Sautéed softshell crab plated on warm gazpacho on the menu today for lunch at Clarity.  Nicely done.  Last night's dinner menu described an almond crust.  Today's edition at lunch was without crust or breading, so it appears the preparation will vary.  Their website updates the menus daily.

• Like 1

DC Fishwife had big ones on Saturday at Union Market available to buy live and take home took or to eat in fried on a brioche bun.  The latter was excellent. 

• Like 1

Any recommendations for soft-shells in Arlington that aren't mostly batter?

I strongly prefer soft-shells sauteed, not deep-fried, but I will take them fried if the batter is light. I had a nice soft-shell banh mi at William Jeffrey's Tavern last night, and the plump crab meat wasn't lost under the batter.

If you know other places in Arlington to get good soft-shells, especially if they're not fried, I'd love to know about them. 

Edit: also happy to know about places in DC and Alexandria, but some nights Arlington is all we have time for, which is why I'd love to know a place there.

In DC, I hope to get to Dino, BlackSalt, and Salt Line before long for some soft-shells.

Thanks!

I agree with you re sauteed v. deep fried.  I've found that many (about half?) of restaurants, especially good ones, will sautee them upon request even if they're listed as fried on the menu.

• Like 1

Bumping this because I am in dire need of high-quality soft shell crab dishes in northern Virginia, pick up or delivery, and I'm hoping to get some worthwhile suggestions.

For reference, yesterday's Uber Eats delivery from Yindee Thai in Springfield was barely worthy of being fed to cats.

Help?!?!

• Like 1

Not Virginia, but Pines of Rome in Bethesda has had some great ones...either 2 whales or 3 jumbos.  Had them 2 weeks ago