New Orleans Po Boy Shop - Owners Cam McNair and Justin Snyder in South Dupont - Closed Dec 20, 2013

Last week I tried the smoked ham and cheese. This is no ordinary "ham and cheese"--I chomped down and thought, wait a sec, they gave me smoked pork instead of ham...duh! Anywho, it was quite tasty. And I liked the bread as it was crusty in a good way, and not too thick to be overbearing on the sandwich. The downside is that it is very messy (or maybe that is just me!) I hate bread that is hard and crusty in that it cuts the roof of my mouth. Earlier in the week I had a sub from Taylor's and thought their bread was too thick and unremarkable. I actually scooped out some of the bread before I ate my sub.

Today I tried the blackened meatloaf sandwich, boy what a difference. First off, I didn't fear for my shirt with a super messy gravy. Second, the bread was very airy this time around--but not so crusty. The meatloaf itself could have been a bit spicier but I didn't avail myself to the hot sauce before leaving with my carry out. Easily the best of my three visits.

I just ate too much. I blame this place. I ate gumbo and crawfish etouffee.

First let me start with the amazing to die for gumbo. It’s gumbo. It had a tad too much oregano in it but after the first few bites it seemed necessary to counter balance just the right amount of heat. Bayou Bakery, take note, there is no tomato in gumbo.

Now, the crawfish etouffee. I gotta hand it to the chefs the crawfish are good although not from around here. Also, THERE IS NO Tomato IN this etouffee as is the proper and correct way to make it. I didn’t love the consistency or flavor but it was good, but not like my
grandmother’s and we all know how that is.

I’d have the gumbo again and now I’m curious how they deal with tomatoes so I’m going for the creole next. I noticed bread got a lot of attention up-thread. I think Gambino’s bread is great and I heard from another in the office that their bread and fry were spot on (shrimp/oyster). She’s from the Atchafalaya Basin so not totally sure she can be trusted.

• Like 1

I had the Andouille po boy for lunch today. Simply put, it was damn good. I am not a po boy bread expert, but whatever bread this was, whether traditional or not, was very good. The sandwich was loaded with Andouille, but was not overpacked. It was also juicy enough, but not so juicy/greasy that the sandwich was falling apart. Overall, this is one of many sandwiches that I will get here over the next few months.

On the other hand, I will not be returning for the crab boil potato salad. While I give them props for serving a legit amount for a legit price ($1.50), I can say that I only finished half of it because it was devoid of flavor. I felt that the "sauce" had almost no flavor and the potatoes really had no flavor. When making potato salad, I don't think that it is as simple as making the sauce, making the potatoes and slapping it together, the potatoes should be seasoned as they are cooked. Next time I go there, I will stick with one of the many flavors of Zapp's chips that they have.

And, does anyone know the story behind the Heinz Ketchup costing like $50+? I meant to ask the guy working there, but forgot until I was already a block away.

And, does anyone know the story behind the Heinz Ketchup costing like $50+? I meant to ask the guy working there, but forgot until I was already a block away.

Because you're not supposed to put ketchup on a po boy?

Kind of like the $1000 Coors Lights at Little Miss Whiskey's... ;)

l.jpg

• Like 1

The sandwich du jour today at N.O.P.B. is the "Nuclear Po'boy a la Littlejohns." I'm fairly certain that you need to be drunk or hung over and in Charlottesville (or be nostalgic about being drunk or hung over and in Charlottesville) to enjoy this combination of turkey, pulled pork, coleslaw, hot sauce, and muenster. But for anyone so inclined, they nailed it, right down to the orange-tinged coleslaw juice running down my arm. I might need another.

• Like 2

Me again with some additional thoughts:

1. I think they cook food fresh every day because my food tasted different
today than last time.

2. The GUMBO is to die for yummy and today there was still heat but not too

much oregano.

3. There is no shrimp creole on the menu any longer and I"m sad
and will have to cook it myself which also makes me sad.

4. Today's SHRIMP ETOUFEE had too much flour in the roux. It was
bland. Very bland. The shrimp were obviously cooked separately with
"Cajun seasoning" all over it. odd. I don't like it. Makes we worry
this shrimp was supposed to be part of a po-boy but got all left over and is
now my lunch. Pure speculation. Upside, shrimp are HUGE.

• Like 1

The sandwich du jour today at N.O.P.B. is the "Nuclear Po'boy a la Littlejohns."  I'm fairly certain that you need to be drunk or hung over and in Charlottesville (or be nostalgic about being drunk or hung over and in Charlottesville) to enjoy this combination of turkey, pulled pork, coleslaw, hot sauce, and muenster.  But for anyone so inclined, they nailed it, right down to the orange-tinged coleslaw juice running down my arm.  I might need another.

HOW DID I MISS THIS? Oh god. Just thinking about it makes me lust for one...or to go down to C'ville, get hammered, and hit LJ's late night...