Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Satay Sarinah?

You got it! This is about a quarter of their rijsttafel. Upper left is an egg. Far upper right is a piece of banana leaf that contained some wonderful sticky rice compressed around ground chicken. Beef rendang is at the lower left.

You got it! This is about a quarter of their rijsttafel. Upper left is an egg. Far upper right is a piece of banana leaf that contained some wonderful sticky rice compressed around ground chicken. Beef rendang is at the lower left.

Well, that explains my confusion (sort of).

Would anyone like to volunteer to tackle adding links to the Master Index, using the first line as a guide? People will want to click onto the original pictures without having to scroll and page backwards. Once the links are done, they won't have to be done again.

(The first link, to the photo, is much more valuable than the second link, to the thread, since interested readers can always find the threads in the dining guides, so I'm thinking we should just do the first links to minimize future maintenance (*). To get the URL, go to the post with the photograph, and click the post number (e.g., this is #652). Then, just cut the URL, and add the link as usual.)

---

Big thanks to plarkins for tackling this. If anyone wants to update it from time-to-time, just cut-and-paste plarkins' post (the links cut-and-paste automatically), and append the new ones onto it.

Edited by DonRocks

I like rankings and numbers, so I added a leaderboard at the bottom.

porcupine's bruschetta: Grape + Bean (solved by Pat)

DonRocks' mask: Mitsitam Cafe (Josh Radigan)

John William G's almond cake: Volt (Choirgirl21)

porcupine's trifle: Seasons 52 (booklovingbabe)

porcupine's ravioli: The Majestic (goldenticket)

goodeats' squash tempura: Burma (JimRice)

Scott Johnston's octopus: Pizzeria Orso (Mulligan)

rockcreek's salad: Wildwood Kitchen (LauraB)

DonRocks' Two Belles sign: District Taco (Nervous Eater)

JimRice's sashimi: Yo! Sushi (DonRocks)

lperry's drunken noodles: Bangkok Golden (DonRocks)

porcupine's bread board: Birch & Barley (WWZ)

WWZ's turnip cakes: The Source (DonRocks)

plarkins' flowery sugar-on-snow dessert: America Eats (ALB)

porcupine's Himalayan Karahi and Aloo Tama Bodi: Himalayan Heritage, Bethesda (jandres374)

booklovingbabe's breadless salmon sandwich: Fishnet (DonRocks)

booklovingbabe's lamb shank: Central (cheezepowder)

B.A.R.'s Indian deity photo: Woodlands, Fairfax (DonRocks)

DonRocks' kitschy American painting: Old Ebbitt Grill (Craig Erion)

DonRocks' fried okra and Asian Buffalo wings: Maple Ave. Restaurant (WWZ)

darkstar965's Hering Hausfrauen Art: Old Europe (JuneBacon)

JimRice's Szechuan Beef Noodle Soup and tofu-peanut-cilantro salad: A&J (cheezepowder)

Simon's rabbit roulade: Range (cheezepowder (Damn, girl!))

porcupine's suckling pig and polenta: The Ashby Inn (thetrain)

darkstar965's cheeseburger and fries: Victoria Gastropub (DonRocks)

DonRocks' turkey sandwich and chili: Earl's Sandwiches, Ballston (VikingJew)

porcupine's blood orange salad with La Tur: Fiola (DonRocks)

DonRocks' Cathal pan-frying steak: Society Fair (weezy)

JimRice's goat stew with mini mofungo ball: Mio (cheezepowder)

TheMatt's Ethiopian vegetarian platter: Enat (plarkins)

DonRocks' palows: Panjshir (TheMatt)

cheezepowder's fried chicken: Ray's To The Third (DonRocks)

darkstar965's sashimi: Kotobuki (DonRocks)

cheezepowder's corn cake with short ribs and fried egg: Ris (LauraB)

porcupine's pork carnitas taco platter: Baja Fresh (lovehockey)

cheezepowder's empanadas: Panas (stevep)

booklovingbabe's beef teriaki: Yoyogi Sushi (cheezepowder)

JimRice's Char Kway Teow: Malaysia Kopitiam (qwertyy)

DonRocks' Barcelona banner: La Choza (thetrain)

John William G's pork, hushpuppies, and kale: Trummer's On Main (DonRocks)

porcupine's steak tartare: Bistro Bis (The Delicious)

cheezepowder's tapas: Boqueria (darkstar965)

cheezepowder's shakshouka and bagels: DGS Delicatessen (thetrain)

plarkin's brioche pudding: 2941 (Sundae in the Park)

DonRocks' pescado frito: Pupuseria Doña Bessy (thetrain)

porcupine's Meyer lemon posset: Palena (Jonathan)

DonRocks' tara shirako: Kaz Sushi Bistro (Jim Rice)

booklovingbabe's chili: Chubby's (DonRocks)

darkstar965's brisket and collards: Urban BBQ (LauraB)

lperry's chips and salsa: Taqueria El Poblano, Arlington (Fishinnards)

lperry's beet salad: Jaleo, Crystal City (The Delicious)

porcupine's potato gnocchi with lamb Bolognese: Proof (cheezepowder)

