Restaurants Lying About "Maryland" Crabcakes - Jessica Sidman's Article in Washington City Paper

DonRocks

That is depressing. I had no idea as to the facts. The taste test and suggested reasons (colder water->more fat->sweeter taste---interesting.) make me mourn for the old days. But the question comes up....when did Maryland crab cakes start becoming primarily crabcakes from other regions? When was it?

That is depressing. I had no idea as to the facts. The taste test and suggested reasons (colder water->more fat->sweeter taste---interesting.) make me mourn for the old days. But the question comes up....when did Maryland crab cakes start becoming primarily crabcakes from other regions? When was it?

Todd Kliman wrote an exposé on Phillips in 2005, detailing how most of their crab comes from Asia, but I don't remember if they specifically called all their crabmeat "Maryland" or "Maryland style" - there's a big difference, and you could make a case for the latter being slick marketing instead of outright fraud. For several years, however, I've noticed "Maryland" crab at some pretty sketchy restaurants in this area, all of it served in relatively large quantities at a suspiciously low price.

I wasn't aware anyone actually thought "Maryland Crab Cakes" meant anything other than "Maryland style; at least, if I'm not somewhere on the Bay itself, I assume that it's Asian or S American crab meat.

This may also be why I almost never actually order crab, or lobster; most of what you get out there is flavorless filler.

I wasn't aware anyone actually thought "Maryland Crab Cakes" meant anything other than "Maryland style; at least, if I'm not somewhere on the Bay itself, I assume that it's Asian or S American crab meat.

This may also be why I almost never actually order crab, or lobster; most of what you get out there is flavorless filler.

I suppose that legally, you could make a case for it being equal to "Maryland Fried Chicken" which is a phenomenon that I've seen since I was a kid, often at Ramada Inns in small towns around the U.S. As to what "Maryland Fried Chicken" means, exactly, I have no idea - not once have I ever assumed it was coming from Purdue (and even if it was, I'm now old enough to realize that this isn't something people would want to brag about, Wendy's notwithstanding).

Loopholes aside, I think it's deceptive advertising which should be made illegal. To me, it's no different than Gallo "Chablis."

It's only deceptive if it's violating people's common understanding of the meaning. Most people don't even know that Champagne or Chablis are regional descriptors, so they wouldn't think that using them for products from other locations was deceptive, any more than, say, a layperson would consider using "PC" to mean "Windows PC" (even though Macs are PCs, too) to be deceptive--it's only the (relatively small) group for whom those are terms of art rather than generic adjectives who get outraged.

I'd wager that most people who encounter "Maryland crab cakes" don't have any specific expectations about getting MD blue crab meat vs. Japanese horse crab meat--they are just expecting to get "the local speciality", and if the vast majority of that speciality is made locally w/ horse crab meat (which it definitionally is given the differences in harvest sizes) then they aren't really being deceived.

Basically: we (as foodies) get a lot more worked up about certain of these sorts of things than most people do; if we were to try to apply the same sorts of standards that you'd prefer for food advertising to everything else, most advertising period would be outlawed.

I'd wager that most people who encounter "Maryland crab cakes" don't have any specific expectations about getting MD blue crab meat vs. Japanese horse crab meat--they are just expecting to get "the local speciality", and if the vast majority of that speciality is made locally w/ horse crab meat (which it definitionally is given the differences in harvest sizes) then they aren't really being deceived.

Basically: we (as foodies) get a lot more worked up about certain of these sorts of things than most people do; if we were to try to apply the same sorts of standards that you'd prefer for food advertising to everything else, most advertising period would be outlawed.

I don't agree. I don't think that most people (foodies and non-foodies alike) would consider a Maryland-style crab cake to be significantly different in style from any other crab cake, other than the fact that the crab comes from Maryland. This is different, I would say, than the regional/stylistic differences related to clam chowder; no one would assume that a Manhattan clam chowder means that the clams come from Manhattan, or even from New England for New England clam chowder. In those cases, the name refers to the style, but I don't think that's the case with 'Maryland' crab cakes. But I'm open to further information--perhaps there is a California-style, or Georgia-style, crab cake of which I'm not aware.

