Lunch between DC and Atlantic City

AlexC

I am heading up to Atlantic City on Saturday and was thinking of building in a tasty lunch somewhere along the way.

Any good places off 95 between here and Philly, closer to Philly the better, or any other suggestions that make sense given the general direction we'll be headed?

Edit To Add: MDT points out that Philly may not make sense as a stop -- for those that have driven between DC and AC, lemme know about things that are actually on the way...

Thanks so much!

Alex

Going to AC via Philly is not the most direct route, but if you are going to be close why not stop off at Tony Luke's in Philly?

I am not sure of our route, honestly. I just kinda assumed we'd head to Philly and then cut over, but I'm sure we'll take whatever is the fastest way... So if Philly is out, what's good on the way?

Philly is 35-45 minutes or more (when you consider traffic) out of the way. I 95 to NJ Turnpike, exit 3 which winds to the AC Expressway. Tony Luke's now has eight or more outposts with one of them in Sicklersville which is a couple of hundred yards off of the AC Expressway. https://maps.google....ville,+NJ+08081 This will be about 35 or 40 minutes this side of AC. It doesn't have the character of the original but apparently is the same sub. Roast pork is their signature. For myself character is part of the taste.

If you're looking for something closer I would give serious consideration to Chap's Pit Beef on route 40 a few blocks off of I 95. Arguably it's the best of all the Baltimore pit beef "palaces." http://www.chapspitbeef.com/index.php Good fries to go with their pit beef. This is Diners, Drive-ins and Dives visit to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE8xDMvKWU0

I'd also consider waiting until AC and go to the White House Sub Shop at Mississippi and Arctic with Chef Vola's for dinner. Both are Beard winners as "American Classics."

We ended up starting late and just racing straight to AC. What an expensive Saturday night.

I did get a White House Italian sub on Sunday -- the bread was great, the sub was huge, it was tasty and what I needed.

Anyone know of any good place to stop along Rte 40 through NJ? We tend towards the Elmer diner and it is OK, better than some of the other places along the way that we've tried. I suspect there's at least something better somewhere along the way. Yes, I know of Sugarland subs in Mays Landing, that's good stuff; I like their Italian CC sub better than White House's. Also, the Mays Landing diner is retty good too - the best diner we've tried on that route. Any others?

I'm thinking decent sit-down Italian, Greek, or other like that - but will settle for a BBQ, diner or another sandwich place recommendation.