Healthy Dining

Since the closest topic I could find was "Quiet, Healthy Sunday Dinner" and the last response was in 2010, I thought I would start a new topic. I'm new here so feel free to move it if there's a better place for it.

I'm not getting any younger and certain dining indiscretions are starting to catch up to me. Therefore, I'm working on changing my usual approach to food to keep a focus on quality and healthy ingredients, with the occasional indulgence here and there. Also, we don't typically go out to eat because we don't want to cook. When we go out (wife and I), we're looking for an overall experience complete with great food. So, I'm not going to be happy or satisfied if I go to a restaurant with all these fantastic, unhealthy options and I feel required to order chicken breast and broccoli.

To the point of this post, I'm trying to come up with a list of places with healthy options (either the focus of the restaurant or an individual dish) for all occasions. To get started, here are some of the occasions that come to mind and potential options (though I'm not endorsing these, nor have I even been to many of them):

• Quick/On the way home, could be either pick up or delivery - Whole Foods prepared foods, Protein Bar, etc
  • Casual, reasonably priced, order at counter or table service with minimal fuss - Busboys & Poets, etc
  • Higher-end dining, a nice night out - Elizabeth's Gone Raw, Restaurant Nora, etc

Any thoughts, suggestions, additions would be greatly appreciated in developing a reliable list of go to options.

Kevin

I'm not sure it breaks down as neatly as your three categories. For example, most Middle Eastern restaurants have vegan options all over the mezze menu -- hummus, baba ghanouj, tabouli, filafel -- but you can still get some righteous lamb or offal in other dishes. The same idea can apply to any Thai, Chinese or Vietnamese restaurants.

You're going to get some responses that include Sunflower Restaurant in Vienna. Yuan Fu is a Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Rockville. Masala Art, Sticky Rice and Agora should make your quick list.

There's Seasons 52 for a restaurant that specializes in having a lower calorie menu, though it has mixed reviews and questionable healthiness (click for donrockwell thread.)

Whatever restaurant I'm at, if I'm trying to pick something healthier, which will be the case during the holiday season, I scrutinize the menu items. I'll usually order the tuna dish (because tuna is low in calories) or another fish or seafood dish (ideally grilled, and no cream or butter, etc. sauce.)

I wonder if it's even possible to eat out and eat healthy!?!?

Lately for me, it seems that after every nearly meal that I eat out, I end up needing to drink tons of water to (presumably) counteract all the salt from the meal. I never have this problem at home, but I don't go crazy with the salt either.

I remember an Anthony Bourdain show from a while back where he was cooking a steak at his old place and they coated it with butter after it was cooked. I sure never do that at home, and never knew it happened when you eat out, but I wonder how much of that goes on? (not just buttering steak, but adding yummy but fattening/unhealthy ingerdients to foods where wouldn't expect them).

There's Seasons 52 for a restaurant that specializes in having a lower calorie menu, though it has mixed reviews and questionable healthiness (click for donrockwell thread.)

I was at Seasons 52 once last year, I thought it was very good (not overly memorable but I do remember being happy with the service and food but not much else specifically) - The one thing I very much remember are the small desserts, these were perfect to allow a taste of the dessert but not big so you don't have to worry about the calories

I'm not sure it breaks down as neatly as your three categories. For example, most Middle Eastern restaurants have vegan options all over the mezze menu -- hummus, baba ghanouj, tabouli, filafel -- but you can still get some righteous lamb or offal in other dishes. The same idea can apply to any Thai, Chinese or Vietnamese restaurants.

I agree that my three categories may not be all-inclusive, they're more a jumping off point to get the discussion started. I'm all for various ethnic cuisine and appreciate the recommendations. I'll report back as I try some of these and/or find options as I go. The only one I've been to on your list is Sticky Rice and since their tater tots with sauce are listed as a vegan option, another point to keep in mind is that gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, etc doesn't necessarily equal healthy. Most of it boils down to common sense by the diner, but if restaurants make an effort to produce healthy dishes (i.e. limit salt, omit unnecessary butter as Bart mentioned), it can help take some of the guesswork out of the equation. I realize their food still needs to taste good to make money, but hopefully there is a balance to be found.

