Bacio Pizzeria, Bloomingdale - "Make Your Own" Pizza at 1st Street and Seaton Place

I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread on this place yet as we have a few members who live in the neighborhood. Pretty much everyone I have talked to about this place really likes it, but unfortunately I am not seeing eye to eye with them.

The first time I went I picked up the Create Your Own Calzone with tomato sauce, ham, mushrooms, and fresh mozzarellla. I don't know if it's the conveyor-belt-style oven or the overuse of pizza flour but the texture and surface of this was all wrong for me. It was cooked but had very little crunch outside of the very end of each side. The abundance of pizza flour also gave it kind of a "sandy" crunch with each bit that was not at all to my taste. Nothing so bad that I wouldn't eat it again but definitely not worth the calories for me.

I talked to a couple neighbors about this and they were surprised and told me to give the regular pizza a chance a week back. I ordered a small Eckington with added prosiciutto (the more pork the better when it comes to average pizza IMO). What I got was a $15, somewhat small pizza that had the same issues noted above. Again, I don't know enough about pizzamaking to specifically identify how they could fix these problems, but at this price point they have to. It's not good enough to be $13 for a pretty small pizza with what I feel are middle of the road ingredients.

http://www.baciopizzeria.com/

Bacio is average-to-good pizza, and arguably a step down from Rustik (although I've had some clunkers there), but it offers three things I value:

1) Proximity: it's the only good pizza I can walk to (save Rustik)

2) Speed: I have dialed them walking out of my door and my order has been ready shortly after I arrived

3) Gluten free crusts. This is the kicker. Rustik had hoped to serve GF pizza when they first opened, but it never materialized.

And the owners are nice; they've never hesitated to make right on their order mistakes. If we are out somewhere driving and are picking up on the way home Pete's is still our first choice, but Bacio fills a need.

The gluten-free crust was available when we went to visit Bacio last Saturday night. My boyfriend and I had been looking forward to visiting, but for some reason I didn't anticipate that Bacio was really only suited for carry out pizza.

They did have a makeshift table (a converted wooden cart wagon) that they made room for us to sit at, and it was actually very pleasant albeit a bit awkward at first.

We thoroughly enjoyed our gluten-free "Seaton" w/ pesto, roasted red peppers, and prosciutto, and small hand-tossed "Bloomingdale" w/ tomato sauce, tomatoes, and prosciutto. It was actually the best gluten-free crust we've had (slightly better than Pete's and much better than Homemade PIzza), and both pizzas had just enough char on the bottom and chew throughout the crust. The small pizzas were about 10-inch with the gluten-free crust appearing slightly smaller.

We are looking forward to going again, it was solidly prepared food, honest ingredients, and charming neighborhood atmosphere (even for a carryout).

We thoroughly enjoyed our gluten-free "Seaton" w/ pesto, roasted red peppers, and prosciutto, and small hand-tossed "Bloomingdale" w/ tomato sauce, tomatoes, and prosciutto. It was actually the best gluten-free crust we've had (slightly better than Pete's and much better than Homemade PIzza)

I think Bacio uses Still RIding GF pizza crusts. A lot of places actually use this company's product for their GF pies since it's basically a ready made option; just add toppings, no dedicated prep required and they take care of the "prepared in a GF environment" for you (of course, those pizzas are still just cooked in the same ovens ...). We thought Pete's used them, too, but I don't think that is the case (at least any more). The only place I'm fairly sure makes their own GF crusts in the area is Rustico, which is primarily chickpea flour based

(No posts about this place in four years!)

My first visit was last night.  One post above says that it is suitable only for carryout.  Now there are many tables outside (it finally stopped raining!), and I think that I saw tables inside but am not sure.

Pizza crust is still as described above in DPop's first post (no heat-generated crunch, plenty of "sand" on the bottom).  I liked it for what it was.  You can create your own pizza, or choose from their nice and varied suggestions.

On an early evening, it was a lovely place to sit outside, drink a DC Brau, eat some perfectly fine food, and marvel at the good and bad of rapid gentrification.

• Like 1