I don't agree. I don't think that most people (foodies and non-foodies alike) would consider a Maryland-style crab cake to be significantly different in style from any other crab cake, other than the fact that the crab comes from Maryland. This is different, I would say, than the regional/stylistic differences related to clam chowder; no one would assume that a Manhattan clam chowder means that the clams come from Manhattan, or even from New England for New England clam chowder. In those cases, the name refers to the style, but I don't think that's the case with 'Maryland' crab cakes. But I'm open to further information--perhaps there is a California-style, or Georgia-style, crab cake of which I'm not aware.

Old Bay seasoning?

For years now I've assumed that "Maryland crab cakes" = "Maryland style" on almost all menus. I think we counted no less than 3 places in Chicago advertising Maryland crab cakes. It's getting harder to find real Maryland crabs these days, and often the staff won't even know unless they are in charge of ordering product.

On a similar note, it pains me that I have to pester staff at places where I'm ordering steamed crabs. I don't want Carolina crabs. I certainly don't want Gulf crabs. I want Bay crabs. And, sadly, I'm sure I'm being flat out lied to on many occasions where the crabs are advertise as local. Hopefully things will turn around a bit this year.

I LOVE crab cakes, & I don't really care where the crab comes from, as long as it tastes good- a small container of back fin crab is at least $14, & I've paid more, but am I out in my backyard w/ chicken backs, catching & cleaning my own crab? you gotta pay to play...

I have Tom Douglas's, "I Love Crabcakes", lots of good recipes, & I am a sucker for ordering crab cakes out, although a lot of the time I will be disappointed, but I still try them..

Interesting thread. FWIW Costco in Sterling sells Chesapeake Bay lump (not backfin but lump!) crab meat as does Wegman's, both for $25 a pound or less. I've eaten at several of Tom Douglas restaurants including Dahlia Lounge and Etta's and am vaguely familiar with him having a MD background. I just don't remember anything in either restaurant that would reinforce this. I think of him as strictly Pacific Northwest-and he has done very, very well there.

I also first ate at Phillip's in 1964 when it was literally a crabhouse and some distant relative of the family (who STARTED Philips and then cared) was responsible for seafood sourced from the Chespaeake Bay. (or at least some nondescript Estern shore creek...) Today, Philips has nothing in common with how this "crab house" started in the late '50's in Ocean City.

I am not a fan of Indonesian or Venezuelan crab meat and believe that even blindfolded I can taste the difference. With Chespeake Bay lump crab meat @ $25 or less a pound it is possible to make crab cakes to die for.

Last, I have had "Maryland crab cakes" in Louisiana, Illinois and Germany among other places (Munich, it was "flown in." They just didn't say from where.) My expectation is Chesapeake Bay crab meat and frankly, I don't care what part of the Chesapeake Bay.

Over the years there have been far too many threads on numerous boards about the best crab cakes and where to find them. For me every single place that has a "great crab cake" ends up with lump crab meat from the Chesapeake Bay. I also believe that this is one dish that, by definition, is going to be expensive. I'd suggest the Narrows on Kent Island as my personal favorite but Jerry's-now in Lexington Park, former owner started it in Lanham-has an incredible "crab bomb." I am not a fan of Faidley's, certainly not G & M. The old Angelina's on Harford road (NOT the one that was there a year ago) had an incredible crab imperial that my wife and I thought was better than their world class crab cakes.) I am, FWIW, a fan of Suicide Bridge and Waterman's in Rock Hall. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/171420

Here is a list of the Maryland True Blue Crabmeat Restaurants. More restaurants are signing up. The program only requires that the crabmeat be 75% Maryland. We are 100% Maryland lump and jumbo lump is our crab pasta and crabcakes {2# lump to 3# jumbo} but our cakes are not "Maryland Style". We have already been asked to provide invoices as proof that we are in compliance. I will be particularly happy to show them an invoice that had {mistakenly delivered} Venezuelan crab on it and a return slip sending it back the next day.

Tim Carmen will have an interesting article coming up about a tasting of 4 different sourced crabs he held today at Dino.

