On Being Food

Anna Blume

Hot, humid weather.

Sweat.

Outside lots.

Socks that come up only so far.

Biting flies attack. Ouch! Days after, hell of itching.

Mosquito sightings, though now it's mostly flies.

Respectful of greater plights, but seated at computer, trying to focus on reports and such, distracted.

Will reapply hydracorteson or whatever, but other advice welcome.

Thanks.

If it doesn't put you to sleep, Benadryl (or the generic) is remarkably effective for itching bug bites. If it does put you to sleep, take it at bedtime and you will be able to sleep peacefully, itch-free.

The key is whether or not you wake up peacefully the next morning!

For me, that stuff is like putting my entire body in a Fog Machine that lasts the whole next day. Even caffeine can't snap me out of it.

For me, that stuff is like putting my entire body in a Fog Machine that lasts the whole next day. Even caffeine can't snap me out of it.

That's why you only take half! Sadly, little man has the opposite effect - it makes him hyperactive.

I just stumbled upon this product that helps with bites, especially helpful since I'm allergic to the stup...silly mosquito bites. Apparently bamboo too, since I got caught in some bamboo that left me with some mini-splinters and this ailment to help me cope. Yeesh.

Mebbe it's placebo effect*...

But right after a bite, I grab a freshly cut onion and rub the spot.

Itching afterwards, even days later, is nearly non-existent.

(*and even if so)

(ignorance is bliss)

(i want to be happy)

I don't think it's a placebo - this remedy makes sense, as the acid in the onion would probably kill the poison or coagulate the blood or some chemical effect that would dull the nerves. Cool trick.

If you want mosquito advice, I can look through some neighborhood listserve postings about a natural mosquito repellent to put outdoors that a number of people seemed to find useful.

Sorry to hear about the biting flies. I remember them wrecking a beach vacation once, but I can't recall what I did about the bites.

On 6/11/2012 at 5:42 PM, KMango said:

Itching afterwards, even days later, is nearly non-existent.

(*and even if so)

(ignorance is bliss)

(i want to be happy)

On 6/11/2012 at 5:50 PM, goodeats said:

I don't think it's a placebo - this remedy makes sense, as the acid in the onion would probably kill the poison or coagulate the blood or some chemical effect that would dull the nerves. Cool trick.

If you get stung by an Irukandji jellyfish, you should immediately give away any sharp objects or firearms (because you'll use them on yourself within the next few hours), but you're still supposed to apply vinegar to the sting (yes, I know nematocysts are different, but there may be some overlapping principles at play here).

Taking one for the team (and this isn't even an Irukandji).

But this one is: Irukandji Syndrome.

Anna Blume: perhaps you should wear your hat on your feet, and wander on your hands?

Before next Sunday get thee some Repel (REI sells it). It smells noxious but not nearly as bad as other insect repellants, and it does work.

Second the recommendation for topical Benadryl.

I bought something called Sting Eze awhile ago (I think at a golf pro shop), and it's the only thing that seems to actually work on mosquito bites. Unfortunately I don't remember where I got it from and we've never been able to find another bottle. If you find it locally, please let us know where.

You can order it off of Amazon.

For our deck, I'm thinking of trying gadget I read about recently: ThermaCELL insect-repelling lantern. Uses allethrin. They also have portable devices if you're moving around. Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, Sports Authority, etc.

I'm interested in hearing about yard/deck insect repellants. Someone mentioned a garlic one to me recently, but reviews said your yard will have a strong garlic smell, so that won't work for us.

For spray-ons, I like lemon eucalyptus (Repel has a brand with it), which is apparently nearly as good as DEET. I think Consumer Reports said it was the only non-DEET repellant that was effective.

I use Deet spray on my feet, have a Buzz-Off shirt that I wear while walking the dogs. I buy 1% cortisone cream in industrial tubs. Slather it on generously. Ice packs for particularly itchy bites that cortisone doesn't work on. At least once a summer (twice this year already) I get a bite on my face that swells up grotesquely and is not responsive to anything topical or systemic antihistamines, and I have to take prednisone. I hate biting bugs. They are the bane of my existence in the summer, along with the heat and humidity.

I'm interested in hearing about yard/deck insect repellants. Someone mentioned a garlic one to me recently, but reviews said your yard will have a strong garlic smell, so that won't work for us.

For spray-ons, I like lemon eucalyptus (Repel has a brand with it), which is apparently nearly as good as DEET. I think Consumer Reports said it was the only non-DEET repellant that was effective.

One of the things you can do on a deck is put a box fan on the ground blowing across the deck. Not only will it keep you cool, but it will blow the bugs away too as they cannot fight the slight breeze. There is also this service which I have heard about, Mosquito Squad, but I have no personal experience with them.

One of the things you can do on a deck is put a box fan on the ground blowing across the deck. Not only will it keep you cool, but it will blow the bugs away too as they cannot fight the slight breeze. There is also this service which I have heard about, Mosquito Squad, but I have no personal experience with them.

That's a good idea! Though I need a way to keep them away from me in the hammock, which is probably too far from the deck (it's a small yard, but fans only reach so far). Maybe one of those little portable fans that squirt water.

My understanding is that Mosquito Squad uses sprays that will kill all the insects - I don't want to kill beneficial insects, just keep mosquitos away. I've looked into those electronic zapper things and am tempted to try one.

As a kid, I got poison ivy often. If it got bad, I'd scratch the blisters open and weeping then pour Clorox on them.

It was effective at reducing the itching and a different way to spend a part of the day.

I never got poison ivy until recently, and I get it baaaaaaaaaad. Both times I wound up on prednisone and antibiotics. Whatever you do, refrain from scratching! I got relief from hot water and a blow dryer. Bad ideas, I know, but before the oral and topical meds, I was going bananas.

I'm also mosquito food. Those suckers will latch onto me within seconds. I use OFF and Avon product. Both do the trick.

On 6/12/2012 at 12:29 AM, DonRocks said:

If you get stung by an Irukandji jellyfish, you should immediately give away any sharp objects or firearms (because you'll use them on yourself within the next few hours), but you're still supposed to apply vinegar to the sting (yes, I know nematocysts are different, but there may be some overlapping principles at play here).

Taking one for the team (and this isn't even an Irukandji).

But this one is: Irukandji Syndrome.

"Teen Swimmer Killed by Most Venemous Marine Animal" on mercurynews.com