If you want to make them yourself, the oyster guy at the Dupont Market has them for sale Sunday morning.

This is a bit of a Sunday morning staple for me in the spring: sauteed softshell and fried egg over a slice of Atwaters peasant bread. The oyster guy has had them live in season, but most other times they've been previously frozen (including now likely). Buyer beware.

This is a bit of a Sunday morning staple for me in the spring: sauteed softshell and fried  egg over a slice of Atwaters peasant bread.  The oyster guy has had them live in season, but most other times they've been previously frozen (including now likely).  Buyer beware.

The best advice is to buy live or don't buy them. I seem to remember the guy having live ones most of the time.

If you need instruction on how to clean them ask or look for a post by Tom Power. I recall a rather interesting post on how to clean them. <_<

If you need instruction on how to clean them ask or look for a post by Tom Power.  I recall a rather interesting post on how to clean them.  <_<

Cleaning live ones is right out of a horror flick. They keep moving after you use the kitchen shears to cut off their faces. But the ones we bought live from the truck on Rt. 4 in Maryland and brought home to kill and grill were scrumptious.

I like mine treated lightly. No heavy breading or deep frying; it disguises the delicate flavor. We usually dredge in a slightly seasoned flour and pan-saute in a little EVOO and butter. Then, depending upon our mood, we eat them straight or make what my friend Tess calls "kitten sandwiches" with the feet sticking out of a soft roll. (Tess won't eat softshells, silly woman.)

Yoko in Herndon used to do a sublime softshell with a ponzu sauce but their rendition last year wasn't as breath-taking.

I don't know the *best* place, but Eastern Market will have them. I think that after the 27th, they'll be more of them, since that's when the full moon is. I guess water temp + the moon = molting, unless those crabbers at Tangier Island were bullshitting me.

Anyone aware of restaurants that are currently serving soft shell crabs? Bonus points if they're in Old Town (yes, I'm venturing across the river to fete a friend who is being deployed :blink: ).
Hank's is. . . .

Anyone aware of restaurants that are currently serving soft shell crabs? Bonus points if they're in Old Town (yes, I'm venturing across the river to fete a friend who is being deployed :blink: ).

Le Gaulois is offering them as both an appetizer and an entree, with the added bonus of a great outdoor patio to enjoy them on. You might also check with Eve or Vermilion.

I also wonder if Eamonn's will be frying them up at some point during the season.

Le Gaulois is offering them as both an appetizer and an entree, with the added bonus of a great outdoor patio to enjoy them on. You might also check with Eve or Vermilion.

I also wonder if Eamonn's will be frying them up at some point during the season.

I think they were on the menu at Majestic.

As mdt mentioned above, Majestic did have a very nice preparation on the menu last week.

Not in Old Town - CityZen has a delicious version right now. Alas it appears only on the chef's tasting menu.

It is pure whimsy in a bowl - legs and microgreens pinwheeling everywhere, a tasty licorice tuile tucked in, and a confetti of pretty pale green fennel, orange, and soft pink rhubarb beneath the crustacean. Or, as described on the menu:

SAUTÉED CHESAPEAKE BAY SOFTSHELL CRAB

Field Grown Rhubarb, Braised Fennel and Navel Orange Vierge

with a Licorice Tuile

Pesce had them as an entree a couple of weeks ago. While they were small, I think that's when the shell is most tender anyway, and they were deliciously sauteed. If you go and they have the crab, shrimp, and pork dumpling as an appertizer, try that, too!

I love that place and can't wait to return for another dinner.

Kinkead's had softshell tempura yesterday, which unfortunately I somehow missed on the menu, and didn't realize they had them till this other fellow ordered (my seared scallops with manila clams, favas, and some other stuff were very good, though).

Eve had then in the Bistro a couple of weeks ago.

Not in OT: Husband and I shared an appetizer yesterday at Bangkok 54 of a deep-fried softshell crab and papaya salad--excellent! They also had the softshells as an entree. Both are on their special menu for this month.

There are very few things which I find too repulsive to eat. Sea urchin is one of them. Softshell crab is another. I know, I know, but I just can't get the image of biting into a hardshell crab and munching away out of my mind. Ugh.

I thought I saw this mentioned here recently, but I don't see it now:

Anyway, the Citronelle Lounge has an amazing preparation: stuffed with crabmeat, tempura fried, and served over corn risotto. Between that one and Corduroy, most of my softshell needs have been fulfilled (and will continue to be repeatedly). I tried the Sushi Ko one the other day, and it was good, but nothing particularly steller; I think I might be spoiled though.

