Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

3 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I *knew* you'd be the one to get this.

Is 5 minutes record timing?  Hahahha, and I have never ordered a burrito there!  The crispy tacos or the tostada are my favorites. I will say though, now living right by the Del Ray location, the Lee Harrison location to me is much better.

46 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Is 5 minutes record timing?  Hahahha, and I have never ordered a burrito there!  The crispy tacos or the tostada are my favorites. I will say though, now living right by the Del Ray location, the Lee Harrison location to me is much better.

Actually, I don't like any of them (this was the Columbia Pike location) - the food tastes like microwaved El Paso (waaaaayy back when there was only the Del Ray location, I remember it being better, but it was so long ago that I'm not sure).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dslee said:

Yes, Emilie's.  Insanely fun and delicious!

The granite (bar countertop) was a giveaway.  The patrons sitting next to us concurred that the pork was delicious -- but head's up: it's $48.  (All the dishes we ate were at least good, and the branzino was great (mostly, like the pork, because of accompaniments that put it over the top).  The cocktails -- not so much.)

On 10/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, DonRocks said:

Actually, I don't like any of them (this was the Columbia Pike location) - the food tastes like microwaved El Paso (waaaaayy back when there was only the Del Ray location, I remember it being better, but it was so long ago that I'm not sure).

I have told you over and over again that you order wrong though.  If you get things other than the crispy tacos, or tostada, you are just asking for disappointment.  And the crispy tacos need a little hot sauce, I go for cholula or their house made habernero.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

I have told you over and over again that you order wrong though.  If you get things other than the crispy tacos, or tostada, you are just asking for disappointment.  And the crispy tacos need a little hot sauce, I go for cholula or their house made habernero.

Yes, but I wanted a burrito, was in the area, and I always make every effort to steer clear of "Burritos Bro's" (the place that used to be the second outlet of Pedro & Vinny's) - if anyone wants to tell me that Burritos Bro's has "turned the corner," I'd be willing to try it again: It has been several years since I've been. (I was going to go to Bantam King for some chicken, but just didn't feel like making the drive).

19 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, but I wanted a burrito, was in the area, and I always make every effort to steer clear of "Burritos Bro's" (the place that used to be the second outlet of Pedro & Vinny's) - if anyone wants to tell me that Burritos Bro's has "turned the corner," I'd be willing to try it again: It has been several years since I've been. (I was going to go to Bantam King for some chicken, but just didn't feel like making the drive).

Is there a good burrito in the DMV?  I tend to dislike burritos, but I am not sure what makes a great burrito.  To me, the best burrito I have ever had was a green chili burrito in NM- which was about 1/4 the size of any burrito I have seen in DC, but much more incorporated in flavor and manageable to eat.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Bad Saint?

Yes, Bad Saint, one of my top favorite restaurants in DC. 

3 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Can't wait to find out, sounds delicious!

The name of the dish is Sinangag Na Alimasag, which is currently on the menu at Bad Saint.  So darn delicious as was my entire dinner!  I love Bad Saint.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:00 PM, DonRocks said:

What film did I see today?

IMG_3868.jpgIMG_3869.jpg

On 11/9/2019 at 1:36 AM, DonRocks said:

Hint: If you recognize the restaurant, and you know my taste in film, this isn't that difficult.

Too easy? Okay, what two films did I see this weekend?

PS - I'd never been to either of these restaurants before - neither the fast-casual Indian, nor the fast-casual pizzeria.

IMG_3877.jpg

On 11/24/2022 at 4:38 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

where did we dine?  

(trying to bring this back…)

Wow, this is hyper-minimalist. I assume this is marinated beef, and ... tofu? portobello? And Japanese.

This dish could have been awful, or could have been terrific - if quality beef is marinated properly, it can be overcooked and still be marvelous. Did the beef (assuming it's beef) have a teriyaki-like sweetness?

Where did I dine on Thanksgiving? (I wouldn't say this was representative of what I've had here in the past, but it fit the bill, especially for leftovers today.)

Thanksgiving2022.jpeg

Maybe I should rename this thread "Foodle."

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pat said:

Corduroy?

👏 Yes 👏 

I’ve had Thanksgiving meal at Corduroy several times now, and although this was not up to glories past, they were *slammed* at 4:30 PM, and the crew was pretty much just slinging hash, probably relying on pre-prep as much as possible. There was no room, or time, for any corrections as they were in full-on crank-it-out mode.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:05 PM, Pat said:

Is that tofu and beef or fish and beef?

Steak and a single grilled mushroom. 

On 11/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, DonRocks said:

Wow, this is hyper-minimalist. I assume this is marinated beef, and ... tofu? portobello? And Japanese.

This dish could have been awful, or could have been terrific - if quality beef is marinated properly, it can be overcooked and still be marvelous. Did the beef (assuming it's beef) have a teriyaki-like sweetness?

Where did I dine on Thanksgiving? (I wouldn't say this was representative of what I've had here in the past, but it fit the bill, especially for leftovers today.)

Thanksgiving2022.jpeg

Maybe I should rename this thread "Foodle."

It was not Japanese. It was just steak. And a grilled mushroom.  

You made far better thanksgiving decisions than I did. 

This was the dessert to go with the steak and single mushroom. 