Todd Kliman wrote an exposé on Phillips in 2005, detailing how most of their crab comes from Asia, but I don't remember if they specifically called all their crabmeat "Maryland" or "Maryland style" - there's a big difference, and you could make a case for the latter being slick marketing instead of outright fraud. For several years, however, I've noticed "Maryland" crab at some pretty sketchy restaurants in this area, all of it served in relatively large quantities at a suspiciously low price.

After reading some of the above posts, I also think there's a subtle difference between advertising "Maryland Crab Cakes" and "Maryland Crab." The latter leaves no wiggle room: the crab must come from Maryland or else someone is lying, period. And I don't mean Carolina crabs shipped to a Maryland distributor; I mean the crab must come from Maryland waters. (I have this hilarious visual of a couple of Bay Crabs frantically swimming towards the Virginia State Line, a la Bonnie and Clyde, trying to elude the snoods of a Maryland crabber.)

Here is a list of the Maryland True Blue Crabmeat Restaurants. More restaurants are signing up. The program only requires that the crabmeat be 75% Maryland. We are 100% Maryland lump and jumbo lump is our crab pasta and crabcakes {2# lump to 3# jumbo} but our cakes are not "Maryland Style". We have already been asked to provide invoices as proof that we are in compliance. I will be particularly happy to show them an invoice that had {mistakenly delivered} Venezuelan crab on it and a return slip sending it back the next day.

Tim Carmen will have an interesting article coming up about a tasting of 4 different sourced crabs he held today at Dino.

How was the test conducted? Did he know what he was eating? How were the crabs prepared?

Dean, thanks for posting this list - I didn't know such a thing existed. Personally, I have no problem with "Virginia Crab" or "Carolina Crab" or for that matter "Indonesian Crab" AS LONG AS there is truth in labeling. Hell, if I'm in the Caribbean, I want Caribbean Spiny Lobster even though 1) it's an inferior lobster and 2) nobody down there knows how to cook it.

This also reminds me about the time my friend Josh Raynolds was at a Farmers Market in Marseille. He walked past one vendor with vats of olives, and later found himself walking around the back of the stall. He saw cardboard boxes that contained the olives marked "Produit de Morocco." There's not a thing wrong with North African olives, I will add, but this was pretty sketchy.

Obviously, you should feel no pressure to answer any questions before Tim's column comes out. I'm glad your restaurant is being highlighted here - you've been walking the walk about sourcing for years.

This also reminds me about the time my friend Josh Raynolds was at a Farmers Market in Marseille. He walked past one vendor with vats of olives, and later found himself walking around the back of the stall. He saw cardboard boxes that contained the olives marked "Produit de Morocco." There's not a thing wrong with North African olives, I will add, but this was pretty sketchy.

This ought to serve as a cautionary tale for those who shop, unskeptically, at farmers markets, anywhere.

My favorite story, a bit more blatant, is the time, many many years ago, that I saw bananas for sale at a farmers market in Silver Spring.

I don't agree. I don't think that most people (foodies and non-foodies alike) would consider a Maryland-style crab cake to be significantly different in style from any other crab cake, other than the fact that the crab comes from Maryland.

...But I'm open to further information--perhaps there is a California-style, or Georgia-style, crab cake of which I'm not aware.

There certainly is a radical difference between ideals, as anybody who has had the east vs west crabcake duo at Oceanaire can attest. The west coast style, particularly as made with Dungeness, is heavily seasoned, moderate filler, and more broken than lump. Flavorwise it has to be this way, as the crabmeat itself isn't as delicately sweet as Maryland blue. Tragically, these days a Phillips crabcake isn't much different.

IMHO, an ideal Maryland crabcake should be minimal filler, minimal binder, just a touch of mustard, and with the blue crabmeat lumps as intact as possible...G&M's ridiculous eggy bomb notwithstanding.

