Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Where did I dine?

attachicon.gifphoto (2).jpg

Darn if that table isn't familiar...but not familiar enough. Components seem mostly identifiable. The shaved truffle, a white fish (cod maybe?), cipollini and what looks like a corned beef or pork type slice rolled and stuffed with.....??

The most interesting thing about this shot to me is the plate. Looks like a flat, square piece of glass versus a more proper formed plate.

Agree it must be a higher end place given the care of the presentation and the truffle. Probably a newer, more modern spot given the table and plate.

Need to noodle this a bit more...or wait for Cheezepowder or Don to tell us where it is. :D

Components seem mostly identifiable. The shaved truffle, a white fish (cod maybe?), cipollini and what looks like a corned beef or pork type slice rolled and stuffed with.....??

Alas, the only ingredient you correctly identified was the shaved truffle.

Alas, the only ingredient you correctly identified was the shaved truffle.

Hmmm. Continuing the one-step-at-a-time approach to just get the components right, maybe squid instead of a white fish and tongue rather than corned beef or pork? Also, I'm thinking unlikely given the other components but that stuffing looks like it could be uni?

Hmmm. Continuing the one-step-at-a-time approach to just get the components right, maybe squid instead of a white fish and tongue rather than corned beef or pork? Also, I'm thinking unlikely given the other components but that stuffing looks like it could be uni?

The stuffing is indeed uni. And what you see is a kind of beef, but not corned beef.

Beatiful and opulent dish along with an interesting pairing of great ingredients. How was it as a composed dish?

It was pretty wonderful. The earthiness of the truffles brought everything together. Stuffing the Kobe with uni was perhaps gilding the lily, but oh so gloriously. On a previous visit, I had a Kobe presentation -- just by itself, raw and then lightly seared -- that was also great.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this dish cost?

It was part of the Omakase menu, which was $150/pp that night. Don't think this is on the regular menu.

Since my last submission was identified with such dispatch by Don, how about another one?

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Guessing even the board leaders may need a hint on this. Rare but nice looking lamb with fingerling or some other kind of potato (maybe), brussel sprouts and maybe a polenta there in back middle? Even if mostly right, that dish could be a lot of places.

Guessing even the board leaders may need a hint on this. Rare but nice looking lamb with fingerling or some other kind of potato (maybe), brussel sprouts and maybe a polenta there in back middle? Even if mostly right, that dish could be a lot of places.

Yes, mostly right. Lamb with potato, sweet potato, and brussel sprouts.

As for hints: a restaurant that doesn't get a lot of attention here. Chef made his name in the '80s at a fabled DC restaurant, now closed; is still in the kitchen every service at his new place.

As for hints: a restaurant that doesn't get a lot of attention here. Chef made his name in the '80s at a fabled DC restaurant, now closed; is still in the kitchen every service at his new place.

Al Dente.

Regardless, bloody good-looking lamb chops.

Bistro Provence?

I was just there last week. This is a very good guess, and may indeed be correct.

I had Roast Pepper, and Roast Chicken, and Yannick was there - I saw him - first course was okay, second course was mediocre (because of the free-range chicken - huge chicken breasts, with nothing to support them, spoke of "Farm," and not much else (refer to Beuchert's Saloon)); nothing was of this quality.

The lamb chops I once had at Le Paradou came from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania, and tasted remarkably of LAMB (not lamb; LAMB).

Bistro Provence?

Yes!

I was just there last week. This is a very good guess, and may indeed be correct.

I had Roast Pepper, and Roast Chicken, and Yannick was there - I saw him - first course was okay, second course was mediocre (because of the free-range chicken - huge chicken breasts, with nothing to support them, spoke of "Farm," and not much else (refer to Beuchert's Saloon)); nothing was of this quality.

The lamb chops I once had at Le Paradou came from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania, and tasted remarkably of LAMB (not lamb; LAMB).

I should write some thoughts on Bistro Provence in the thread here. The specials are generally what to get there -- any of the fish, esp. turbot or halibut, and the veal chop, beef tenderloin, or rack of lamb, or any of the duck preparations. Or, when he has it, the lobster with Sauternes sauce from Le Pavillon.

Bistro Provence?

Bravo, Laura. You've done us proud.

The members of this website continue to amaze me.

I should write some thoughts on Bistro Provence in the thread here. The specials are generally what to get there -- any of the fish, esp. turbot or halibut, and the veal chop, beef tenderloin, or rack of lamb, or any of the duck preparations. Or, when he has it, the lobster with Sauternes sauce from Le Pavillon.

