More Google Maps?

porcupine

I'm starting to get busy with other things again, but I've been having fun creating google maps for donrockwell.com. Any ideas for other types of stores you'd like to see mapped? Some ideas: where to find unusual beers (though that isn't as hard to do as it was five years ago); restaurants by ethnicity or style (eg, Ethiopian, vegan, gluten-free). Not sure when I'll be able to devote as much time to it, though.

I have maps for all sorts of cities, NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, Sydney, Melbourne, etc etc, in which I have mapped a ton of the recommended at the moment places. I think they are all public maps, I would post the URLs somewhere. They don't have absolutely everything, but are pretty helpful, I make one every time we are traveling somewhere new.

Someone on Chowhound I think made a map of a lot of the ethnic grocery stores, don't know how up to date it is as I haven't looked at it in a while.

Have you looked at batchgeo as a tool for this? (http://batchgeo.com/)

It integrates map-making with spreadsheet data, so you prep a spreadsheet with your map co-ordinates and any other data that you'd like to have attached to the map (so e.g. restaurant name, thread URL, restaurant website ... whatever you like), then you just copy/paste the spreadsheet in the window and it spits out a google-maps based end product with mouse-overable data associated with each map point.

Pros: you can add a bunch of data very very quickly with this.

Cons: I'm not sure how easy it is to edit/make additions to maps which are already online. I've only used it for "finished" sets of data unlikely to have further additions.

You may also be able to map multiple categories (so coffee shops in blue, bars in green, etc), although I don't believe you can have clickable filters to just see whatever category you want to the exclusion of others.

On the free version, there's a limit to the number of points you can add (but it's a big limit).

There's also a mobile app.