I'm going to be doing my bit to bulk up the intrepid traveler forum with some more relatively obscure US locales (and some less obscure) in the days to come but wanted make the (er, a) case here for the west coast's dungeness crab that Dave dissed a bit just above (totally fine of course; wasn't his focus). Along the Oregon, Washington and BC coasts that surround Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula (from where the original comes) as described here, one can literally find these beautiful crabs all along beaches at low tide. I've found that restaurants in the area, in keeping with the west coast's generally (stereotypically) more progressive and more unshakeable focus on sourcing, quality and sustainability, serve dungeness crab which, when fresh and prepared with skill as it often is, is wonderful. None of that is a knock on blue crab of course--a wonderful, unique and critical resource to harvest responsibly--and my disappointment at misleading and outright fraudulent labeling and promotion is at least as high as Don's.

From the linked article on Dungeness range:

The Dungeness crab is named after Dungeness, Washington,[6] which is located approximately five miles north of Sequim and 15 miles (24 km) east of Port Angeles. Its range extends from Alaska's Aleutian Islands to Point Conception, California.[7]

Dungeness crabs have recently been found in the Atlantic Ocean, far from their known range, raising concern about their possible effects on the local wildlife.

....I'd suggest the Narrows on Kent Island as my personal favorite .... I am, FWIW, a fan of Suicide Bridge

If you like the crab cakes at the Narrows, I think you'd like the ones at the Tilghman Island Inn. Last weekend had them for lunch while sitting outside on their patio overlooking the channel leading to the bridge over Knapps Narrows. Also am a fan of Suicide Bridge. We like to go there whenever we go to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.

The controversy about what the term "Maryland crab cake" means stimulated me to search around the web and analyze what's out there. The conclusion is that it's use can be based on any one or a combination of these variable characteristics:

1. The origin of the crab is either from Maryland or anywhere in the Bay, and/or

2. The type of crab used is blue crab, and/or

3. The grade of crabmeat, which may or may not be specified (e.g. lump, backfin, etc.), and/or

4. The other ingredients, which vary widely, but generally may include a binding filler (bread crumbs or crushed saltines), egg, mayo, seasonings (Old Bay, J.O., mustard are most common).

As one can see, this leaves a lot of leeway and has devolved to mean it could be made from any type and any grade of crab from anywhere in the world formed into a patty that could include almost any other ingredients and could be fried, broiled, sauteed, or baked and may or may not be served with a sauce or on a bun, bread, or saltine. So when it comes to the term "Maryland crab cake" it's caveat emptor all the way!

One of my favorite finds was a recipe for "genuine" Maryland crab cakes that touted the wonders of authentic Maryland crabmeat that was illustrated with a photo of a tub of lump crabmeat that was marked "from Ecudaor!"

BTW, here is an interesting excerpt from the suitably vague definition from Wikipedia:

"The two most common styles of Maryland crab cakes are known as Boardwalk and Restaurant. Boardwalk crabcakes are typically breaded and deep-fried, and are often filled with stuffing of various sorts and served on a hamburger bun. Restaurant crab cakes, which are sometimes called gourmet crab cakes, are often prepared with no filler, and are composed of all-lump crab meat served on a platter or open-faced sandwich. Many restaurants that offer Maryland crab cakes will offer to have the cakes fried or broiled."

Over the years there have been far too many threads on numerous boards about the best crab cakes and where to find them. For me every single place that has a "great crab cake" ends up with lump crab meat from the Chesapeake Bay. I also believe that this is one dish that, by definition, is going to be expensive. I'd suggest the Narrows on Kent Island as my personal favorite but Jerry's-now in Lexington Park, former owner started it in Lanham-has an incredible "crab bomb." I am not a fan of Faidley's, certainly not G & M. The old Angelina's on Harford road (NOT the one that was there a year ago) had an incredible crab imperial that my wife and I thought was better than their world class crab cakes.) I am, FWIW, a fan of Suicide Bridge and Waterman's in Rock Hall. http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/171420

Oddly, none of these restaurants are on the True Blue List. I wonder if they use MD crab? ( I have been told Jerry's does not) It will be interesting to see if they get on the list in short order, they have good product, it would be nice to know

The controversy about what the term "Maryland crab cake" means stimulated me to search around the web and analyze what's out there. The conclusion is that it's use can be based on any one or a combination of these variable characteristics:

1. The origin of the crab is either from Maryland or anywhere in the Bay, and/or

2. The type of crab used is blue crab, and/or

3. The grade of crabmeat, which may or may not be specified (e.g. lump, backfin, etc.), and/or

4. The other ingredients, which vary widely, but generally may include a binding filler (bread crumbs or crushed saltines), egg, mayo, seasonings (Old Bay, J.O., mustard are most common).

