DC Happy Hour Venue for Family in Medical Need

DMVDining2

So Rachel and I are looking for a bar/restaurant to host a fundraiser for one of our friends. It’s very upsetting – our friend, 34 years old and has always been healthy up until now, started having seizures out of the blue. He was transported to GW Hospital, but unfortunately they could not get the seizures to stop nor find the cause as to why they were happening. They ran multiple CAT scans, spinal taps, etc. He was put into a medically induced coma to protect his brain.

He was then helivaced to Johns Hopkins due to their expertise in neurology. Unfortunately, they too have been able to stop the seizures and he’s been in the Critical Care Unit for over two weeks. It’s been in a holding pattern since.

Meanwhile, his family has been traveling from Pennsylvania, Florida, and Vermont and staying in Baltimore. The costs of travel and lodging have been astronomical, not to mention the cost of care at Hopkins.

We’re looking for a suitable venue to host a happy hour in order to raise funds for his family since we honestly do not know how long he will be in the hospital for.

If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Meanwhile, his family has been traveling from Pennsylvania, Florida, and Vermont and staying in Baltimore. The costs of travel and lodging have been astronomical, not to mention the cost of care at Hopkins.

Are there any Baltimore hotels or apartments that would be willing to discount lodging for this family?

My first thought is Max's Taphouse in Fells Point, it's relatively close and they have a large upstairs area that they might be able to block off for someone depending on the group size. No idea about their willingness to do it, either during a random weeknight or, say, Saturday afternoon as I've never tried or been there during slow times.

Ryleigh's in Fed Hill is another option with a similar set-up and probably better food based on what I've read, further from Johns Hopkins but closer to the downtown area. Just two off the top of my head.

I've done stuff at Looney's in Canton before but it's just a typical sports bar, nothing particularly special or anything but its got decent enough taps and decent enough bar food and we got specials and things like that.

Thanks for the help everyone. We secured the upstairs lounge of Hank's Oyster Bar in Dupont for Tuesday, August 28 starting at 5:30, so you're more than welcome to come by. We kindly ask for a donation of $10 at the door, though you are welcome to contribute more at your discretion. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.