Recommended sources for kitchen equipment and gadgetry

Rhone1998

I looked through the forum index and didn't see a thread for good sources, online or otherwise, of kitchen equipment, pots, gadgets, etc. I've got a bunch of old, cheap pots and pans that are sorely in need of replacement that I'm finally getting around to dealing with, and would love to get some advice from folks here about sources with good selection and prices. Also wasn't there a DR.com member who started his own online kitchen equipment biz?

I looked through the forum index and didn't see a thread for good sources, online or otherwise, of kitchen equipment, pots, gadgets, etc. I've got a bunch of old, cheap pots and pans that are sorely in need of replacement that I'm finally getting around to dealing with, and would love to get some advice from folks here about sources with good selection and prices. Also wasn't there a DR.com member who started his own online kitchen equipment biz?

That would have been me. The web page didn't work out, but I still sell the same things on eBay, which has worked out considerably better. What I have is stuff intended for professional (commercial) kitchens; good quality, good price, not fancy. Cookware and cutlery, nearly all is NSF. If you're interested, let me know some specific examples of what you're thinking about and I'll let you know what I have that might fit the bill.

There's a thousand places on-line. Best to start by googling a few specific items you are interested in and follow the stores that come up.

There's a thousand places on-line. Best to start by googling a few specific items you are interested in and follow the stores that come up.

Thanks, John. I hear you, and it might just be my personal feelings about shopping (where every minute is pretty much agony), but I put a huge premium on looking first at trusted, recommended places rather than hunting the best bargains on individual items. So if there are any stores that people like a lot and have had good experiences with in the past, would love to start an archive of them here.

All Clad has 2 scratch and dent sales each year at the fairgrounds near Pittsburgh. It may be worth a road trip.

In the '90's I drove to it from Reston and bought for ourselves and two other families, a total of a couple of thousand dollars worth of pots and pans. They literally had everything they sold on 60-70% discount with many other pots and pans even more off. Things like a 12 quart stockpot which retailed then for $300+ for $79 or so. One of the best sales I've ever been to and, at the time, worth the trip. http://www.gardengrocerygadgetgirl.com/2009/05/all-clad-factory-outlet-sale.html

Also, don't overlook Fortessa in Sterling.http://www.fortessa.com/scripts/silverware.exe/extpage@d:%5Celevclients%5Cdevfortessa%5Celevator.prg?page=OUTLETSTORE

The Williams-Sonoma Outlet in Leesburg recently had a great sale on All-Clad (some things were 70% off the retail price). I bought a few pieces to fill in and replace old Calphalon aluminum that I was still using. I think that particular sale is over --it was just before Mother's Day--but it might be worth getting on their email list so you get notified about their special sales, some of which can be very good.