I'd like to hear from the cognoscenti which vodka I should stock in my bar. I'm overwhelmed by potato vs grain, filtered vs. non-, distilled once vs octodistilled, cheap vs expensive, etc, etc, etc.

I don't drink it straight, so it'll just be cocktails. I don't want it flavored because I can make those myself. I'm not so frugal that I need the plastic 1.5L jug, but I'd rather not buy the $50 Crystal Skull, either. If it's accessible at a Virginia ABC store, that'd be great, but it's not an Absolute (Ha! Get it?) requirement.

I anxiously await your thoughts!

if it's mostly going in cocktails...ehhhh.

I'd say Tito's. Good pricing, good tasting, comes from Texas. Tito Beverage (seriously the name of the guy who makes/brands it) seems to be a nice chap. He sent me a 750mL and a 1 L bottle (the smaller one signed) so I gave the 1 L to my mom, who makes lots of psuedo-Cosmos (don't even ask). She liked it so much she switched her brand from Grey Goose to it...

(And I had discouraged her for years from the Goose, saying it was overpriced...)

Tito's is the last vodka I bought because of the price, the Wine Enthusiast rating (95) and the fact it's made in the US. I'm happy to hear a vote for it.

I'll have to look for Sobieski. I can't say I've heard of it, but I haven't looked for it, either.

Sobieski is cheap and been making a push lately. In Virginia it's listed at $14.95 for a 1 L and $20.95 for a handle. (No 750s listed.) Tito's is $20.95/24.95/36.95 for 750/1L/1.75.

Personally, I'd pay the upcharge, unless it means that much to you. Yes, Sobieski is not bad, but it is not good, either, and Tito's will fill in for cocktails and the occasional shot where you might want to actually enjoy the mouth feel and (light) taste of a vodka.

See what VABC has on special that month and then see if it gets the job done. At least you'll get to try a new vodka every time you need one. When you find something you like, stick with it, and stock up the next time it goes on special. You can also check the VABC specials online. They usually give a pretty solid discount on the $30+ bottles. Whenever Booker's, my bourbon of choice, is on special I think it's a good $10 savings.

Alternatively, ask a bartender you know if they have a preference. Clinton from P/X set me up with Citadelle Gin which is significantly less expensive then some of the other premium brands. (That being said, my wife swears by Crystal Head vodka and thinks it is worth the price of admission)

A couple of bartenders have independently told me they find Smirnoff is excellent for infusions. Plus, if it's good enough for 007 it's good enough for me.

Especially if you get the 100 proof. If you're doing your own infusions, you want a higher proof in there.

See what VABC has on special that month and then see if it gets the job done. At least you'll get to try a new vodka every time you need one. When you find something you like, stick with it, and stock up the next time it goes on special.

This is what I've done on the occasions when I can get down to Schneider's and it's worked out well so far. But, I am absolutely NOT an expert on vodka, or liquor in general so take that with a grain of salt. I do also see the value in having a go to that you know you like and feel is a good value and can get easily when you need it.