Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

You haven't definitively ruled out Orso but I'm assuming that's out based on other hints already given.

Last guess for me then I'm graciously ducking out. This based mostly on the most recent hint.

Red Rocks.

I'm definitively ruling out Orso, and this was better than the awful Red Rocks (oh, how I pine away for the early days of the first Red Rocks).

Did comet get a guess yet?

No, and it's not even something I've thought of myself.

Folks, listen to me: there is a fairly well-respected individual behind these pizzas who was mentioned *just today* on the internet as being 'extraordinary.' Note that's in single-quotes rather than double-quotes.

No, and it's not even something I've thought of myself.

Folks, listen to me: there is a fairly well-respected individual behind these pizzas who was mentioned *just today* on the internet as being 'extraordinary.' Note that's in single-quotes rather than double-quotes.

I thought surely you were referring to Edan but we've now guessed every spot at which he has worked. I was surely...wrong. :(

Urbana?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

The quiet student sitting, paying attention, in the back of the room, gets an A+ on the test!

Come back again sometime, my friend! It was Anthony Pilla at Urbana, in an extremely disappointing showing relative to his dough-tossing talents.

---

OOPS!

thetrain got it first!

Urbana.

And those 'zas look nothing like anything that has ever come out of Orso. They are what the industry calls "woodfire" pizza.

Here I was hoping to give it to a first-timer, but the ever-solid "thetrain" chimes in about 30 seconds sooner.

Well done, my friend!

Both of you deserve kudos to the max. thetrain gets this one by coming in first, but you both get equal street cred in my book.

This was fun, and an awesome performance by all involved, particularly by thetrain and TheInsider! Our dual champions!

What was the "extraordinary...internet" reference? Not here on the board, I take it?

Look at Tom Sietsema's chat today. Find "extraordinaire".

There was nothing extraordinary about any of these pizzas at all, and that's why I wondered several times if s(he) was even there.

Look back at my clues. I was not trying to mislead or tease anyone; I was merely disappointed in what we had tonight, compared to what Anthony Pilla tossed for us at Seventh Hill about a year ago. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the oven is no great shakes.

I think it was especially informative on how to determine a pizza type by picture. Comet wasn't a bad guess, because what you posted clearly wasn't anything that could be called "Neapolitan." How'd they taste compared to Paradiso?

I think it was especially informative on how to determine a pizza type by picture. Comet wasn't a bad guess, because what you posted clearly wasn't anything that could be called "Neapolitan." How'd they taste compared to Paradiso?

The crust was better - more flavor, and less "dinner roll-like texture." It doesn't *look* any better, but it was. And adequately salted, too; Paradiso's is often bland.

Judging by the thickly sliced meat, I'm going to say Stachowskis's.

Nope.

DGS Delicatessen?

The winner!

It was their Roasted Turkey, but without the peppers, which might have thrown someone off. The crispy chicken skin really made my day!

porcupine's bruschetta: Grape + Bean (solved by Pat)

DonRocks' mask: Mitsitam Cafe (Josh Radigan)

John William G's almond cake: Volt (Choirgirl21)

porcupine's trifle: Seasons 52 (booklovingbabe)

porcupine's ravioli: The Majestic (goldenticket)

goodeats' squash tempura: Burma (JimRice)

Scott Johnston's octopus: Pizzeria Orso (Mulligan)

rockcreek's salad: Wildwood Kitchen (LauraB)

DonRocks' Two Belles sign: District Taco (Nervous Eater)

JimRice's sashimi: Yo! Sushi (DonRocks)

lperry's drunken noodles: Bangkok Golden (DonRocks)

porcupine's bread board: Birch & Barley (WWZ)

WWZ's turnip cakes: The Source (DonRocks)

plarkins' flowery sugar-on-snow dessert: America Eats (ALB)

porcupine's Himalayan Karahi and Aloo Tama Bodi: Himalayan Heritage, Bethesda (jandres374)

booklovingbabe's breadless salmon sandwich: Fishnet (DonRocks)

booklovingbabe's lamb shank: Central (cheezepowder)

B.A.R.'s Indian deity photo: Woodlands, Fairfax (DonRocks)

DonRocks' kitschy American painting: Old Ebbitt Grill (Craig Erion)

DonRocks' fried okra and Asian Buffalo wings: Maple Ave. Restaurant (WWZ)

darkstar965's Hering Hausfrauen Art: Old Europe (JuneBacon)