As one can see, this leaves a lot of leeway and has devolved to mean it could be made from any type and any grade of crab from anywhere in the world formed into a patty that could include almost any other ingredients and could be fried, broiled, sauteed, or baked and may or may not be served with a sauce or on a bun, bread, or saltine. So when it comes to the term "Maryland crab cake" it's caveat emptor all the way!

One of my favorite finds was a recipe for "genuine" Maryland crab cakes that touted the wonders of authentic Maryland crabmeat that was illustrated with a photo of a tub of lump crabmeat that was marked "from Ecudaor!"

BTW, here is an interesting excerpt from the suitably vague definition from Wikipedia:

"The two most common styles of Maryland crab cakes are known as Boardwalk and Restaurant. Boardwalk crabcakes are typically breaded and deep-fried, and are often filled with stuffing of various sorts and served on a hamburger bun. Restaurant crab cakes, which are sometimes called gourmet crab cakes, are often prepared with no filler, and are composed of all-lump crab meat served on a platter or open-faced sandwich. Many restaurants that offer Maryland crab cakes will offer to have the cakes fried or broiled."

This is the internet at its finest, truly.

All dictatorships are going to fall, all moles will soon be whacked,

All looks are not alike, all holes are not a crack.

I grew up in Maryland, but am by no means a crab cake expert. There was a huge thread on this on Chowhound where some people with much more expertise than me discussed the Maryland style crab cake, it's history, and etc through cookbooks. Maryland does have a "style" of crabcakes they have little filler (they normally use breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs, some mayo, mustard and egg) and are broiled or fried. Actually traditional MD crabcakes don't have Old Bay, as that has only been around since 1940ish time frame, but now they normally do.

Other places do have different styles some with veggies, some with more filler, a different way of frying them. I wish I could find that thread it was really informative.

I grew up in Maryland, but am by no means a crab cake expert. There was a huge thread on this on Chowhound where some people with much more expertise than me discussed the Maryland style crab cake, it's history, and etc through cookbooks. Maryland does have a "style" of crabcakes they have little filler (they normally use breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs, some mayo, mustard and egg) and are broiled or fried. Actually traditional MD crabcakes don't have Old Bay, as that has only been around since 1940ish time frame, but now they normally do.

Other places do have different styles some with veggies, some with more filler, a different way of frying them. I wish I could find that thread it was really informative.

Is this the thread you seek?

It's only deceptive if it's violating people's common understanding of the meaning. Most people don't even know that Champagne or Chablis are regional descriptors, so they wouldn't think that using them for products from other locations was deceptive, any more than, say, a layperson would consider using "PC" to mean "Windows PC" (even though Macs are PCs, too) to be deceptive--it's only the (relatively small) group for whom those are terms of art rather than generic adjectives who get outraged.

People in France recognize Champagne and Chablis not just a regional descriptors but as indications of the quality of the wine. People in the Bay Area, similarly, recognize Maryland Crabcakes as clear implication that the crab is local. Anyone around here advertising "Maryland Crabcakes" and serving Indonesian backfin is consciously misleading their customers.

I don't agree. I don't think that most people (foodies and non-foodies alike) would consider a Maryland-style crab cake to be significantly different in style from any other crab cake, other than the fact that the crab comes from Maryland.

Just our of curiosity, what's a non-Maryland crabcake?

Assuming a MD crabcake is lumpy (MD) crab, light filler/binder, OB/JO style spice and broiled/fried lightly in butter...

Then a non-Maryland crabcake will be of two possibilities IMHO:

1. It is a mush of stuff that's fried dark - like a hush puppy.

2. It is crab in a cake shape, but with other seasoning or sides... such as a made with cajun flavor or topped with salsa or pineapple.

