That is unfortunate. I can't imagine that block without Armand's It looks like other locations will stay in business though.

I just watched the whole thing. At the very end, things don't sound quite as fateful - it's implied that they're amenable to remaining open if some bailout money appears.

Also, note that Armand's opened in 1975, and is on the list of Oldest Restaurants in the Area.

14 minutes ago, Kev29 said:

There isn't a single bar in the large part of Silver Spring between downtown, Wheaton, Four Corners and Kensington. Someone take over their liqueur license and hook me up!

The 4 Corners Pub is still up and running.  In existence since 1967.   Just checked their web site and glanced at reviews.  It appears to be the same type of neighborhood bar/hangout/probably sports bar that I recall from the late '70s/early '80's.  Per one review, parking still limited.  Need a bar in the neighborhood?   It's been serving locals for 50+ years.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveO said:

The 4 Corners Pub is still up and running.  In existence since 1967.   Just checked their web site and glanced at reviews.  It appears to be the same type of neighborhood bar/hangout/probably sports bar that I recall from the late '70s/early '80's.  Per one review, parking still limited.  Need a bar in the neighborhood?   It's been serving locals for 50+ years.

Yep I hit the Corner Pub every now and then. Still good, food way better than average for a neighborhood bar. Not really my hood (hence Four Corners as the eastern edge of my imaginary bar desert map above) but certainly an easy Uber. 

I don’t actually go to these places but can think of three of them.  The Limerick Pub in Wheaton on Elkin Street.  McGinty’s Public House on Ellsworth Dr. in downtown Silver Spring, and Quarry House Tavern in Silver Spring.  I would like to see more business development on the eastern side of MoCo, I'm seeing a lot of empty buildings.  The Discovery Building is half empty right now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Go for Gin said:

I don’t actually go to these places but can think of three of them.  The Limerick Pub in Wheaton on Elkin Street.  McGinty’s Public House on Ellsworth Dr. in downtown Silver Spring, and Quarry House Tavern in Silver Spring.  I would like to see more business development on the eastern side of MoCo, I'm seeing a lot of empty buildings.  The Discovery Building is half empty right now.

Sorry yeah, my post wasn't really clear. I meant there are bars in downtown Silver Spring, Four Corners, Wheaton and (1 in) Kensington but nothing in between (Woodside, Montgomery Hills, Forest Glen, etc). Used to be a Dietle's right next to that Armand's when I was a kid. 

The new-ish Meleket Ethiopian restaurant has a sizable bar and often has music on Saturday nights. It is next door to the now-closed Armands. The owner and servers at Meleket are very friendly and you can get a tasty sambusa (get the lentil one!) with your beer. Tim Carman wrote up the place a few months ago https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/restaurants/meleket-is-a-sweet-taste-of-eritrean-cooking/2017/11/27/61887e1c-cfc2-11e7-81bc-c55a220c8cbe_story.html?utm_term=.dd555b128ddb

• Thanks 1