Pretty much any buffet crap lunch spot offers that sort of thing, not just Whole Foods. And Subway is probably the healthiest of the quick meal types. In my mind, a traditional Japanese restaurant has the best chance to offer the healthiest meals, and the diner has the best chance to control portions served. But even Japanese food can wreck damage on your teeth (sushi rice = vinegar + sugar) so I don't think there's a magic bullet.

Or there are subscription meals you can sign up for, somewhat expensive but still a time-saver.

I think you'd have to form an group of diners who committed to spend $x day, 4 or 5 nights a week, for a supper club where the fare is food for optimal living, and not destination dining or comfort food. Or just cook at home more. I do think what you're talking about is noble, but I think this "balance to be found" requires more work on the part of diners who are truly committed to this sort of lifestyle.

This is a great thread. It is literally my job to contemplate the current trends around the meaning of "healthy" and work with companies to actualize these trends into food for consumers.

Healthy historically has been a function of what Pollan describes as "nutritionism"- the health value of the food being the sum of its nutrient parts. The lower in fat, sugar, sodium, and/or calories and the more dense in vitamins and minerals the better. While that operationalization of the concept of healthy seems to work for fruits and vegetables, it also can lead to the Snackwells Effect. Current consumer trends around healthy are not so much about nutrients as they are about methodology of production and encompass health for humans, planet, and livestock. Think of this as a Whole Foods approach. Healthy is also an ordinal, rather than cardinal, conceptual continuum. Draconian or highly rigid food lifestyles despite being seen as healthy ideals are viewed by many consumers as being mentally unhealthy.

So consistent with this approach of moderation and balance, portion control is another mega trend. This is intereting because Americans typically equate value with volume as opposed to quality. You see this through the proliferation of tapas-style small plates concepts, which are also pretty profitable. You will start to see more restaurants advertising half portions or offering to pack half a plate in a to go box before the meal begins.

But for those who simply want help cutting calories when dining out, I suggest you take a look at www.healthydiningfinder.com . They even have an app. Yes, it is a lot of chains, but since they are required by many municipalities as well as Obamacare to do calorie labeling on their menus it is a great source of info for those of us trying to fit into our skinny jeans.

I can't resist but this is directly relevant to this discussion. Here is one of my more infamous essays on Chowhound about "calorie counting."

When I wrote this in 2004 I had counted calories obsessively for twenty five years. Now it is thirty three. Immodestly I believe I am really accurate and have gotten to the point where I pay little attention to a scale, rather to a caloric budget and "spending" calories which I'll have to repay.

1. I don't trust published calorie counts. Specific example: Seasons 52 (which I have written about extensively and raved ad nauseum about their original on Sand Lake road in Orlando dating to its opening claims that their flatbreads have 480 calories or less. http://www.seasons52...u/nutrition.asp Note the bbq chicken flatbread which is one of their best. I never believed that there were less than 700, perhaps 800 calories on one of these until seven weeks ago I had one, again, on Sand Lake road. Unlike the many I've eaten for almost a decade before this that evening's flatbread had almost a parchment paper thin crust with half the thickness of cheese on top that I've ever seen. The kitchen didn't seem to have drizzled even a drop of oil on it: it was dry, truly flat and honestly, flavorless.

I believed it really did have 470 calories.

The first one, the one that must have been measured for publication to reassure throngs of diners that no guilt should have been associated with ordering it-if it had been my first it would have been my last.

2. On the website linked above, www.healthydiningfinder.com, Ledo's pizza claims that two slices of their vegetarian pizza are 240 calories.

Really?

I know Ledo's pizza. First time I had one was at the sorely missed Adelphi original when I was ten years old. I believe this was the year it opened, 1957. The Ledo's I know (and love) has thick cheese and chunky sauce slathered over layers of a pastry like crust. I'm not sure how many square inches are in a slice they are reporting for nutrition but I would guess this particular slice is a fraction of the size of what is actually being partitioned out in their stores. Somehow 500 for two seems more realistic and, I am assuming that a slice of Ledo's is half the size of a Domino's. Again, their 240 calories is for two.

