Banh Mi So 1, West Falls Church - Giant Bakery with Banh Mi and House-Made Bread

I'm typing while my memory is fresh before I pass out from my gluttony. Went on a culinary tour today, including Eden Center and Cheesetique. Will do Cheesetique later but what a fun little spot. We sampled Ham and Pate, and Pork and Pork Skin @ Song Que. Enjoyed them both immensely, but a little too bready. Shared a Meatball at Nhu Lan, and it was the best. More veg, less bread.

Go back to Eden Center and try the sandwiches at Banh Mi So 1. They bake baguettes fresh all day long which makes a huge difference in the sandwiches. Compared with the bread used at Song Que, the fresh baguettes are longer and thinner, like a ficelle. The end result is a nice balance of bread and filling.

Go back to Eden Center and try the sandwiches at Banh Mi So 1. They bake baguettes fresh all day long which makes a huge difference in the sandwiches. Compared with the bread used at Song Que, the fresh baguettes are longer and thinner, like a ficelle. The end result is a nice balance of bread and filling.

I had a craving for banh mi sandwiches, considering I haven't had one in a year, really. Banh Mi So 1 (Yelp! link) is really my go to place, because they rock the bread. I don't see the "low-quality bread" that DR talks about upthread somewhere. What I taste is a nice crunch, fluffy inside, and like V.H. said, baked all day long fresh feeling. I can see why this place is really busy on the weekend. I also prefer their pickled veggies compared to Song Que and felt super happy that $2.75 (prices have increased since last year) goes a longer way. This price-to-amount ratio is definitely worth it, since it's a bigger sandwich than Song Que's $3 banh mi's and dare I say, better than Banh Mi DC Sandwich's banh mi.

Picking up some banh mi from here for lunch today -- wanted to give a shout-out for the banh pa-tê sô/pâté chaud (not sure I got the accents correct), the little puff pastry squares with peppery umami-filled porky goodness inside. Have tried these at other places at Eden Center and think Banh Mi So 1 has the best... most flavorful and tender. I think traditionally, these are eaten for breakfast. Have been there after 12 noon sometimes and they're out. Crestfallen. These are a very yummy treat.

Mrs. DrXmus and I have been dying to try Bahn Mi, but it just hasn't happened. One reason I haven't pushed it, too, is neither of us knows what to get and she doesn't eat beef/pork/scary items. What I'd like is to be told what to get. What suggestions do you Bahn Mi experts have for us?

Mrs. DrXmus and I have been dying to try Bahn Mi, but it just hasn't happened. One reason I haven't pushed it, too, is neither of us knows what to get and she doesn't eat beef/pork/scary items. What I'd like is to be told what to get. What suggestions do you Bahn Mi experts have for us?

I would get one with grilled pork (safe), and another with a paté (a bit more adventurous), split them, and see which direction the wind is blowing you in. They're so inexpensive that you can get 2-3 more to take home and try later.

Oops, I just saw that Mrs. DrXmus doesn't eat beef or pork. Try one with a variation of shrimp (shrimp paste, etc.), and maybe another with (grilled) mushroom, chicken, or tofu (or whatever they offer that appeals to you). The toppings on the sandwiches are remarkably consistent, from sandwich to sandwich, from shop to shop, so you'll have a good feel for what they taste like regardless of the main ingredient. I would recommend one warm and grilled, the other cold and paté-like, and split them to see what's up your alley.

Personally, I like something warm and grilled to complement the cool, sweet (from the marinade), crunchy vegetables.

Beware the jalapeño slice (it's not that hot, but it'll be there).

Just walk up to the counter, order by number (there will sometimes be pictures), ask them to cut the sandwiches in half (they often don't unless you ask), and pocket the change from your $10 bill. You'll probably have to ask them to wait a minute while you peruse the menu (they don't care).

Lastly, remember Jake Parrott's quote: "The only filling bahn mi, is a second bahn mi."

#9 (tofu) at Song Que in Eden Center. Mmmmmmm.