Buck's Fishing and Camping, Upper Conn. Ave. NW - Chef James Rexroad Replaces Vickie Reh

10 hours ago, jeffmhunt said:

At the risk of overrating a place that has been underrated in the past, my low expectations were blown away this past Saturday night. My party of 4 had 6:45 reservations (and needed them - the nondescript exterior makes Buck's seem less lively than it was that night, at least) and we stayed until almost 9, not least because we enjoyed our meal so much. Great for out-of-town guests with less adventurous palates (hey, one man's boring is another man's safe), the menu is simple, homey, and almost perfectly executed.

Deviled Eggs were unremarkable (not bad! just had better), but Gordy’s Fried Pickled Jalapeno w/ Yogurt Dip was a nice change of pace from the fried pickles (i.e., cucumber) more prevalent in this kind of restaurant - just a little zing of spice.

Crisp Iceberg Wedge Salad w/ Point Reyes Blue Cheese, Applewood-Smoked Bacon & Horseradish Dressing was fresh and well-balanced, but the revelation in the Starters was Carrot Dip w/ Grilled Flatbread - I was sure it would be a cloying glop, but it turned out to be so much more subtle (cream cheese? sour cream?) and satisfying.

Aforementioned out-of-towners raved about their matching cheeseburgers, but everyone was jealous of my Pan-Roasted Halibut w/ Sauteed Green Beans, Cauliflower Puree & Roasted Pepper & Herb Sofrito Sauce - perfect from first bite to the last.

Service was friendly and not too attentive, and price is very reasonable for DC. Everyone liked that the decor was cheesy on first glance, but quirky upon further inspection. Limited draft selection, but Bell's Two Hearted is always great.

Although we can cordially disagree about the virtues of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, every indication is that Buck's is back.

(I quoted your entire post since you got hosed on the page break. :))

• Like 2

I was also impressed by Buck's recently.  Enjoyed a wood-grilled 8oz steak with fries, and yes, the Bell's! Though next time I will probably dip into the wine list.  They have a decent amount by the glass, and the menu sorts them by light to full bodied.  Keeping it simple I think is the theme, which is appreciated by a wine simpleton like me.

The steak was perfectly salted. Scallops were good too.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, DaRiv18 said:

the mysterious "Stan's Local Merguez Sausage" which I cannot find on the interwebz.

Stanley Feder - definitely local 

http://www.meatcrafters.com/

• Thanks 1