Wonder how many calories are in a slice of Ray's on Avenue of the America's?

3. Dating to the mid 80's I have been a regular at Outback. Yes, Outback. They do a good job with grilled fresh fish, steamed veggies (double order) and a salad with tomato viniagrette (throw away the croutons and grated American cheese).

4. Be careful of dinner salads which can be designed for a Rubenesque diet, not a slimming one. Remember that some dressings are 100 calories a tablespoon. Croutons add crunch, perhaps flavor while cheese adds richness and thickness to one's belly. As do the croutons.

5. Chef Vola's in Atlantic City has the best spinach in the world. Spinach. With roasted garlic. Probably two pounds of spinach sauteed in a half cup of olive oil and at least one, if not two, heads of garlic which have had more olive oil ladelled over them in the oven. Yes, I know that olive oil is good for you. But when a Vola sized platter of spinach approaches a thousand calories or more I have to ask if I would prefer a pint of Ben and Jerry's? Still, a week ago I asked for and received a souffle cup of extra roasted garlic. (My wife and I shared.)

But I go back to Ledo's and to Vola's and to Seasons 52. And I know what I am getting into. The first two represent excess which frankly is appropriate and longingly expected. Seasons 52 whose heritage is Disney's California Grill (founding chef was Disney's) is excellent when their own kitchen ignores caloric mandates. For better or worse I've returned and will continue to many, many times because I think what they turn out is a bit more calorically liberal than perhaps what was originally intended.

I must also admit that I am proud of the post I linked above. It speaks passionately of the excessive calories I fantasize about.

In the Multiple Locations Dining Guide, there's a Healthy (and Vegetarian) section for places that really seem to make it their focus.

Don, thanks for this link. The more resources I can get my hands on, the better.

I don't trust published calorie counts.

Joe, thanks for your input and points. I believe that those who are interested in this topic have a responsibility to educate themselves as you have done and I'm trying to do, but if posted information at restaurants is way off base (significantly understated in these examples), it will make this effort doubly difficult.

As a new year begins, lists and forecasts are all the rage. I typically take this kind of reporting with a grain of salt, but the more I read about healthy trends in the restaurant industry, the more encouraged I am that a large group of people are taking this seriously and we will see tangible results in the near future. Here's an example of one such article:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2013/01/2013_food_trend_a_healthy_stat.php

I'm extremely skilled at picking healthy dishes at restaurants.

I've also gained a considerable amount of weight recently due to an injury (and corresponding inability to exercise). See this saga back in 2007? Do a find/rfinds on "hip." Guess what ... it wasn't my hip. :(

Maybe I'll start ordering primarily healthy meals (I have *no* problem doing this from start-to-finish), post them in the restaurant threads, and link to them from here. Would anyone be interested in that?

• Like 1

I've also gained a considerable amount of weight recently due to an injury (and corresponding inability to exercise). See this saga back in 2007? Do a find/rfinds on "hip." Guess what ... it wasn't my hip. :(

Maybe I'll start ordering primarily healthy meals (I have *no* problem doing this from start-to-finish), post them in the restaurant threads, and link to them from here. Would anyone be interested in that?

I'd be very interested!

On a related note, I was just asking friends for suggestions on something and no one had an answer. Maybe someone here does.

I need to lose about 20#. I love to cook. I love to eat. I have no problem going on a diet, but I find that most of the low-cal or diet cookbooks are pitched toward someone who 1) doesn't like to cook; and 2) sees food more as fuel.

I would love to find a cookbook or diet plan that is pitched toward the kind of food-literate skilled cooks this board attracts. Preferably the book would have menu plans and shopping lists so that someone could follow the recipes for 30 days without having to think too much, but the recipes would be more sophisticated than your usual diet fare and would presuppose some cooking skill.

My friends seemed to think this does not exist (and that it would be a winning business opportunity). Anyone here know of something like this?