JimRice's Szechuan Beef Noodle Soup and tofu-peanut-cilantro salad: A&J (cheezepowder)

Simon's rabbit roulade: Range (cheezepowder (Damn, girl!))

porcupine's suckling pig and polenta: The Ashby Inn (thetrain)

darkstar965's cheeseburger and fries: Victoria Gastropub (DonRocks)

DonRocks' turkey sandwich and chili: Earl's Sandwiches, Ballston (VikingJew)

porcupine's blood orange salad with La Tur: Fiola (DonRocks)

DonRocks' Cathal pan-frying steak: Society Fair (weezy)

JimRice's goat stew with mini mofungo ball: Mio (cheezepowder)

TheMatt's Ethiopian vegetarian platter: Enat (plarkins)

DonRocks' palows: Panjshir (TheMatt)

cheezepowder's fred chicken: Ray's To The Third (DonRocks)

darkstar965's sashimi: Kotobuki (DonRocks)

cheezepowder's corn cake with short ribs and fried egg: Ris (LauraB)

porcupine's pork carnitas taco platter: Baja Fresh (lovehockey)

cheezepowder's empanadas: Panas (stevep)

booklovingbabe's beef teriaki: Yoyogi Sushi (cheezepowder)

JimRice's Char Kway Teow: Malaysia Kopitiam (qwertyy)

DonRocks' Barcelona banner: La Choza (thetrain)

John William G's pork, hushpuppies, and kale: Trummer's On Main (DonRocks)

porcupine's steak tartare: Bistro Bis (The Delicious)

cheezepowder's tapas: Boqueria (darkstar965)

cheezepowder's shakshouka and bagels: DGS Delicatessen (thetrain)

plarkin's brioche pudding: 2941 (Sundae in the Park)

DonRocks' pescado frito: Pupuseria Doña Bessy (thetrain)

porcupine's Meyer lemon posset: Palena (Jonathan)

DonRocks' tara shirako: Kaz Sushi Bistro (Jim Rice)

booklovingbabe's chili: Chubby's (DonRocks)

darkstar965's brisket and collards: Urban BBQ (LauraB)

lperry's chips and salsa: Taqueria El Poblano, Arlington (Fishinnards)

lperry's beet salad: Jaleo, Crystal City (The Delicious)

porcupine's potato gnocchi with lamb Bolognese: Proof (cheezepowder)

John William G's Arctic char and shrimp: The Majestic (DonRocks)

JimRice's Vietnamese salad: Rice Paper (DonRocks)

DonRocks' light fixture: Boundary Road (frogprince)

Simon's bucatini with clams: Ancora (AlexC)

porcupine's Chinese lazy Susan: Grace Garden (DonRocks <--- that would be 3 out of the last 5)

porcupine's lamb meatballs and polenta: 2Amys (booklovingbabe)

DonRocks' charcuterie platter: Range (DanielK)

DonRocks' triad of pizzas: Urbana (thetrain, in a photo finish with TheInsider)

goodeats' roast turkey sandwich: DGS Delicatessen (LauraB)

Darkstar965, Izakaya Seki?

Well, that surely qualifies as "guessed easily." And, Rhone1998, a quick look at Don's running tally seems to indicate this is your first win. So that salves any wound felt at making it too easy. Also first appearance for Seki. :)

This is on the regular menu. It's Seki's version of Tako Wasabe and is a very nice example of what an Izakaya normally is and what Seki represents well: simple, well executed fare with enough menu expansion and twists to keep things interesting and successful in this market where Izakaya's aren't a common phenomenon as in Japan. This dish has only two ingredients, both in the name. Bits of chopped fresh octopus and fresh wasabi root. The octopus is marinated in its own juices with the wasabi and, presto, a dish with nice chew, flavor and some heat. Not my favorite dish of the many I've had at Seki but a good one.

How'd you guess it, Rhone?

Well, that surely qualifies as "guessed easily." And, Rhone1998, a quick look at Don's running tally seems to indicate this is your first win. So that salves any wound felt at making it too easy. Also first appearance for Seki. :)

This is on the regular menu. It's Seki's version of Tako Wasabe and is a very nice example of what an Izakaya normally is and what Seki represents well: simple, well executed fare with just enough twists to keep things interesting. This dish has only two ingredients, both in the name. Bits of chopped fresh octopus and fresh wasabi root. The octopus is marinated in its own juices with the wasabi and, presto, a dish with nice chew, flavor and some heat. Not my favorite dish of the many I've had at Seki but a good one.