BBCE5FD3-A040-460E-BD5A-5DDAD046A832.jpeg.3f7cf19f5e210b42c4d1020c438adc59.jpeg

3 hours ago, bookluvingbabe said:

Steak and a single grilled mushroom. 

It was not Japanese. It was just steak. And a grilled mushroom.  

You made far better thanksgiving decisions than I did. 

This was the dessert to go with the steak and single mushroom. 

BBCE5FD3-A040-460E-BD5A-5DDAD046A832.jpeg.3f7cf19f5e210b42c4d1020c438adc59.jpeg

bookluvingbabe,

You know I’ve always tried to make this a friendly, non-commercial community.

So why are you posting photos from “The Menu?”

• Haha 3

My best guess is that this is a tired, male (*) cook, working at a dying - perhaps even a chef-less - restaurant which was initially well-funded enough to provide marble counters and attractive plates and cutlery.

Is that a Roquefort salad?!

Viewed as a whole, this is as if a prison decided to do something special for Thanksgiving.

(*) No female has an aesthetic this bad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

My best guess is that this is a tired, male (*) cook, working at a dying - perhaps even a chef-less - restaurant which was initially well-funded enough to provide marble counters and attractive plates and cutlery.

Viewed as a whole, this is as if a prison decided to do something special for Thanksgiving.

Could be one of those retirement communities where they invite you for a presentation over lunch....

• Haha 2

Well…

Our thanksgiving restaurant was Annabelle. 

It was the most bizarre meal we’ve had from Frank Ruta in the 20 years we’ve been stalking… I mean enjoying his food. 

yes, I should have chosen turkey. But I wasn’t in the mood for turkey. 

Mr. BLB, a wiser soul than me, had the pasta dish and it was pretty close to perfect. Thank goodness that doesn’t change. 

On 11/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, DonRocks said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bookluvingbabe said:

Well…

It was the most bizarre meal we’ve had from Frank Ruta in the 20 years we’ve been stalking… I mean enjoying his food. 

Mr. BLB, a wiser soul than me, had the pasta dish and it was pretty close to perfect. Thank goodness that doesn’t change. 

OMG. I was going to guess that but when I looked at the menu online it didn't seem to match. Of course, I didn't see a specifically Thanksgiving menu, but, yikes.

3 hours ago, bookluvingbabe said:

Well…

First, let me say that other than 2 Amys, I've been to Palena more than any other restaurant in Washington, DC (almost surely over 100 visits).

Regarding "Frank Ruta and Annabelle," I went (to Mirabelle?) about 4-5 years ago, with DIShGo, raving about this insanely great chef - the legendary Frank Ruta - and left the restaurant embarrassed, with my tail dragging between my legs.

After a few years passed, we went to Annabelle, and had essentially the same level of dinner. It was bitterly disappointing, and once again, I left with my tail dragging between my legs.

Before I write the next paragraph, let me say that I haven't talked with Frank in years, and never told him about either of these ... primarily because the meals were *so* bad that any "feedback" wouldn't matter. They were bad at such a fundamental level that I, myself, didn't believe that Frank was actually in the kitchen (even though before the second visit, I called the restaurant, and specifically asked if he would be there).

Neither of my two meals approached what I see from your pictures in terms of disaster. The only difference I see between your meal at Annabelle and The Titanic is that The Titanic at least had a band.

It says a lot that I've been to this supposed "Frank Ruta restaurant" twice in five years, having left both times feeling like someone violated my mother.

In terms of Frank, I'm willing to believe that "hard times" can force the greatest of people to drop to their knees, but only to a point: I simply do not believe that Frank Ruta had anything to do with these plates of food.

And you have my absolute sympathies because I suspect this meal was not inexpensive.

Cheers,
Rocks

Edited by DonRocks
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

First, let me say that other than 2 Amys, I've been to Palena more than any other restaurant in Washington, DC (almost surely over 100 visits).

Regarding "Frank Ruta and Annabelle," I went (to Mirabelle?) about 4-5 years ago, with DIShGo, raving about this insanely great chef - the legendary Frank Ruta - and left the restaurant embarrassed, with my tail dragging between my legs.

After a few years passed, we went to Annabelle, and had essentially the same level of dinner. It was bitterly disappointing, and once again, I left with my tail dragging between my legs.

Before I write the next paragraph, let me say that I haven't talked with Frank in years, and never told him about either of these ... primarily because the meals were *so* bad that any "feedback" wouldn't matter. They were bad at such a fundamental level that I, myself, didn't believe that Frank was actually in the kitchen (even though before the second visit, I called the restaurant, and specifically asked if he would be there).

Neither of my two meals approached what I see from your pictures in terms of disaster. The only difference I see between your meal at Annabelle and The Titanic is that The Titanic at least had a band.

It says a lot that I've been to this supposed "Frank Ruta restaurant" twice in five years, having left both times feeling like someone violated my mother.

In terms of Frank, I'm willing to believe that "hard times" can force the greatest of people to drop to their knees, but only to a point: I simply do not believe that Frank Ruta had anything to do with these plates of food.

And you have my absolute sympathies because I suspect this meal was not inexpensive.

Cheers,
Rocks

We had a good meal there last thanksgiving, prompting BL-10th grader to ask to go back. 

We had a pretty much perfect meal there for our anniversary and a really good pandemic carryout meal for our anniversary in 2020. 

Our experiences at Mirabelle, while limited, were excellent. 

It’s very depressing.

• Sad 1