Shamrock, Irish-American on Route 15 in Thurmont since 1963

Cosy Restaurant in Thurmont.

Someday I am going to eat at Shamrock, just to say that I did. "Dinners include Salad Bar, Vegetable or Starch and our own Baked Bread."

I've eaten at Shamrock once. 13 years ago. I liked the rueben, which is what they're best known for. It wasn't amazing enough, though, that I had to get back there within the last 13 years.

Pax,

Brian

If I was being perfectly honest, the main reason I didn't go back was b/c of the owner's pretty well-known extreme politics, but I can understand that that's irrelevant to most people. Heck, it's much less important to ME 10 years later, even though my personal politics haven't changed. I'd probably stop in and try the rueben again if I were driving through and hungry.

Cosy Restaurant in Thurmont.

Someday I am going to eat at Shamrock, just to say that I did. "Dinners include Salad Bar, Vegetable or Starch and our own Baked Bread."

Warning: Thread Hijack! Actually, Shamrock is my destination of last resort when I'm returning home from anywhere on north Rt. 15. Another group of people of a certain age seem to be year-round habitants, but the food actually isn't bad (especially that home-made bread and the desserts). Now, take into consideration that I haven't stopped there for about 5 years, but I still see approximately one weeks production of Buick Roadmasters parked there every time I go by.

This place is on the way to my in-laws, so I've driven by it dozens of times, tho never had the chance to stop in (we usually have dogs in the car, and now a baby). What my wife and I always joke about is how the place is PACKED constantly, regardless of day and time. I guarantee you drive by that place and the parking lot will be surprisingly full (of Buicks?).

So, we finally went. It was actually on my 40th birthday, as we happened to be heading up to the in-laws (given all this, I assure you that my family does love me). The place wasn't packed as usual, but for a random Wednesday at 11:30am, there were still 6 tables taken. We lowered the average age by 30 years. The decor is country-old. But whatever, we actually had a very good meal.

I started with the Seafood Chowder, and the broth was rich and very tasty, with a generous amount of varied seafood and cubes of potato. It made me think of the thread on here referring to the relative merits of thick vs. thin chowder and how most tend to over-thicken, yet they struck the perfect balance here. We also got the Brie and Crab Puffs, which came with a full (and large) wedge of brie cheese, a dozen bite size puffs, half of cucumber (sliced), crackers, and a wedge of cantaloupe. An ample portion nicely priced at $7.95, and tasty as well. The wife got a chef salad that was simply enormous. It came in this four-sided glass pyramid dish that was served with its own placemat. She couldn't even eat half of it. I got the Baby Huey and Havarti sandwich, which came piled with a good portion of deli-sliced ham, thick tomato slices, on rye. It also came with half of a giant pickle. Actually, I rather liked the way they served their pickles, that is no small, limp wedges, but giant deli-style pickles sliced in half with the ends cut off.

We also took an entire homemade Strawberry and Rhubarb pie to go, and it was fantastic! One of the better pies in recent memory.

I would absolutely return.

• Like 1

Hit this place up on our way home after visiting a rainy and chilly Gettysburg back in early May; very pleasantly surprised. MD crab soup nicely seasoned and generous on the crab. We actually stopped cos their sign out front announced "we have shad and roe" (otherwise it would've been 'cue up in emmitsburg); the filet gently cooked on the flat top, the roe wrapped in bacon and roasted for a couple more minutes than it should have. And who doesn't love a salad bar and fresh bread included in the price of ones entree?

Hubby has stopped in twice on the way back from skiing.  The first time he had corned beef and thought it was pretty good.  The second time there was no corned beef and he had brisket.  The brisket was bad enough that I don't think he'll be stopping by again.  

We had another very good lunch here the other day, beginning again with the soup and crab puff platter noted in my post above. We also got sandwiches, chicken salad and turkey avocado, and decided to split them. It worth noting that some sandwiches come served on bread baked by the restaurant (in this case, the turkey avocado), and I suggest you seek these out as the bread is quite good and helps make a good sandwich a great sandwich.

We had a bad dinner experience the other night. One item we ordered was a pork tenderloin sandwich, with a bacon jam, served on a brioche bun. What we got included a buttered hamburger bun, mayo that was supposed to be a bacon aioli, and deli slices of pork tenderloin. Anyway, a sandwich that was completely different from what was listed on the menu. When we questioned our waitress about it, she too was confused, and thought that at least it would consist of slices of pork tenderloin. She also noted that it was a new menu item, and they haven't served many of them. My wife didn't want it, couldn't eat it, and though the waitress recognized this (and daresay understood it!), she made no offer to amend our check accordingly. It was very disappointing dining experience.

I had ribs that were solid, if unspectacular, and the salad bar, which was pathetic.

I'm afraid this was our last trip to Shamrock.

• Like 1