Baohaus, Eddie and Evan Huang's Bao and Taiwanese Bowls on 14th St. and 2nd Ave. in East Village

I have to say we were a little underwhelmed by Baohaus. This spot came to our attention when they did a “pop-up” collaboration last fall with Toki Underground in DC, and we really enjoyed their bao there. On this New York trip we were arriving late on Friday night, and were looking for someplace where we could get a little snack, that wasn’t too expensive, and that was open quite late. In all three categories Baohaus delivered. It just wasn’t that great.

Not sure if this is helpful at all. I wouldn’t advise you not to go, but I kind of doubt I’ll be back if that makes sense. If I lived in that neighborhood I’d probably pop in every now and then when I wanted bao, particularly to go, and didn’t want to wait in long lines for something from Momofuku. But when I'm in New York from out of town I think there are too many other good places in the East Village alone for me to stop in again.

After lunch at Momofuku, Baohaus was conveniently on my route over to Union Square Park.  Lunch Part 2.

Baohaus is dark, loud, grafitti punk hip hop meets Albany goth club circa early 1990s.  The bao here are mini bite size versions and an order is for a single bao.  The Chairman Bao (pork belly $4) didn't stand much chance against David Chang's, but then again I was the only customer in the place and therefore didn't have to wait 20 minutes for a seat.  The Uncle Jesse (fried tofu $3.50) was really good, in fact I enjoyed it more than the Chairman Bao.

Much like DCDuck's experience, probably not worth a special detour, but if you are in the area and need a quick snack, it's worth stopping in.

After lunch at Momofuku, Baohaus was conveniently on my route over to Union Square Park.  Lunch Part 2.

Baohaus is dark, loud, grafitti punk hip hop meets Albany goth club circa early 1990s.  The bao here are mini bite size versions and an order is for a single bao.  The Chairman Bao (pork belly $4) didn't stand much chance against David Chang's, but then again I was the only customer in the place and therefore didn't have to wait 20 minutes for a seat.  The Uncle Jesse (fried tofu $3.50) was really good, in fact I enjoyed it more than the Chairman Bao.

Much like DCDuck's experience, probably not worth a special detour, but if you are in the area and need a quick snack, it's worth stopping in.

It's worth stopping in and giving them money *just because* it's called "Baohaus" and there's a menu item called "Chairman Bao" - both names are hi-larious.