Jump to content

Market To Market, Del Ray - Made-To-Order Subs and Sandwiches on 116 E. Del Ray Avenue


Recommended Posts

Market to Market in Del Ray offers made to order subs and sandwiches with fresh breads and quality ingredients. They also have prepared foods such as lasagna and meatballs that come from the kitchen(s) of Cafe Pizzaiolo. They carry a small selection gourmet groceries (pasta, sauce etc), wines, a large beer selection and probably one of the best baguettes in the DC area.

There are a couple tables inside and out, as well as a blackboard with daily specials.

Look for Specialicious coupons and you'll really get a deal. Try the "Randolph" and enjoy very thin pastrami on rye and just go with the shredded lettuce and tomato. It works!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. MV and I shared a pastrami reuben and a roast pork Italian-type sandwich on Sat. Once again, really good ingredients, flavors, freshness, breads, proportion and price.

Nice lunch to enjoy or pick up when at the farmers market on Sat. mornings ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometime in the past year Market to Market changed their prosciutto to a marginally adequate domestic brand. Dry and salty with a bland favor, it's negatively affected their subs. Well, the ones with "prosciutto," anyway. We used to buy sliced prosciutto there occasionally. Now I could not recommend it.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've been to/shopped at/ordered a sandwich at Market 2 Market, you've probably encountered Rose Cruz. Sadly, she died yesterday as the result of injuries sustained when she was struck by a car last Thursday evening. She leaves behind a husband and two young daughters.

Her pleasant manner and smile will be missed by many in Del Ray and the surrounding area, including me. Larry Ponzi created a GoFundMe page to assist her family.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, goldenticket said:

If you've been to/shopped at/ordered a sandwich at Market 2 Market, you've probably encountered Rose Cruz. Sadly, she died yesterday as the result of injuries sustained when she was struck by a car last Thursday evening. She leaves behind a husband and two young daughters.

Her pleasant manner and smile will be missed by many in Del Ray and the surrounding area, including me. Larry Ponzi created a GoFundMe page to assist her family.

That is terrible, thanks for posting this.  I only had brief encounters with her, but she was always so nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2016 at 1:58 PM, goldenticket said:

If you've been to/shopped at/ordered a sandwich at Market 2 Market, you've probably encountered Rose Cruz. Sadly, she died yesterday as the result of injuries sustained when she was struck by a car last Thursday evening. She leaves behind a husband and two young daughters.

Her pleasant manner and smile will be missed by many in Del Ray and the surrounding area, including me. Larry Ponzi created a GoFundMe page to assist her family.

Oh NO! I'm catching up on posts and just now saw this. This is terrible, and if anyone can think of something I can do, I'll do it. (My knee-jerk reaction when I hear of something like this is to try and think of something to "do," even though there most likely isn't anything.)

Boy, I am so sorry to hear this. If anyone at Market-to-Market reads this, and needs *anything* from me, just write me at donrockwell@dcdining.com, and I'll do pretty much whatever you need me to.

With sadness,
Don

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been getting delivery from Market 2 Market, they have great online beer selection, their Italian subs to me are better than the Italian Place, I need to try the Cuban!  We also have been getting bagels, chicken salad and other items.  We haven't had a miss yet on the food, although one of eggs we ordered in the dozen arrived broken, this definitely gets a pass.  I am hoping that the location of St. Elmos opening up in North Old Town will have some Market2Market sandwiches available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

We've been getting dThe elivery from Market 2 Market, they have great online beer selection, their Italian subs to me are better than the Italian Place, I need to try the Cuban!  We also have been getting bagels, chicken salad and other items.  We haven't had a miss yet on the food, although one of eggs we ordered in the dozen arrived broken, this definitely gets a pass.  I am hoping that the location of St. Elmos opening up in North Old Town will have some Market2Market sandwiches available.

