Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I've seen that swipe on TV and at many places.  I find it unappetizing.

Anyhow, is that a poached egg on top of romanesco salad?

The swipe looks better in person, I must say. 

It is burrata...

On 3/22/2018 at 12:40 PM, reedm said:

The swipe looks better in person, I must say. 

It is burrata...

I don't want to be known as a thread killer, so I'll provide the answer. It's AhSo, located in Brambleton (Ashburn, really). 

Would love to get the opinions of others, so check out AhSo's outstanding food and drink. They're creative, and venture beyond their typical menu boundaries. We are looking forward to trying their Wednesday Ramen and Japanese Whiskey pop-up, as well as their upcoming Paso Robles wine dinner in May.

I'm very pleased to have them close by!

13 hours ago, reedm said:

I don't want to be known as a thread killer, so I'll provide the answer. It's AhSo, located in Brambleton (Ashburn, really). 

Would love to get the opinions of others, so check out AhSo's outstanding food and drink. They're creative, and venture beyond their typical menu boundaries. We are looking forward to trying their Wednesday Ramen and Japanese Whiskey pop-up, as well as their upcoming Paso Robles wine dinner in May.

I'm very pleased to have them close by!

I thought it was AhSo, but checked their online menu and didn't see burrata - oh well. -_-

52 minutes ago, dslee said:

Is this brunch at the bar of a restaurant in VA or DC?

Dinner at the bar of a Virginia restaurant. More accurately, of a restaurant in Virginia.

Hint: Don't overthink this - it isn't really that difficult. I've been here one other time, not long after it first opened - it was markedly better then, especially their signature dish.

9 hours ago, dslee said:

Yes, Ellē.  The dish in the photo is one of my favorites on the menu.  

SUMMER SQUASH PANZANELLA
Cherry Tomato, Sourdough, Roasted Peppers, Basil, Goat Cheese

This looks really good, I am having a vegetarian for dinner next week, and I think I might make this.  Can I ask- is it zucchini two ways- roasted and raw, or is that cucumber on top?

2 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

This looks really good, I am having a vegetarian for dinner next week, and I think I might make this.  Can I ask- is it zucchini two ways- roasted and raw, or is that cucumber on top?

I'm going with zucchini - that doesn't appear to have the fibrous structure of cucumber. It also looks slightly more ivory colored, and I don't see any stray seeds.

On the other hand, I wish one of those top pieces was flipped upside-down, because my confidence level is shaky on this one.

You know, that teeny-tiny, triangular piece of skin on the very top piece looks like cucumber more than zucchini. Actually, no it doesn't - the skin is too dark.

Purely from palate aesthetics, raw cucumber seems like it might be too watery and not quite flavorful enough for this dish.

Final Answer: Zucchini.

(This is a game, right? No, dammit, it's a blood sport!) :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Zucchini, yellow squash and pattypan squash.  Two ways:  Grilled.  Raw and marinated.  No cucumber on top.   

Also, the Washington Post published the recipe for the Sweet & Sour Strawberry Salad.  The photo below is also from my dinner on July 1, 2018.  Both dishes are my current favorites on the menu.

_03.jpg.eec2e3eda228ef6986295a1a204f16dd.jpg

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'm going with zucchini - that doesn't appear to have the fibrous structure of cucumber. It also looks slightly more ivory colored, and I don't see any stray seeds.

On the other hand, I wish one of those top pieces was flipped upside-down, because my confidence level is shaky on this one.

You know, that teeny-tiny, triangular piece of skin on the very top piece looks like cucumber more than zucchini. Actually, no it doesn't - the skin is too dark.

Purely from palate aesthetics, raw cucumber seems like it might be too watery and not quite flavorful enough for this dish.

Final Answer: Zucchini.

(This is a game, right? No, dammit, it's a blood sport!) :)

Yes, Zucchini. Your game is 💪 or should I say fierce 😉

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Not just the "T," but the shape of the "T," right?

The shape of the T might well mean something to a person with more knowledge of the restaurants in Virginia, but not to me.  But starting ow I will look more carefully at the shape of letters on restaurant plates, etc.