The real crime? Make a #1 style crabcake from above with imported crab and call it a "Maryland crabcake" - the crab isn't from MD and the style isn't really MD either - its just a fried ball of crab.

At the end of the day, I think this is like "southern style fried chicken" which is to say that I can't think of another style per se, but I know when fried chicken is NOT southern style.

BTW, interesting entrants in the True Blue list. Maybe more interesting...who's not on it.

I am taking a bite of a Narrows crab cake which we hand carried from Kent Narrows two hours ago after having lunch there. Their cream of crab soup and crab cakes continue as the best I have ever had. The Narrows insists they use Chesapeake Bay lump crab meat.

Last night I had crab guacamole which was made with Venezuelan crab at Ocean City's best seafood restaurant, the Captain's Table in the Marriott Courtyard at 15th and Boardwalk. Excellent. I also had the best red crab soup I have ever had at the Captain's Table and thought enough of it to spend $51.00 and bring home three quarts packed in ice, in a styrofoam cooler. I physically held the can of Venezuelan crab meat that was in it.

Early dinner this evening is red crab soup from Captain's Table, cream of crab soup from the Narrows and several of their crab cakes.

FWIW I believe I can taste a difference in lump crab meat. But not in red tomato based soup. I CAN taste the difference in a crab cake and the Narrows were better than the Captain's Table.

The following is from StarChefs and the Narrows chef details the source of his crab meat:

In making crab cakes, it is essential that you find the best crabmeat. I use jumbo lump because of the large lumps of crab. This type of meat tends to contain the least amount of shell. I will only use crabmeat from Maryland, Louisiana, Texas or North Carolina. It must be blue crabmeat.

Most importantly, handle the crabmeat gently. Do not break up the lumps and do not overpower the flavor of the crab!

- Chef Paul Shiley

The Narrows Restaurant's Crab Cakes

Yield: Four 5-ounce crab cakes

• 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
  • 2 Tablespoons fine cracker meal
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
  • 2 Tablespoons Coleman¹s dry mustard
  • Dash of Old Bay seasoning
  • Dash of Tabasco Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Vegetable oil for frying
    Preheat oven to 500°F. Carefully clean crabmeat of any shells. In one bowl gently fold crab and cracker meal. In another bowl, mix all other ingredients. Gently fold the two together and form into round balls. Deep fry in vegetable oil for approximately 6 to 10 minutes until golden brown.

I know a lot more about crawfish and oysters than I do about crab but the same thing is true for all three. They taste of the food they ate and the water that was their home. This is the reason the crabs at Cantlers are so good, the water is superb.

Blue crab from the Gulf of Mexico and environs is very tasty and available when blue crab from the Chesapeake is not because the climate is warmer. I would not turn down Louisiana blue crab, no, it is sweet and good. But in Louisiana you are more likely to be served heavily breaded and fried crab cakes and forget Old Bay entirely. Maryland style is better.

In Louisiana crabs are boiled in a spicy court bouillon and are a little waterlogged. Steamed is better.

If the crabs are farmed and fed garbage they will taste like garbage. This is the biggest problem with imported crabs.

Preheat oven to 500°F.
Deep fry in vegetable oil for approximately 6 to 10 minutes until golden brown.

When do I get to turn the oven off? Its 100 degrees out for cryin out loud ! :D

Also, don't think you need to deep fry at 500 deg. either. You will have a flaming crab ball and a house fire if you try that.

That's the actual recipe which I copied and pasted. This is the link: http://www.starchefs...ecipes_02.shtml

I believe you, it appeared that way from the font. The recipe does not mention using the oven at all, only pre-heating. I suppose you could keep them warm (and crisp?) in a 500 degree oven if making a large batch, but still, the recipe is missing something. Also, 500 degrees seems excessive for keeping. So either a typo, or its missing something, I would fry at 375.