John William G's Arctic char and shrimp: The Majestic (DonRocks)

JimRice's Vietnamese salad: Rice Paper (DonRocks)

DonRocks' light fixture: Boundary Road (frogprince)

Simon's bucatini with clams: Ancora (AlexC)

porcupine's Chinese lazy Susan: Grace Garden (DonRocks <--- that would be 3 out of the last 5)

porcupine's lamb meatballs and polenta: 2Amys (booklovingbabe)

DonRocks' charcuterie platter: Range (DanielK)

DonRocks' triad of pizzas: Urbana (thetrain, in a photo finish with TheInsider)

goodeats' roast turkey sandwich: DGS Delicatessen (LauraB)

jandres374's fresh meat: Red Apron (LauraB)

goodeats' bubble tea: Jumbo Jumbo Cafe's Bubble Express (cheezepowder)

darkstar965's tako wasabe: Izakaya Seki (Rhone1998)

Rhone1998's rijsttafel: Satay Sarinah (cheezepowder)

Top 3:

DonRocks - 14

cheezepowder - 8

LauraB and thetrain - 5

• Like 3

Hey goodeats-

Bonus if you can guess where the words, "Yummy, yummy! In my tummy!...there's a party in my tummy!" came from. :-)

You left us hanging on these words. :) Where's that quote from?

The top and bottom part are edible, both black, although the top is an item not typically ordered by non-Taiwanese people (this is specific, as I once polled Mainlanders and they had no clue what it was), so to be fair, if you can guess the bottom, I think that matters more.

Identifying the bottom was my first step but guessing the grass jelly on top is actually what made me narrow it down to Jumbo Jumbo Cafe.

I thought Satay Sarinah because the red peppers in the sauce over the egg looked like they came from sambal oelek. At first I thought the picture showed the entire plate (which looked like some sort of sampler) and realized later it was only part of the plate.

I like rankings and numbers, so I added a leaderboard at the bottom.

Top 3:

DonRocks - 14

cheezepowder - 8

LauraB and thetrain - 5

Me too and nice addition. Have to confess surprise at the leaderboard. I'd have guessed Cheezepowder was leading or at least running more neck and neck with Rocks. Though it'd be inherently subjective and thus controversial, I think it'd be interesting to assign degrees of difficulty to each photo. If that was done in any number of semi-credible ways, I bet Cheeze would be higher. ;)

It is! Mesir wat in the bowl, gomen and, um, the yellow lentils on the plate of injera. Sadly, neither these nor the three dishes Mr P ordered were particularly good. Mesir wat might be one of my favorite dishes ever, of any cuisine, but this one was bland. Spicy hot, actually, but lacking the layers of flavor and richness that I've come to associate with that dish. If Caboose Cafe had been my introduction to Ethiopian food, I'd'a been shrugging my shoulders and wondering why people like it so much.

it looks like it could be a waffle under that cheese (or whatever) and the sauce plating is similar, but you are correct about the cone. I just happened to be viewing the page trying to figure out how to upload an image so threw in the quick guess.

Tallula

:blink:

Just out of curiosity, how in the flying, flipping hell did you know this?

(Braised oxtail with Jerusalem artichoke puree, cucumber blossoms (note the tiny little cucumber attached to the bottom of the flower), in its own braising liquid (with chicken stock, carrot juice, and celery juice))

Redwood?

Holy crap, how the hell did you get this? I was sure I'd have to post some clues.

Frozen chocolate mousse, cherry sorbet, cherry pate de fruit, toasted marshmallows, berries with mint and basil, toasted graham cracker crumbs.

That dessert had more components and is more complicated than the typical chocolate dessert. So I guessed it was a restaurant that's on the upscale side and is putting effort into its food (that's not to say that simple-looking dishes don't take effort). I also guessed it was probably in Maryland, or possibly certain areas of DC. I thought of a few possibilities, looked at some pictures, and narrowed it down to Redwood because of the square wood pattern on the table in your picture.

That dessert had more components and is more complicated than the typical chocolate dessert. So I guessed it was a restaurant that's on the upscale side and is putting effort into its food (that's not to say that simple-looking dishes don't take effort). I also guessed it was probably in Maryland, or possibly certain areas of DC. I thought of a few possibilities, looked at some pictures, and narrowed it down to Redwood because of the square wood pattern on the table in your picture.

"Elementary, my dear Watson!"

Clearly Cheezepowder has some secret powers...pretty impressive! :)

Let's try this one. I've purposely not included any bit of the table since table patterns have given away too many WDID puzzles. Devious? Nah, not so much. Unfair? Only for Don to say. But there's a fair amount going on here so hopefully a good but far-from-impossible challenge. This was taken within the past 10 days.

post-2258-0-99619900-1364755695_thumb.jp

Dino

Yep. Hmmm, I have to rethink my approach here. Had a few that were dinged for being too difficult and the last two were guessed near instantly. :)

Dean calls this a "Marinati" or "Italian "ceviche" w/ Faroe Island salmon, West Coast halibut, Maine scallops." Was part of a lovely Easter Brunch menu today.

What gave this one away, blb?