johnb

MOOC's (Massive Open Online Courses) appear to be all the rage in higher education circles these days. There have been several articles lately about this trend, including this one in today's NYT. Anybody with internet access can sign up for these things, and some of them even offer actual credit.

The interesting thing is that even courses of interest to the food-obsessed have found their way into the curricula; here is Coursera's listing of food and nutrition topics (Coursera does not yet offer college credit but probably will eventually). I have signed up for "The Science of Gastronomy" and it takes willpower not to sign up for more (I'm also signed up for a course on irrational thinking).

Maybe if there's some interest we could get up a Rockwell mutual support group.

There is another online course on science and cooking scheduled for October, this one on edX (Harvard), that might be of interest to some. Contributors to this particular course include Ferran Adria, Jose Andres, Harold McGee, Wylie Dufresne, David Chang, Nathan Myrhvold, and several others including some apparently hotshot Spanish chefs. Seems likely to cover a lot of MG subjects.

The course Imentioned above is currently in process and is turning up some very interesting (to me at least) information about how we sense food and how food can be prepared to maximize its quality as detected by our senses. The professors are in Hong Kong and it's necessary to get through their Chinglish, but nevertheless I am finding it quite interesting and useful.

There is another online course on science and cooking scheduled for October, this one on edX (Harvard), that might be of interest to some.  Contributors to this particular course include Ferran Adria, Jose Andres, Harold McGee, Wylie Dufresne, David Chang, Nathan Myrhvold, and several others including some apparently hotshot Spanish chefs.  Seems likely to cover a lot of MG subjects.

The course Imentioned above is currently in process and is turning up some very interesting (to me at least) information about how we sense food and how food can be prepared to maximize its quality as detected by our senses.  The professors are in Hong Kong and it's necessary to get through their Chinglish, but nevertheless I am finding it quite interesting and useful.

This is a bump/shout out to the free Science & Cooking course that starts in October.  The "around the world", chemistry, physics, and engineering aspects are appealing.

If anyone else signs up, maybe we can Skype while doing the kitchen-based homework assignments.

(mischieftain + kitchen cam)

(equals)

(egg drop bloop)

This is a bump/shout out to the free Science & Cooking course that starts in October.  The "around the world", chemistry, physics, and engineering aspects are appealing.

If anyone else signs up, maybe we can Skype while doing the kitchen-based homework assignments.

(mischieftain + kitchen cam)

(equals)

(egg drop bloop)

*bumpity*

This free course starts in two days for anyone wanting to jump into the MOOC.

(if this were a comedy course)

(would it be a)

(mooc-ha?)