How'd you guess it, Rhone?

I've been to Seki 4 times now, and of all the many dishes I've tried, the only one I really didn't like resembled the one in your picture. In my case it was a baby squid dish, and I just couldn't get past the texture. So I thought of that as soon as I saw your photo.

Woohoo! Simul-pic time!! No cheats from FB post!

Bonus if you can guess where the words, "Yummy, yummy! In my tummy!...there's a party in my tummy!" came from. :-)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hadn't seen this one. Really different kind of picture. It doesn't look like food to me. In the foreground, some kind of telescoping bone or shell implement and the background almost looks like the cockpit of a car? :wacko:

Aside from it being from an ostensibly food-service spot either in the District or in Maryland, can you give a hint or two? Where in the pic is there clearly something edible? Maybe there isn't? Maybe it's a mobile food delivery thing like a truck? Trucks stay in one jurisdiction so that could still work but, then again, it looks like too high end a truck with BMW or Mercedes-ish finishes. Except for that bone (or shell) telescope? Telescoping chop sticks?

Hadn't seen this one. Really different kind of picture. It doesn't look like food to me. In the foreground, some kind of telescoping bone or shell implement and the background almost looks like the cockpit of a car? :wacko:

Aside from it being from an ostensibly food-service spot either in the District or in Maryland, can you give a hint or two? Where in the pic is there clearly something edible? Maybe there isn't? Maybe it's a mobile food delivery thing like a truck? Trucks stay in one jurisdiction so that could still work but, then again, it looks like too high end a truck with BMW or Mercedes-ish finishes. Except for that bone (or shell) telescope? Telescoping chop sticks?

Well, I took the pic in my car, so it's potable and not from a food truck. The telescoping thing is my blinker indicator.

The top and bottom part are edible, both black, although the top is an item not typically ordered by non-Taiwanese people (this is specific, as I once polled Mainlanders and they had no clue what it was), so to be fair, if you can guess the bottom, I think that matters more.

Does this help any?

Well, I took the pic in my car, so it's potable and not from a food truck. The telescoping thing is my blinker indicator.

The top and bottom part are edible, both black, although the top is an item not typically ordered by non-Taiwanese people (this is specific, as I once polled Mainlanders and they had no clue what it was), so to be fair, if you can guess the bottom, I think that matters more.

Does this help any?

Not really but I guess some progress that I accurately divined it was a car. Cool blinker indicator! Leopard spots? I'll focus on the bottom per your hint since I'm only a partial mainlander. Bottom part seems pretty clearly to be part of the steering wheel. The impressed horn icon is a giveaway on that. Then to the left, but still bottom is a bit of chrome finish. And, to the left of that. something fairly homogenous and brown. Almost like peanut butter pushed into an opening in the wheel. Kidding. Sort of.

Alex, what made you think Vietnamese restaurant? The blinker maybe?

Okay, I'm ready to guess! It's a Lexus! Or, Acura! Nah, those (and steering wheels) aren't generally edible. Though, sometimes when stuck in really bad traffic...never mind.

Really interested to see where this goes. Someone else is going to see something here. I think it pretty funny (and challenging) :)

^that is pretty funny darkstar! My car is nowhere close to the luxury lines you describe.

For those unfamiliar, my pic is not really an entree or appetizer, but in the "snack" category that can be found in Eden Center (hence Alex's guess) but not traditionally, counting its origin.

I can't imagine a pb flavor ever being invented for this "snack," but I can see how the edible things at the bottom can be "leopard spots."

What fun!

Union Market or Merrifield? I've only been to the Union Market location but I love that place. Their wild boar pate is out of this world. How did you prepare those?

Union Market. I cooked them on our Big Green Egg. Got the Egg up to about 800 degrees and seared them for about 90 seconds a side (flames shooting everywhere - thought my neighbors were going to call 911) pulled them off and dropped the temperature down to 450 or so and finished them off. Really good stuff.

I'm not even close, am I?

Pretty sad that I can't tell if something is East Asian or Eastern European.

I was going to say something about the guess being focused on the wrong continent, but thought it was too early for clues...but no, it wasn't European. :)

I was going to say something about the guess being focused on the wrong continent, but thought it was too early for clues...but no, it wasn't European. :)

That "thing" on the top-left looks like one of my mom's stuffed cabbages - that's what threw me into Hungary / Croatia. But there's something Asian about this, too. Did it come with any starch?