, I don't order it much....(probably more likely the chicken pieces or wings) 

A little observation:  I do all this "local business search optimization"   Reviews are important for local businesses.  About 2 years ago I did this "study" on which review sites get the most volume of reviews for restaurants.  Just volume not quality.   Did a wide variety of places in the greater DC region stretching to the outer suburbs, all kinds of places, including places that had recently closed;  new, well established, huge variety of menu types and price points.  Then I looked at a reasonably large number of other metropolitan areas.  Looked at big cities, but specifically looked at smaller cities and away from the two coasts, simply b/c Yelp had focused on the largest cities and the right and left coasts.  The list included places like Omaha, Erie, etc etc....and certainly far larger cities.  I chose some restaurant categories.  One of them was Italian restaurants.  Then I used some kind of random sampler to pull restaurants by ranking in each category from a list provided by google.  Then I compared the review totals to a group of national sites with reviews.

Outside of all that, when you get to smaller urban areas and even mid sized ones, there are a lot of "crappy restaurants" in a lot of cities/urban areas.  Lots of smaller urban areas where the dominant "Italian restaurants" seem to be the big 3 pizza places and/or chain Italian restaurants.

We are fortunate here.  We have a lot of choices.  Some are excellent.  OTOH having read the above I doubt I'll eat pizza at Cici's in MoGo County. :D   Tx for the commentary.  Don't think I'll eat pizza in St Louis either.  

As to which websites had the most restaurant reviews:  Yelp won in quantity over any other national site 2 years ago.  It won by a good bit in the smaller cities where it doesn't have a powerful web presence and where its website zooms to the top of search results (before google totally monopolized the top of its own pages).  Facebook has relatively TONS of reviews, though less than yelp.  Amazingly restaurants without FB pages could get lots of reviews, sometimes really a lot.  And then there is something additionally amazing about FB reviews.  If you write a review for a restaurant or any local service on FB, your FB friends won't see it.  If you put it on your FB timeline they see it.  Pretty sneaky and slick by FB.  I put a couple of rave reviews on my FB timeline.  Two " search optimization people" I'm somewhat friendly with who lived in outer VA suburbs...and far outer Va suburbs came into the close in burbs to get some of that food.  They loved it.

Anyway powerful testimonials from people you know are more powerful than just straight reviews.  And even if you don't know them...if for instance you read much of their commentary on the web and respect their opinions....that is powerful.  I, for one, go to restaurants recommended here.  Also I'll avoid Cici's   ;)

Little Caesar's. Only had it once, I think it's made with paste, crushed saltines, off-brand ketchup, and melted linoleum. It really did have a kinda petroleum flavor.

I have to give them credit for coming up with this idea. Though I'm sure the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

little-caesars-bacon-pizza*1200xx1125-63

• Like 1