How tomatoes lost their flavor

Earlier today I enjoyed a burger from one of those newer places that competes with 5 guys. The burger was fine but the tomato was atrocious.

So I thought to look up why, and how I could do better. But the article came to me on its own... Interesting new findings as reported by NPR.

The net is that in the 30s, a mutation caused the tomato to ripen evenly. Great right? Now virtually all commercial varieties have this gene. But the shoulders (top) of the tomato is normally green or yellow, ripening behind the rest of the tomato. It is (somehow) related to the chlorophyl process, converting sunlight into sugars - sugars that make the tomato taste good.

So there you have it.

Growing up, my parents grew shopping bags full of delicious tomatos - and today, the only really good ones I seem to come across are in southern NJ. This kind of gives me something to look for when buying, espcially this time of year.

(edit - in fairness, I'm not trying very hard. Giant Food isn't exactly known for the taste of their tomatoes. Hoping to get to a farmer's market tomorrow)

Earlier today I enjoyed a burger from one of those newer places that competes with 5 guys. The burger was fine but the tomato was atrocious.

So I thought to look up why, and how I could do better. But the article came to me on its own... Interesting new findings as reported by NPR.

The net is that in the 30s, a mutation caused the tomato to ripen evenly. Great right? Now virtually all commercial varieties have this gene. But the shoulders (top) of the tomato is normally green or yellow, ripening behind the rest of the tomato. It is (somehow) related to the chlorophyl process, converting sunlight into sugars - sugars that make the tomato taste good.

So there you have it.

Growing up, my parents grew shopping bags full of delicious tomatos - and today, the only really good ones I seem to come across are in southern NJ. This kind of gives me something to look for when buying, espcially this time of year.

(edit - in fairness, I'm not trying very hard. Giant Food isn't exactly known for the taste of their tomatoes. Hoping to get to a farmer's market tomorrow)

Barry Estabrook explains it all for you: http://www.amazon.co...barry+estabrook

When you get to the part about slave labor, it will turn you off from any supermarket tomato or, indeed, any tomato not from a farmers' market or the ones you grow your ownself. I'm just happy that my "local" (Lancaster, PA) farmer has the best-tasting hot-house tomatoes available, My own tomatoes haven't ripened yet.

Barry Estabrook explains it all for you: http://www.amazon.co...barry+estabrook

When you get to the part about slave labor, it will turn you off from any supermarket tomato or, indeed, any tomato not from a farmers' market or the ones you grow your ownself. I'm just happy that my "local" (Lancaster, PA) farmer has the best-tasting hot-house tomatoes available, My own tomatoes haven't ripened yet.

Thanks for this, I just ordered it. Less than $10!