Have you had the crabcakes at a GAR? Those are a non-Maryland style crabcake. Trying to think where else I have had non-MD style. I don't often order crabcakes outside of Maryland places that I know and trust. I actually get quite upity about non-MD style crabcakes and won't order them often, but when I run across it, hell hath no fury, especially when they say it is MD style (living in Annapolis really solidified this). This is one of my pet peeves that REALLY bothers my husband so often I order other things when I am not sure, to preserve our marriage sanity.

This is awful because I am aging and can't remember the details that I once could: Charleston in Baltimore has a "non traditional" crabcake that is incredible. My apology is because I have had it twice (last time five or six years ago) and can't remember why it is "non traditional." But at the time I thought that it was better than the Narrows yet "spiced" differently.

FWIW my wife and I had a discussion last night about cream of crab soup (we were at the Narrows yesterday) and we both thought that the She crab soup at Sobe's in Greenville, SC invited an interesting comparison. As we packed three quarts of tomato crab soup in a cooler with ice from the Captain's Table in Ocean City we are now tempted to pack She scrab soup from Sobe's and do a direct comparison with the Narrows cream of crab perhaps 24 hours apart.

There should be more research like this.

And, as I have raved about the Narrows cream of crab soup for several years I now believe that I prefer the tomato crab soup from the Captain's Table. I've eaten about two + quarts of it to make this decision. In fact as I type this I have a bowl of each on either side of the keyboard.

I believe you, it appeared that way from the font. The recipe does not mention using the oven at all, only pre-heating. I suppose you could keep them warm (and crisp?) in a 500 degree oven if making a large batch, but still, the recipe is missing something. Also, 500 degrees seems excessive for keeping. So either a typo, or its missing something, I would fry at 375.

I think the pre-heated 500 degree oven is meant to give you the "hotter than Hades" restaurant kitchen experience, at home, while you are frying your crab cakes.

BTW, interesting entrants in the True Blue list. Maybe more interesting...who's not on it.

The list is not definitive, merely a listing of restaurants who know of the program and choose to participate. I am sure there are restaurants who purchase MD crab but are not on the list.

FWIW, we participate. Chef Chris, a born and bred Marylander, swears he can tell the difference in crab cakes made with MD crab verses other crab. Me? I am with Chef Paul Shiley, as long as it is jumbo lump from blue crabs, I can't tell the difference.

And look who is having "Maryland Style Crab Cakes" for their Friends of the Saloon dinner on July 2nd?

https://www.facebook.com/jackrose.dc

To quote the comment with the menu:

FOTS Crab Cake Feast menu 7~2~2012

Gift: Chilled Blue Crab Claw, drawn butter

Appetizer: Chilled Sweet Pea Soup, mint mousse

Main: ½ Pound Baked Maryland Crab Cake, pickled tomatoes & cucumbers, potato salad

All the samples were treated the exact same. It was pretty easy to tell Venezualan and MD apart from Chinese and Indonesian. But one taste and there was no doubt. The scores were much closer than the opinion. No one thought that anything else was worthy of more than a Ruby Tuesdays crabcake. We used the same recipe and the same guy made all the cakes. One funny part... the non MD crabs were so water logged that cooking them to get them a little brown took forever!

The Venezuelan and MD were fresh, the two Asian ones pasteurized. The Chinese was truly ghastly and the Indonesian not far from it.

I read that Oceana study and while interesting - it doesn't name names...at least not that I could find.   You'd think they'd name at least the restaurants that did NOT lie or blend or whatever.

But another question I can't seem to answer - let's say I'm in a restaurant and want to confirm the crab provenance.  How do I?  Assume I don't have a DNA testing machine with me.

And I guess the better question is...does it really matter?  I know I've had both Bay crabs and foreign crabs - and I can tell the difference, but not in a significant enough way that trumps other variables (like freshness, preparation, etc.)   And while I support the local economy...is it such a bad thing that less crabs are taken from the Chesapeake right now?

Note that I'm not an advocate for foreign crab.  I'm just weighing the pros and cons.   Mr. Gold has provided some definite things to consider here.

So let's say I want Chesapeake caught crab.  Do I ask to see the can?  A shell?  How do I avoid blends?

And ultimately the point of these questions is that I believe that if some change is to happen here, it will be because consumers demand it, not because it should simply be legislated.