Quality Side Dishes

The Doctor

Call me Eric Cartman, but I'm a firm believer that side dishes enhance any meal. This weekend, I'll be attending what will likely be the first of many summer cookouts, and I feel the need to bring a side dish or two. I would strongly prefer to outsource their preparation.

Does anyone have any ideas so I don't have to resort to industrial grade grocery store macaroni salad?

I'm open to all suggestions, but in this particular instance, something from lower DC or northern Virginia would be most convenient.

Thanks for reading!

Lebanese Taverna, Market, by-the-pound *everything*, chilled and ready to order. Super convenient, super fresh. Includes a wide variety of options for vegetarians and other special diets, definite crowd pleasers for summer. No need to call ahead for your order, but there is a chance of striking out on parking every now and then, which may add a few minutes to your trip. When you arrive, watch out to see if the numbering system is in effect---you might need to grab a tabbed number near the cold case to secure your spot in the quickly moving queue.

Here's an idea - you can get all kinds of side dishes from authentic Chinese restaurants. Big platter of jellyfish? How about some pigs ears? Roast duck? Roast beef with tripe and tendon in hot sauce? Spicy cold noodles? Check out Hong Kong Palace and your favorite Cantonese restaurant!

i'd second the lebanese taverna reccomendation. i am very fond of the loubieh, the green bean/tomato stew, the stuffed zucchini, and the moussaka, but everything's good. and as a treat for yourself pick up some of their garlic sauce--good on just about everything, imho, but particularly delicious when eaten with fries (which they have there too). also, what about trader joe's? every time i go there's a ton of stuff in the refrigerated and freezer sections that i think would be great to take to a party.

I too think LT Market is a good idea (that green bean tomato dish is killer good). I would also add that the Italian Store is a great place too. I like their little peppers stuffed with salami, pasta salad, antipasta salad, they have a great broccoli and tomato with blue cheese side that is really good, and a handful of others. It rotates.

Heidelberg Bakery for pretzels or german potato salad.

Eden Center or Le Bledo Dalat (sp?) are great places to get some Vietnamese side dishes and/or rolls.

Society Fair is another good stop. I really love their citrus salad, soba noodles, pickles, bread, rillettes, etc.