I'm constantly shocked when I read about fine dining/drinking in Hampden. In 1989-90, I lived on W. 35th St. and the only places to eat were corner bars and the diner on the Avenue. The community was all white, all Baltimoron and any diversity was quickly drummed out of the area.

I'm happy Hampden has become such a bright spot.

Me too. We visited friends in Baltimore for 4 days recently (went to the 2 Yankee/Orioles games that NY won... go Yankees... but I digress...). At any rate, some of our friends live in Hampden and we managed to go to the street fair that Saturday. Not every street fair has a toilet race. Nice.

By the way, I found the wine/cheese store off the main street to be excellent. Really knowledgable, friendly and well stocked in both areas.

On 5/31/2012 at 9:46 PM, DrXmus said:

I'm constantly shocked when I read about fine dining/drinking in Hampden. In 1989-90, I lived on W. 35th St. and the only places to eat were corner bars and the diner on the Avenue. The community was all white, all Baltimoron and any diversity was quickly drummed out of the area.

As of 2018 , Hampden has flourished into a destination spot outside of Baltimore city. Spots like Foraged Eatery have taken Spike Gjerde's farm to table to new level. I think the guys behind this outpost are  former sous who used to work for Spike. My last visit to Baltimore was to the Belvedere Square, the city's version of Union Market. I met a bartender that gave me the tasty scoop of what to try while venturing throughout the city. He too was a former employee of Spike's. I think if you live in Baltimore, it is safe to say Spike is the Kevin Bacon of Baltimore.  At one point or or another, you have worked for the Gjerde's. 

I asked Chris, the bartender, what I should try at the Market. The first syllable out of his mouth. Mussels. Smoked Mussels that is. This smokery would make a NY'ker blush. It would give Russ & Daughters some stiff competition. Its that good.  Smoked New Zealand  mussels doused with herbs that I  can't quite put my finger on, but it reminded me of the herbs to cure pastrami.  I only wished I had a heel of sour dough to sop up the oil out of the shells. There were several other stops I made at the Market that includes a stop at Attman's,  vegan chocolate stand, a juice bar, and a fermented food bar. I need to go back to spend more time at each outpost. 

Hampden has more to offer than scenesters, the equivalent to the infamous, "hipster". 

I like it, Hon,

kat

14 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

When I first came to Baltimore lo those many years ago, the only dining advice i got regarding Hampden was, "Do not go into Hampden."

I sense you have a discerning palate, and I am here to inform you Hampden has evolved into the hottest neighborhood in Baltimore. Present day, people are flocking to Hampden. Times have changed. 

You will like it, Hon,

kat

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 7:43 AM, kitkatpaddywak said:

I sense you have a discerning palate, and I am here to inform you Hampden has evolved into the hottest neighborhood in Baltimore. Present day, people are flocking to Hampden. Times have changed. 

You will like it, Hon,

kat

LOL I know quite well. I first came to Baltimore in 1978. Attended my 35th college reunion last April. Quite familiar with the evolution of Hampden (and Remington :lol:).

On 1/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, Bob Wells said:

LOL I know quite well. I first came to Baltimore in 1978. Attended my 35th college reunion last April. Quite familiar with the evolution of Hampden (and Remington :lol:).

I have a tendency to miss the cue in postings. I should have concluded that you know of the dining renaissance that is occurring  in your hood.I love Bar Clavel, and  WC Harlan. Best additions to Remington to date.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2012 at 9:46 PM, DrXmus said:

On 1/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, Bob Wells said:

When I first came to Baltimore lo those many years ago, the only dining advice i got regarding Hampden was, "Do not go into Hampden."

You all would get a huge kick out of "The Mud Next" - Season 2, Episode 7 on "Route 66" (it's included with Hulu) - a really good episode about Buz trying to find his mother, which largely takes place in Baltimore, and has interesting footage of the city, circa 1961. You don't need the backstory of the show in order to enjoy this episode (just know that Buz is an orphan who grew up in Hell's Kitchen (having to learn how to fight to survive), and never knew his parents).

(Let me know if you watch it - I have an interesting tidbit to tell you about the episode.)

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

You all would get a huge kick out of "The Mud Next" - Season 2, Episode 7 on "Route 66" (it's included with Hulu) - a really good episode about Buz trying to find his mother, which largely takes place in Baltimore, and has interesting footage of the city, circa 1961. You don't need the backstory of the show in order to enjoy this episode (just know that Buz is an orphan who grew up in Hell's Kitchen (having to learn how to fight to survive), and never knew his parents).

(Let me know if you watch it - I have an interesting tidbit to tell you about the episode.)

I actually have the first three seasons on DVD. Bought them after I finished The Fugitive. Haven't even gotten through much of Season 1 yet. Will definitely look forward to that one!

As the sole (?) Hampden resident on the board, I will be the first to boost the 'hood. 

Dylan's Oyster Cellar and the Bluebird Cocktail Room are excellent additions to the Avenue, Foraged is apparently promising, and the Charmery, Paulie Gee's, and Spro continue to produce excellent and consistent product in their respective realms (ice cream, pizza, coffee). Corner Restaurant and Avenue Bar & Grill also lend some good, casual options that produce good results from time to time as well (Avenue's sidewalk patio area is clutch in the warmer months).

The main gripe I have with Hampden is, perhaps, an unfortunate remnant of its prior lack of diversity. That is, there are very few, if any, good-to-excellent ethnic food establishments in the area. We have 4 Italian restaurants (Grano main, Grano Pasta bar, Paulie Gee's, Daniela's), but not a single decent East or SE Asian restaurant? In general, Baltimore lacks in the ethnic foods department, save for a few exceptions. It is my hope that, if the city ever recovers from this devastating spiral, it attracts further diversity in population and cuisine.