One problem with Bistro Provence is that they do not recite the prices of the specials. I was very tempted with the turbot, but had no idea about the price. The Lobster Pockets with Sauternes sauce were indeed there, as a special, but no price was recited, so I didn't commit. Also, no prices were mentioned about the wines by the glass, despite me asking for a list; they merely recited a list of varietals by the glass that they were offering, without naming the price per glass. As it turns out, all wines by the glass are $13-15, so as long as you know that in advance, you won't get yourself into trouble there. The dinner specials, I wasn't as confident about. This is absolutely the exact same problem that Al Tiramisu has.

Don,

I don't know but I need to know where dish #5 is from ASAP. Are those capers? Some type of fish piccata? Outdoors?

BLB, Yes, those are capers, and the dish is "Filet of Flounder Stuffed with Crabmeat." It's oven baked, then sautéed in a lemon-butter white wine sauce with capers, and then flash-baked for a golden finish. Yes, it was outdoors, but no, it was not a Piccata because there was no breading on the fish.

is it all the same place?

No, these are 5 different places, in all 3 areas of the DMV.

You're correct on all counts except the watercress (and there are 2 more key elements on the plate, although I don't suspect anyone will be able to guess them just looking at the dish).

A beautiful spring dish. Is that cous cous?

You're correct on all counts except the watercress (and there are 2 more key elements on the plate, although I don't suspect anyone will be able to guess them just looking at the dish).

If not watercress, then pea shoots without the tendrils? (Pea shoots have opposing leaves, and these appear to as well).

The white cylindrical things look almost like scallion bottoms - they're hanging onto the morels like tickbirds.

The "couscous" could be a fried breading or even panko.

Is the thing on the bottom-left also a morel?

Is the fish a mushy whitefish? I'm having trouble guessing the fish from this angle.

It is pea shoots and yes, that's another morel. Those are not scallions though. I can't really tell you what the other "cous cous" looking component is without sort of giving away the dish (if you read it on a menu), but it's not a grain. This may help though - the fish is golden tilefish.

cheezepowder nailed it. who would have guess it was a lemon and thyme crumble?

As always. I almost posted where's cheezepowder? earlier. :P

Yeah, there was no guessing that. And also why I couldn't tell you what it was because I'm pretty sure no other dishes out there have that "ingredient". Still don't know what the crumble actually was, but the lemon and thyme flavors were definitely present. It was also a little sweet so I needed it in moderation, but it was a nice component to balance the dish.

Sadly I forgot to take a photo of my first dish, the beef carpaccio, which was excellent. I should go put this in the 8407 thread I guess. :P

I can take an initial stab at number four.

It looks like DR has some kind of fish tartare, maybe salmon. There's an green herby topping with creme fraiche. Maybe some kind of pickle or squash chip? then a piece of toast. I think he's drinking a chardonnay with that. Then his dining companion has some kind of plate toast, a pate, gherkins and a little salad.

I can take an initial stab at number four.

It looks like DR has some kind of fish tartare, maybe salmon. There's an green herby topping with creme fraiche. Maybe some kind of pickle or squash chip? then a piece of toast. I think he's drinking a chardonnay with that. Then his dining companion has some kind of plate toast, a pate, gherkins and a little salad.

Yes, it's a salmon tartare (notice the fine dicing which takes a lot of effort and shows pride in the kitchen's work). That is indeed a crème fraiche with jalapeño for a kick, and the chip is apple. I'm drinking a $20 bottle (!) of Buzet from SW France, and took the second half home while my young dining companion stuck with water. Indeed, he has a country, pork-based paté with cornichons, salad, and toasted bread - the things on the bottom left are pickled baby red onions. A fine guess, sir.

I'll give you another hint: this is one of the most underrated restaurants in the entire DC area, and is also one of the best restaurants in Falls Church. Absent that previous hint (i.e., Falls Church), nobody could possibly be reasonably expected to guess this.

There aren't 10 restaurants in the DC area who would chop a salmon tartare so beautifully. It's not 2941, and it's not Orso, but the first sentence of this post is a clue, i.e., the kitchen taking pride in its work.

Is that the signature Zaytinya olive oil/vinegar dish I see in the upper right corner in #3?

It most certainly is the "mark of Zaytinya," or is it the "mark of Zorro?", thetrain. Bravo. It's the grilled Halloumi cheese, and was the single best course of an otherwise middling meal, save for the cocktails (do yourself a favor and get a straightforward gin gimlet) which was enthusiastically shaken and strained by the brilliant bar manager, Alex Strange.