Where to Buy Good Cheese

porcupine

Wegman's in Fairfax but ONLY the Fairfax store. Sterling, Manassas, Fredericksburg and Leesburg are not nearly as complete. Actually the Wegman's in Fairfax has a number of groceries/meats, etc. that the other stores do not.

Red, White, and Bleu: anyone been? Opinions?

I really like James Roth (and his wife Heather) and what he's trying to do here. The selection is small, and (like a mini version of shopping at Syms' or Trader Joe's) it's difficult to "need" anything in particular when you come here. I come here when I need "a bottle of bubbly," etc. - they have several wines of each type, and a small, but well-kept, charcuterie and cheese selection. They also act as a front end for Argia's nice little wine list (which is half-price on Monday nights (James's brother, Adam, is co-owner of Argia's)), so the Falls Church world is a much better place because RW&B exists, and I support them when I can (*)

(*) he says, having just wasted a pint of gasoline to go to Northside Social for his Americano instead of Starbucks, dropping a dime into Arlington's parking meters for five minutes worth of time. Is that making the world a better, or a worse, place? (I vote "better," and electric cars cannot come soon enough.)

(*) he says, having just wasted a pint of gasoline to go to Northside Social for his Americano instead of Starbucks, dropping a dime into Arlington's parking meters for five minutes worth of time. Is that making the world a better, or a worse, place? (I vote "better," and electric cars cannot come soon enough.)

I vote a better place (and much better coffee) as I will be wasting a small amount of gas (as I try to coast as much as possible in my hybrid) this afternoon to drive from DC to Northside or Bayou to meet a friend for coffee.

As for cheese, i like some of the vendors at the Arlington and other farmer's markets, but can never remember the names. Not a huge range of product, but friendly, knowledgeable vendors. I would guess not permanaent enough to add farmer's market favorites to the map?

Simon - at this point, should I consider removing Balducci's from the list? I included it for historical reasons (they had an excellent cheese counter back when they were Sutton Place Gourmet), but must admit that even though it is closer to my house than any other place on the map, I rarely buy cheese there. What do you think of their selection/quality?

Having a good selection is one thing, but if the cheeses aren't treated right*, it's all for naught.

*Speaking of which, a few days I ago I popped into Cowgirl Creamery for the first time in about a year. When did they start pre-cutting/wrapping pieces of cheese? Bad cheesemonger, bad. Though to their credit, when I picked up a piece and asked when it had been cut, the fellow behind the counter looked at it and said something like, "this was was cut, uh... actually this one is a bit old. I'll cut you another piece if you like." Yes, yes I would like that, thank you. grumble

it is closer to my house than any other place on the map, I rarely buy cheese there. What do you think of their selection/quality?

Likewise, and not great (b/c of the pre-cutting/wrapping). That's why I asked -- if you knew of a secret code to get the good stuff there.

For the best quality, variety, and price, the cheese counter at Calvert Woodley, under the expert supervision of the nonpareil Carlos Estrada, cannot be matched. Sheesh, look at the prices they offer this week: http://www.calvertwoodley.com/newsletters/2013/04/01/CW-s-Current-Ad-in-The-Washington-Post-n0108048th Last week they had roquefort societé bee for $12/lb and Oka for $9.