Am I the only one that thinks softshell crabs are overrated? They always seem to be more shell than meat. I just don't get the hype. I would rather have a crab cake.

Fine, more for us :blink:

Sushi Ko had a great preparation Friday. The sushi chef strongly urged another diner to get the softshell crab appetizer over the soft shell crab roll b/c the appetizer was the only preparation made with fresh, not frozen softshell crabs.

Pax,

Brian

Fine, more for us :blink:

Sushi Ko had a great preparation Friday. The sushi chef strongly urged another diner to get the softshell crab appetizer over the soft shell crab roll b/c the appetizer was the only preparation made with fresh, not frozen softshell crabs.

Pax,

Brian

I was going to suggest the same thing - if you want to give them another try, the one I had at Sushi-Ko was the fattest softy I've ever had - really plump, lots of meat.

There are very few things which I find too repulsive to eat. Sea urchin is one of them. Softshell crab is another. I know, I know, but I just can't get the image of biting into a hardshell crab and munching away out of my mind. Ugh.
OK, then. YOU won't be the person to get that last crab of the day BEFORE I show up at Corduroy. Thank you very much. :blink:

Am I the only one that thinks softshell crabs are overrated? They always seem to be more shell than meat. I just don't get the hype. I would rather have a crab cake.

Then you certainly have not had a good one. The shell should be non-existent although some places do serve them when they are a bit too hard. The best preparations are the ones that minimize the ingredients to let the crab shine through.

(Upon eating my first softshell of the season last night at Corduroy)

Ode to a softshell crab

Oh, softshell, you who sacrificed your

short little life for me

so that you could be deep-fried and crunchy.

Wonderful crab, prepared in a multitude of ways,

making DC worth inhabiting in the summertime.

The most yummy of all the crabs--

yes, even over stuffed crab--

I thank you for being so delicious.

Anyone good in Virginia (Old Town is ok) doing soft shells aside from the usual Viet and Thai suspects? I'm dying to drag the husband out for crabs this weekend and I have a hankering for the first softshells of the season.

My in laws are partial to the Warehouse in Old Town, but if it's just husband and I going, I think we'll try someplace a little more interesting.

Anyone good in Virginia (Old Town is ok) doing soft shells aside from the usual Viet and Thai suspects? I'm dying to drag the husband out for crabs this weekend and I have a hankering for the first softshells of the season.

My in laws are partial to the Warehouse in Old Town, but if it's just husband and I going, I think we'll try someplace a little more interesting.

We had them at Majestic two weeks ago over salad greens with a sauce I can't recall now. They were delicious. They are extremely good at Eve as I mentioned many posts above. Not as good as Eve or Majestic, but good, are Landini Brother's version.

Going on a date with the girl this Saturday and need to know of a good, relatively inexpensive place where we can score some soft shells within Metro range. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it's worth a shot asking.
Are you looking for a restaurant that offers them or a place to purchase and prepare at home?

Accessible to the Silver Spring metro are Sergio's and Vicino's. You may want to call them to check on availability. They should be in the Dining Guide for Maryland under downtown Silver Spring. At Sergio's I have had them sauteed. At Vicino's I've had them done Francese style. I guess Crisfield's down there would also be metro accessible.

Not sure if it would satisfy your need but Bar Pilar had a fried softshell crab sandwich on its menu two weeks ago. My friend who had it gave it a big thumbs up, but I thought it looked small. IIRC, it was about 10 or 11 dollars.

Also at New Heights you can get a half order of the softshell crab dish.

My husband loved his soft shells at Al La Lucia (Alexandria) about 2 weeks ago. Metro to King street, trolley down King Street, a few blocks north (on Royal Street, IIRC). I'd call to make certain they still have them of course.

Alas, alack, and nearly-gak, softshell crabs at Thailand on Royal Street in Alexandria were a miss this week. Too much time in the fryer, too little intrigue in the garlic-chili sauce, a bizarre amount of shredded iceberg lettuce, choose elsewhere for these most exquisite of crustaceans.

(mistake)

(missable)

(misspent)

Only this morning did we decide to go out for dinner for our anniversary tonight and the one thing I'm craving is a soft shell crab dish (not a sandwich). So, if you know of a place with a decent atmosphere, please post here and I'll see if a last minute reservation can be made. Thanks.

Pax,

Brian

Only this morning did we decide to go out for dinner for our anniversary tonight and the one thing I'm craving is a soft shell crab dish (not a sandwich). So, if you know of a place with a decent atmosphere, please post here and I'll see if a last minute reservation can be made. Thanks.

Pax,

Brian

Corduroy and Palena have both had soft shells on as dinner specials in the last couple of weeks; it's worth calling both to check.