Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Kaz Sushi Bistro?

So, how was it?

Yes (I'm glad you got this - you deserved it).

It was great. It isn't quite as pudding-like as it looks; more like the texture of brains (I'm making it sound even less appetizing). It is not only delicious; it's only $9 for a pretty ample portion (served hot). Kaz says nobody buys it - there are dishes on his menu that are $15 that aren't as good.

Yes (I'm glad you got this - you deserved it).

It was great. It isn't quite as pudding-like as it looks; more like the texture of brains (I'm making it sound even less appetizing). It is not only delicious; it's only $9 for a pretty ample portion (served hot). Kaz says nobody buys it - there are dishes on his menu that are $15 that aren't as good.

Thanks, my misspent youth watching Japanese Iron Chef wasn't in vain! And the arm in a sling was a huge hint.

Urban BBQ

darkstar965: Urban BBQ?

I'm pretty sure I've seen red and white checked paper at Urban BBQ, and I was thinking of guessing that next, but I don't think that would make "anyone's top 10 list." A lot of people's, sure, but not anyone's.

That said, it's not KBQ, and I don't think it's Johnny Boy's, Dixie Bones, Hill Country, The Pit Stop, Buz & Ned's, or Chubby's. To me, this does not look like great brisket - decent, yes. Note the red flecks in the greens, and that it's in a ceramic bowl. Also, it might be a blue and white tabletop.

Man, it's hard to tell when you're relegated to guessing from tabletops or serving vessels.

• Like 1

Urban BBQ

darkstar965: Urban BBQ?

Very different from Secretariat's performance in the Belmont, this was a photo finish with LauraB just nudging out the reigning champ, cheezepowder.

Yep, Urban. I'm trying to go with some easier ones so this fit that bill.

One note on this. This pic shows Urban's brisket. The ribs are great, which seems pretty much a consensus view. But this brisket, praised by some more than others, is more contentious. This was my first time trying it. And, of course always true that no BBQ spot always nails whatever dish for which it's best known. With that caveat though, I'll say this wasn't so good. Too thin. Too dry. The ribs that we didn't photograph, however, were excellent as they've been more than a dozen times in a row that I've been here. With KBQ still out of operation, I think Urban has Top 2 or Top 3 best ribs status for our area. And, I'd same the same about the collards, also shown the photograph.

I'm pretty sure I've seen red and white checked paper at Urban BBQ, and I was thinking of guessing that next, but I don't think that would make "anyone's top 10 list." A lot of people's, sure, but not anyone's.

That said, it's not KBQ, and I don't think it's Johnny Boy's, Dixie Bones, Hill Country, The Pit Stop, Buz & Ned's, or Chubby's. To me, this does not look like great brisket - decent, yes. Note the red flecks in the greens, and that it's in a ceramic bowl. Also, it might be a blue and white tabletop.

I'd stand by "anyone's" with your post in support. To me, comparing Hill Country to the others is near lunacy (though, a careful re-reading of your post indicates you didn't necessarily mean to make that comparison). Even if you do include Hill Country and the not operating KBQ, you've listed a total of 7, along with Urban. Exactly why I chose 10, rather than, say, 3 or 5, for "anyone's". I don't think there's any way someone who has made the rounds of the area's better BBQ spots can put Urban below a 10 position. You're spot on that the brisket wasn't great. It wasn't that "decent" either.

Where did we dine? My entrée, and Mrs. G's entrée:

attachicon.gifwhere 1.JPGattachicon.gifwhere 2.JPG

Giving up all my research just so cheezepowder can steal my thunder ...

Wooden tabletops without linens, bread service with (butter?), a single (baguette slice?) instead of a basket, a carafe of (wine, perhaps?), on a metal tray, plain white plates, a small metal candle which probably means it's dinner, no starch to be seen except for the bread

1. Farmed (salmon?), (wood?-)grilled, topped with unadorned serrated lettuce (green leaf?), atop a bed of (leeks?), two random beet chunks, inner ring of (mustard-based?) sauce, outer ring of (basil-infused?) (olive?) oil, possibly fresh provençal herb (thyme?)

2. (Wood?- (grilled?)) Langoustines, in their own semi-reduced jus, herbaceous, possible chive, possible chopped black olive, plain grilled bread intended for saturation, lemon wrapped in yellow cloth with green ribbon

There just aren't that many restaurants in this area serving relatively unadorned seafood like this. These are both fine looking dishes, but I'm going one step lower than (the former) BlackSalt. When this is revealed, I'll be curious as to what the odds and ends are in these.

Yes, the Majestic.

This was our first visit to the Majestic, and we were very pleased with the service and the food. And it wasn't lotus root under the Char. That dish was served with cauliflower puree, fennel, and beets. According to the menu it should have had chicory, but if it did my wife didn't taste it.

I'm starting to think Don is stalking us all.

I'm feeling threatened by cheezepowder!

I don't know if this qualifies as a hint or not: My dish was called Shrimp Acadiana, and Mrs. G's dish was Arctic Char.

I had that Arctic Char this evening, thanks to your tantalizing photo - The Majestic is a wonderful restaurant.