To me, the Funky Cuban - which uses roasted pork - is "better" than any Italian sub in the area that uses pre-packaged, nitrated coldcuts.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That Funky Cuban was really good!  If they did the pressed bread with a little crunch, oh man!  But even without, the pork was really juicy, I liked the pickle, and it seemed to have really high quality cheese?  Was that just my imagination?  It seemed like really good cheese.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

That Funky Cuban was really good!  If they did the pressed bread with a little crunch, oh man!  But even without, the pork was really juicy, I liked the pickle, and it seemed to have really high quality cheese?  Was that just my imagination?  It seemed like really good cheese.

It's Swiss cheese, but it works (there's nothing wrong with a good Emmental). Yes, that salty-garlicky pickle is good (*) - I'm glad you liked it!

(*) I was infuriated once when I forgot about it, and found it at the bottom of the empty bag after finishing the sandwich.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

It's Swiss cheese, but it works (there's nothing wrong with a good Emmental). Yes, that salty-garlicky pickle is good (*) - I'm glad you liked it!

(*) I was infuriated once when I forgot about it, and found it at the bottom of the empty bag after finishing the sandwich.

It was gooier than I thought most swiss cheese was... It definitely wasn't run of your mill sliced swiss, it was gooier and more yellow, with the tang though of swiss.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

It was gooier than I thought most swiss cheese was... It definitely wasn't run of your mill sliced swiss, it was gooier and more yellow, with the tang though of swiss.

I don't think I've had this sandwich since 2019 - now you have me wondering if they're using mild Provolone (my palate memory is faintly whispering that you're correct about the tanginess, but it's not like John's Roast Pork tangy (btw, the pork itself at John's Roast Pork is wildly overrated - they tong the slices out of a steam-table bin-thing filled with liquid - between that and the spinach, it can be a soppy day in Waterville)).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I don't think I've had this sandwich since 2019 - now you have me wondering if they're using mild Provolone (my palate memory is faintly whispering that you're correct about the tanginess, but it's not like John's Roast Pork tangy (btw, the pork itself at John's Roast Pork is wildly overrated - they tong the slices out of a steam-table bin-thing filled with liquid - between that and the spinach, it can be a soppy day in Waterville)).

No, def not provolone, I think Emmental is likely, but it didn't seem to be your generic one is all, it just seemed like a thicker slice of something that was non like grocery store quality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to the M2M menu, I'm not afraid to "explore the studio space" as they say. I have yet to find something that I don't enjoy. But I also have yet to find something (including the Funky Cuban) that I enjoy as much as the Duncan. The Duncan is the same roasted pork that's on the Cuban, paired with provolone, hot cherry peppers, and wilted spinach. The bread isn't pressed like the Cuban but still provides plenty of crunch, and there is just enough spice to make it interesting without being overpowering. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JimCo said:

When it comes to the M2M menu, I'm not afraid to "explore the studio space" as they say. I have yet to find something that I don't enjoy. But I also have yet to find something (including the Funky Cuban) that I enjoy as much as the Duncan. The Duncan is the same roasted pork that's on the Cuban, paired with provolone, hot cherry peppers, and wilted spinach. The bread isn't pressed like the Cuban but still provides plenty of crunch, and there is just enough spice to make it interesting without being overpowering. 

Just from your description, the Duncan sounds at least as appealing to me as the Funky Cuban - next time I go here (and I don’t think I’ve been this year), I’m going for the Duncan.

(I pray they don’t decide to make their own version of the Luther Burger with the Duncan.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JimCo said:

When it comes to the M2M menu, I'm not afraid to "explore the studio space" as they say. I have yet to find something that I don't enjoy. But I also have yet to find something (including the Funky Cuban) that I enjoy as much as the Duncan. The Duncan is the same roasted pork that's on the Cuban, paired with provolone, hot cherry peppers, and wilted spinach. The bread isn't pressed like the Cuban but still provides plenty of crunch, and there is just enough spice to make it interesting without being overpowering. 

 

I was going to order this, save for the fact that I was making roast pork tenderloin for dinner! It was on my list of upcoming next orders, will definitely be so now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...