July 4th, 2012, Lobster Prices: Molting Earlier, but Transportation is Difficult - Susanna Kim Reports on ABC News

DonRocks

If you're in Maine right now, there's a bounty of inexpensive lobster; if not, you're paying a lot for hard-shells.

Susanna Kim reports on abcnews.com.

I was in Portland twelve days ago and spent $35 for a pound of lobster meat at Bayley's. This is the link with the quoted prices: http://www.bayleys.c...akeout-menu.pdf . Nice that this reporter thinks there is "a bounty of inexpensive lobster." If you're interested in buying a 1 pound lobster then, yes, it's $4.99 a pound. The 1 and 1/2 pound lobster is $15.00 and lobster meat is just as expensive-if not more so-than ever.

I was in Portland twelve days ago and spent $35 for a pound of lobster meat at Bailey's.

Portland, Maine, or Portland, Oregon?!

This just doesn't seem right, and definitely does not seem very "Joe H."

I, on the other hand, was in Sandusky two days ago and rode Top Thrill Dragster (not to mention Millennium Force - twice)!

Bayley's is in Scarborough, Maine.

Dinner at Fore Street and it continues as one of the best restaurants in America. It's been nominated a couple of times for the National Beard Award (I believe one year against Citronelle) and if more New Yorkers and San Franciscans visited Portland it would win it.

Two nine to ten inch long sardines about an inch thick are roasted in a cast iron skillet in a wood burning oven. The sardines are slathered with a sourdough, garlic and walnut mash on a bed of roasted red onions and spinach drizzled with spiced yogurt and olive oil. An incredible dish.

The best water slide in the United States is in Ocean City at Jolly Roger. It loops.

If anyone wants to put a visual on this:

This is the yield from a hard shell lobster claw

post-2548-0-07771400-1341499585_thumb.jp

And this is a typical yield from a new shell claw

post-2548-0-29613200-1341499643_thumb.jp

The plus side is the newshells can be cleaned MUCH faster than the hard ones. You can tear them up with your hands,

and a lot of people like the flavor and texture more when they are new.. The con side is they are MUCH more fragile, so you get dead on delivery and they can't live very long in the tank. You take a lot of credits this time of year from the vendor just due to transportation deaths.

The Lobster people know what they are doing; when we do yield tests for meat throughout the year and across the spectrum of soft to hard, the price of meat we can produce stays remarkably steady.

At Freddy's we use the shedders for our meat uses now, because of the speed of cleaning, and maintain a bunch of hardshells for steamed lobster dinners.