Old-School, Nostalgic Italian in the Theater District with my Mom

goodeats

Hi All,

I'm taking my mom to NYC for weekend trip and would love to take her to a really nice Italian restaurant. She has nostalgia for an excellent Italian restaurant in the theatre/broadway district that we went to back in 1992. Mom has never forgotten it but I think the restaurant is no longer there (based on some initial research, I assume it's the now closed Mama Leone's). It was her life-changing moment on Italian food. Is there something similar or better?

I don't know where we're staying at, but presumably somewhere in Manhattan.

Thanks for your help!

She has nostalgia for an excellent Italian restaurant in the theatre/broadway district that we went to back in 1992.

If you are in the Theater District you might want to consider Orso. I have had some pretty good meals there. Plus, it is quite possible you might spy a celebrity or two, if you think that is something she might like. It always seems to excite my parents.

Elsewhere in town, I can report an enjoyable afternoon at Lupa last year with a large group of friends trying to eat our way through the menu. It is probably more casual in atmosphere than Orso, if that matters.