What Are You Doing In Your Kitchen Right Now?

LauraB

Getting ready to put together my version of shrimp 'n grits, which is a variant of New Orleans BBQ shrimp but adds lots of diced tomato and fresh basil. I always plant some basil then have to find ways to use it. Not too hard!

Not inside, but out on the grill, cast iron frying pan socca. Wow. A-freaking-mazing made with rosemary olive oil in the batter and in the pan (go WaPo food section). Now I get it! With the high heat it is so much better than the ones I made inside. Crispy, thin crust with a smooth interior, smoky flavor melding with the rosemary. *sigh* And apologies to everyone in Alexandria and northward - that was me grilling outside who made it pour rain. :o

We have four houses on our street with new neighbors in them, so we're having a block party tonight, and I'm making some kalamata olive, rosemary tapenade for it. We lost some great people, but are looking forward to making new friends. :)

• Like 2

Right now, I'm sitting in front of the computer.  However, this morning I went to the farmers market at 18th & Columbia Road and found a one POUND box of basil for $8. So, I went home plucked, washed, and spun-dried the basil until I got tired.  I put the remainder in a gallon-sized Ziplock Bag. I didn't have enough pine nuts, so I went to the Metro Market a block or so away and got some more.  And, took the box and the huge plastic bag the basil came in back to the farmer's truck. I had three cups of pesto in the fridge by 11 am. The three large beets I also bought this morning were wrapped in aluminum foil and roasted in the oven while all this was going on. And, yes, I'm feeling quite virtuous.

• Like 2

Good on you, Barbara!

I've got the leftover rotisserie chicken & carcass in the crockpot right now, to take the meat off the bone and to get some stock.  Roasted some leftover corn and took that off the cob and will use half for salsa tonight on some grilled chicken thighs, and half will go with the crockpot chicken meat for some enchilada filling.  The stock from the chicken will go with the corncobs I saved and I'll add to that and make a  soup base that I'll freeze for colder weather.

Putting away groceries.  My mother always brought the groceries in from the car immediately and put everything in its place promptly and efficiently. I do my best to make sure the most perishable stuff is not out of refrigeration long, but my attention span for putting away groceries is very short :rolleyes: .

Packing up the last of the food/utensils/gadgets/etc. because the kitchen will be demolished in the next week or so!! It'll emerge like a butterfly from its cocoon of a shitstorm in 4 months or so (more than the kitchen is being renovated).

Packing up the last of the food/utensils/gadgets/etc. because the kitchen will be demolished in the next week or so!! It'll emerge like a butterfly from its cocoon of a shitstorm in 4 months or so (more than the kitchen is being renovated).

9634137679_b59550af8e.jpg

This was our "kitchen" for 4 months. I had a microwave opposite on the folding table, and occasionally used a single burner on the dryer.

Good times :unsure:

• Like 1