Caterer for 150 Person "Cocktail Style" Wedding Reception

Rieux

DRers,

I am getting married on December 1 in DC. We will have about 150 people, and do not want to do a seated dinner. We would like to do a "cocktail party" set up where a caterer would handle passed hors d'ouvres and one finger food station. We will also need them to handle the bar.

Of course, we want to spend as little as possible doing this. Anyone have any recommendations for out of the box solutions? I don't want to go the BBQ route or anything like that -- the food needs to be finger friendly.

Thanks!

We used Celebrations Cateringfor our wedding in VA 2 years ago, and they did a great job. We had a seated dinner... but also had three passed hors d'ouvres and one fixed station with cheese/veggies/dip, etc. I want to say that each food item during the cocktail hour was on the order of $2-$2.50/person per item whether passed or at the fixed station.... that's just food and doesn't include the server time. In VA, we were able to bring our own alcohol, and have them serve it.... Celebrations even told us that was the way to go instead of going with their alcohol package because 1) we could then hand-pick whater we wanted and it'd prob be cheaper (or more expensive depending on our tastes) and 2) we'd be able to bring the leftovers home.... but I don't think that's an option in DC.

I've been to a couple b-day parties catered by them also with pretty good results.

First off, congrats!

I'm getting married in October in DC and have been working with Well Dunn (specifically Yulia) and they have been tremendous thus far. Without doing a seated dinner I'd say they would be able to help you and stay within the range you mentioned above. The food (we did our tasting a few weeks ago) was tremendous and they're very creative / flexible. Additionally, in DC you can pick up the alcohol on your own and they'll serve it (I guess its dependant on your venue)...they'll supply the mixers and what not and work with you on amounts, etc.

I've used Main Event for a number of small (60-250) cocktail receptions. I don't know how well they do on the bartending side as we are a beer, wine and straight up booze crowd at work. http://maineventcaterers.com/

I think you get a good value for the price and a decent amount of food. Other than one event we did with a marauding herd of college students we have always had plenty of food left over.

I'm one of the people that operate the Professional Bartending School in Arlington. We staff bartenders for these events all the time and have been doing this for decades. Some advantages to using our grads directly through us include:

1. They are often the same people who work for caterers. We don't charge for the people; its a direct to the people that staff your party. That probably saves you a bit on mark up and overhead. You could contact the school direct at our placement phone # at 703 841-9757. We have a very professional, responsible placement person who can help. You can DM me here. I'll give references to some people who have been doing events and parties for years. Unfortunately I'm not up to date with what we charge or what the experienced people charge. But I suspect its lower per hour than through a caterer if only b/c of no mark up.

2. The grads can provide a list of alcohol, mixers, and extras for a party. It works. It could be a bit dated, but its easy to update. You of course can make all types of substitutions. If you follow the suggestions of the folks above, and you buy your own alcohol, mixers, supplies you will also probably save somewhat on overhead. Lots of people do that.

At 150 adults you are between 1 good experienced bartender and 2 bartenders. 1 good experienced person can handle that sized crowd, essentially keep people from waiting on line, keep their drinks refreshed and help you have a successful wedding with everyone enjoying the event. To be on the safe side, and if you aren't sure about the staffing efficiency then you should have 2 at the bar.

3. I'm not going to comment on caterers. There are a lot of great ones. I always like going with a strong recommendation from someone who has used them before and could use them again. Most caterers will work with your flexibility.

Most of all: Congratulations and good luck. Have a great wedding.

At 150 adults you are between 1 good experienced bartender and 2 bartenders. 1 good experienced person can handle that sized crowd, essentially keep people from waiting on line, keep their drinks refreshed and help you have a successful wedding with everyone enjoying the event. To be on the safe side, and if you aren't sure about the staffing efficiency then you should have 2 at the bar.

I'm sure you have more expertise than I, but judging from the near-constant weddings and office parties I attend: in no way is one bartender sufficient for 150 people, no matter how experienced--unless they're only serving beer and wine, and even then, one is really stretching it. To be fair, my friends and family are probably at the high end of the curve as far as bar requirements are concerned, but waiting forever at a bar just stinks (and may result in more product loss because folks will end up just asking for two drinks so they don't have to wait again and then misplacing that second one) (or so I've heard... :ph34r: ).

I'm sure you have more expertise than I, but judging from the near-constant weddings and office parties I attend: in no way is one bartender sufficient for 150 people, no matter how experienced--unless they're only serving beer and wine, and even then, one is really stretching it. To be fair, my friends and family are probably at the high end of the curve as far as bar requirements are concerned, but waiting forever at a bar just stinks (and may result in more product loss because folks will end up just asking for two drinks so they don't have to wait again and then misplacing that second one) (or so I've heard... :ph34r: ).

That is why I suggested "between 1 and 2". ONE, if they are good, and efficient, experienced and capable. I'm comfortable with some of our grads handling that. I'm not comfortable with everyone doing that. ONE: If you wish to save on staffing costs for the 3-5 hours. TWO: if you wish to be safe.

I also think that in a wedding, waiting forever at the bar does stink, and the hosts really don't want that, since the guests are friends and family celebrating with you.

But I wanted to present both possibilities, since there is a budget.

That is why I suggested "between 1 and 2". ONE, if they are good, and efficient, experienced and capable. I'm comfortable with some of our grads handling that. I'm not comfortable with everyone doing that. ONE: If you wish to save on staffing costs for the 3-5 hours. TWO: if you wish to be safe.

I also think that in a wedding, waiting forever at the bar does stink, and the hosts really don't want that, since the guests are friends and family celebrating with you.

But I wanted to present both possibilities, since there is a budget.

I'm strongly in the "two inexperienced" camp here - this is one area that you don't want to skimp on, and I think a second body would be more important than one talented individual. People might not notice if there was one less server; the bar is the aorta of any respectable wedding reception. :lol: Plus, I think there's a certain energy that comes from having a second person working. Maybe you could have a server double as a beer-and-wine barback during peak crush?

Rieux, needless to say, I'd get in touch with Dave. His was a very thoughtful post.

Tx. I merely wanted to post both alternatives. If I were the host I'd start working on the menu first and then get to the staffing. As to the "aorta" of a respectable wedding reception....LOL. I'd say it goes 3 ways: the food, the bar, and kick ass music!!!

Thanks to all! We are checking in with caterers and defining the menu as we speak - then on to the staffing, etc.

This thread has been invaluable and a great example of the collected knowledge of this board!

Kate Hill in Chevy Chase DC Kate & Company 202.362.9704 or Louise Millikan in Tenleytown DC, ToDoLouise 202.270.7675 are both great to work with. Neither are cheap, they don't work for free, but you will find they are inovative and very skilled at providing wonderful food for events, not just weddings. (both great friends of mine who love organic food and the local farmer's markets.)