I would love to find a cookbook or diet plan that is pitched toward the kind of food-literate skilled cooks this board attracts. Preferably the book would have menu plans and shopping lists so that someone could follow the recipes for 30 days without having to think too much, but the recipes would be more sophisticated than your usual diet fare and would presuppose some cooking skill.

My friends seemed to think this does not exist (and that it would be a winning business opportunity). Anyone here know of something like this?

I don't know of any exact cookbook, but you used to be able to do a search on epicurious.com for recipes with low calories. I also find Everyday Food, the Martha Stewart cooking magazine (only quarterly now, but they have a lot of older recipes on their website or they used to) really helpful they do a lot of the type of recipes you are looking for, you might also take a glance at Cooking Light. I get that from my Coke rewards and find it helpful for that sort of cooking. Although the big thing is to read the heck out of all the labels on anything you buy. Honestly Paleo kind of sucks if you aren't a good creative cook, but seeing the results of people at my gym who have done it is really tempting to me.

I don't know of any exact cookbook, but you used to be able to do a search on epicurious.com for recipes with low calories. I also find Everyday Food, the Martha Stewart cooking magazine (only quarterly now, but they have a lot of older recipes on their website or they used to) really helpful they do a lot of the type of recipes you are looking for, you might also take a glance at Cooking Light. I get that from my Coke rewards and find it helpful for that sort of cooking. Although the big thing is to read the heck out of all the labels on anything you buy. Honestly Paleo kind of sucks if you aren't a good creative cook, but seeing the results of people at my gym who have done it is really tempting to me.

I also love to cook and love to eat, and a few years ago tried to lose some weight (I lost approximately 60 pounds), and wasn't able to find a good cookbook along the lines of what you mention wanting. And pretty much for the same reasons. I had some luck using Cooking Light as an inspiration, and then adapting off of that.

Also, unrelated, but in my case while healthier eating certainly played a role, I think increased and more regular exercise was as big of a component.

• Like 1

On a related note, I was just asking friends for suggestions on something and no one had an answer. Maybe someone here does.

I need to lose about 20#. I love to cook. I love to eat. I have no problem going on a diet, but I find that most of the low-cal or diet cookbooks are pitched toward someone who 1) doesn't like to cook; and 2) sees food more as fuel.

I haven't had much luck with cookbooks. The real Low-fat, vegetarian ones are really boring, save for maybe one or two you might stumble across accidentally. Instead, I would suggest you peruse www.eatingwell.com. There's a lot of good stuff on that website. The problem with following a "diet" per se, is that while you might lose the weight, you aren't prepared to keep it off. It's more a question of changes in your lifestyle, encompassing both cooking and exercise. That's why it is hard. The folks at Eating Well are as serious about cooking as you seem to be.

I would love to find a cookbook or diet plan that is pitched toward the kind of food-literate skilled cooks this board attracts.

After riding the weight loss/gain roller coaster all my adult life, I managed to take off about 65 pounds over the course of about 6 years (in three distinct phases). I now have about a ten pound seasonal swing that I seem able to manage. Everyone is different, but for me the to keys were

1. exercise

2. portion control.

The second one was especially important. I had to come to terms with the fact that I love food and cooking and dining too much to ever be happy while sticking to a standard diet. "Healthy" for me meant either using a touch of heavy cream instead of a pour, or choosing to cook something else and maybe save that dish for a Friday night treat, and then only let myself eat a few bites. But I was far happier eating three bites of a dish properly prepared than I could ever be filling up on skim milk and rice crackers.

• Like 2

Thanks all! Great suggestions. I especially like the link to Eating Well, which has some interesting meal plans (although the website is awful!)

I am going to start talking to a nutritionist/food/life coach to try to figure out how to eat better without losing my bon vivant/hedonistic side.

Thanks all! Great suggestions. I especially like the link to Eating Well, which has some interesting meal plans (although the website is awful!)

I am going to start talking to a nutritionist/food/life coach to try to figure out how to eat better without losing my bon vivant/hedonistic side.

