Smoking Live Crawfish

SeanMike

Have any of y'all ever smoked crawfish?

We were smoking a bunch of meat yesterday and one of the owners of Chasin' Tails stopped by to say hi. He offered us some crawfish to smoke, live, and we said sure.

The first attempt was by putting them live, in a pan full of beer (and boy, did beer go everywhere when the crawfish hit that!) and then smoke that. It took forever before it got to where anyone felt it safe to eat...probably didn't help that the beer was cold out of the cooler.

But any thoughts on that? Later we ended up just boiling them, and talked about throwing 'em on the smoker for a bit after, but I think that didn't end up happening due to general drunkenness and way too much food for not enough people...

Have any of y'all ever smoked crawfish?

We were smoking a bunch of meat yesterday and one of the owners of Chasin' Tails stopped by to say hi. He offered us some crawfish to smoke, live, and we said sure.

The first attempt was by putting them live, in a pan full of beer (and boy, did beer go everywhere when the crawfish hit that!) and then smoke that. It took forever before it got to where anyone felt it safe to eat...probably didn't help that the beer was cold out of the cooler.

But any thoughts on that? Later we ended up just boiling them, and talked about throwing 'em on the smoker for a bit after, but I think that didn't end up happening due to general drunkenness and way too much food for not enough people...

I saw that picture on Facebook (post it here, traitor). The owner of Chasin' Tails stopping by seems like random serendipity.

Putting those poor crawfish in beer is like sending us to our doom by forcing us to breathe nitrous oxide - what an awesome way to go!

Of all the things I've smoked, shrimp (never tried crawfish) was the only disappointment-it was years ago, I think I did a light olive oil/garlic marinade & the finished product tasted like garlic flavored wood chips/cotton balls (& I didn't even smoke them that long). I've never tried to repeat that experiment...

I was talking to Ed Witt yesterday and he said basically what we thought - the smoker is just too cool to kill them quickly, which is why they took so long.

As for pictures:

(wait a minute, I can't upload a pic?!)

crawdads.jpg

Anyways...Ah (one of the owners) happened to be walking by where we were smoking, and recognized us - especially our buddies who live next door to Chasin' Tails, and therefore are in there all the time spending lots of money. :D