I would appreciate any suggestions for the "Healthy and Vegetarian" section of the Multiple Locations dining guide. (Can send them to me via PM so we don't clutter this thread.) In general, we don't have dining guide entries unless a thread for a restaurant already exists, so by all means, start a thread for your favorite healthy restaurant!

2. portion control.

The second one was especially important. I had to come to terms with the fact that I love food and cooking and dining too much to ever be happy while sticking to a standard diet. "Healthy" for me meant either using a touch of heavy cream instead of a pour, or choosing to cook something else and maybe save that dish for a Friday night treat, and then only let myself eat a few bites. But I was far happier eating three bites of a dish properly prepared than I could ever be filling up on skim milk and rice crackers.

I have a suggestion for people who are worried about portion control, and now that I'm thinking about it (for the first time in quite awhile), I'm going to begin implementing it myself.

When you're eating, and you take a bite of food (preferably a small bite), put your utensils *down* after each bite, and don't pick them up again until you swallow. It sounds so simple, but a lot of times when you're hungry, you get into "shovel mode" and your nervous system doesn't make you feel full until about ten minutes after you've already had enough to eat. This technique alone will help many people, just as it has helped me in the past (and hopefully will help me in the future). And, it has the further benefit of allowing you to savor and think about what it is you're eating, as opposed to scarfing down food like a dog at a bowl. I see no reason not to reacquaint myself with this very, very useful and helpful habit beginning ... right now.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion for people who are worried about portion control, and now that I'm thinking about it (for the first time in quite awhile), I'm going to begin implementing it myself.

When you're eating, and you take a bite of food (preferably a small bite), put your utensils *down* after each bite, and don't pick them up again until you swallow. It sounds so simple, but a lot of times when you're hungry, you get into "shovel mode" and your nervous system doesn't make you feel full until about ten minutes after you've already had enough to eat. This technique alone will help many people, just as it has helped me in the past (and hopefully will help me in the future). And, it has the further benefit of allowing you to savor and think about what it is you're eating, as opposed to scarfing down food like a dog at a bowl. I see no reason not to reacquaint myself with this very, very useful and helpful habit beginning ... right now.

This is one of the first recommendations of "Mindful Eating":

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Yes, I would be interested, definitely!

I think there are so many definitions of healthy eating these days that it can be impossible for any establishment to satisfy everyone.

I prefer the primal/paleo school of eating. (I also have an unhealthy obsession with cupcakes, cakes and brownies and only lost 7 pounds last year so I know I'm not walking the walk...) So what I'm looking for is different than someone who is doing the Zone or trying to go vegan or vegetarian.

And truthfully the best thing I can do to eat healthfully and lose weight is to not eat out. It is too easy for me to mindlessly down the bread, order an extra glass of wine and shrug off my diet for the pasta carbonara because it is a special treat. Until every thing is special treat and I still weigh a ton and I'm not doing anything to make myself healthier.

I'm on Day 6 of a recommitment to primal eating. After my birthday I will probably do a Whole 30. In the meantime, I'm not eating out. I turned down cake today.

I'm hoping that by the time I do venture out to dine again I will have reset at least some of my sugar cravings...

West End Bistro is back on my radar after reading Tom Sietsema's article about the new Bistro Light menu (link to menu, scroll down). The menu has lower calorie options and tells you how many calories the option has.

The article starts by mentioning a salmon entree that's only 425 calories. West End Bistro also offers two lower calorie desserts.

In general when restaurants provide calorie counts, I wonder how accurate the counts are, but I appreciate having the lower calorie options and calorie information.

On 12/22/2012 at 5:09 PM, DonRocks said:

Thanks for starting this thread. In the Multiple Locations Dining Guide, there's a Healthy (and Vegetarian) section for places that really seem to make it their focus.

---

Sweet Leaf (kirite)

[Note: I just split Sweet Leaf into its own thread - you can click back-and-forth between the two.

The Multiple Locations Dining Guide also has a "Healthy (and Vegetarian)" section.

You can also click on the tabs, "Healthy" orĀ "Healthy Dining" (which I need to beef up (no pun intended) and merge).]

• Like 1