Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

It looks like the sugar on snow from America eats (with additional flowers). since that is closed I am guessing minibar. or I could be way off...

winner!

Sorry for the delay, but it is indeed the Sugar on Snow from Andres' America Eats. The server pours maple syrup over shaved ice, forming patches of chewy maple candy.

Doh, how could we forget about that, after all of the contract silliness when you opened, lol.

I do think you should change your rules for DR members so you can be a part of our game. ;)

we have everyone taking pictures everynight we are open here.....cant fight society. although we dont allow flash.

Where did I dine?

We've got one Turkish guess and one Indian guess, both of which could be correct. This is extremely difficult because nothing looks very well-defined (except the white rice). Because of certain things I *think* I see (several olives in the dish, an onion strip, some sort of beans in the bowl; not dal (although it might be dal - it's hard to tell from this angle), a cheap slice of cucumber and carrot as decoration, possibly a thick, dark, tomato-based sauce, what might be thick-cut slabs of meat), I'll guess this is some type of mom 'n' pop Latin-American restaurant.

Himalayan Heritage

This is an interesting guess too. What does everyone think that big, bulky piece of protein is on the right of the plate? It could be overcooked salmon, it could be ham (although that would be weird), or it could be a boneless chicken breast which brings us into Chicken Cacciatore territory but then why would there be beans or dal sitting on the side?

Well, given the shape of the spoon and the number of tines on the fork, it's clearly Cafe Taj.

Those two side dishes really do scream Indian (or Nepalese), don't they. And that big, bulky piece of protein could be tandoori salmon.

I'm wondering why Jason guessed Kazan - do you know something we don't?

Brian, this picture is so (how do I say this politely in order to encourage higher-resolution shots in the future?) "impressionistic" :) that it's hard to tell if that's blue-gray industrial carpet or faux black granite.

Himalayan Heritage

ding ding ding! Both dishes are from the Chef's Recommendations-Nepalese Dishes section of the menu. The near one is Himalayn Karahi:

"Mixture of barbecue chicken and lamb cooked with tomatoes, capsicum and coriander leaves in medium spices with red wine tossed in an iron souk. Served with Basmati rice or naan."

The far dish is Aloo Tama Bodi:

Potatoes, bamboo shoot, black eyed beans cooked with mountain spices to its perfection.

Don, the topic of what constitues "dal" is almost as complicated as Thai noodles. I will leave it for an expert to explain.
fwiw, I am always discreet when photographing food (and I turn off the flash), which may explain why the pics aren't so great. I am not one of "those photographers". At least pray God I hope I'm not... In the future will try my best to take clear shots without annoying fellow diners.

(Can someone tell me how to upload pictures so I can play???)

I *think* you have 2 options. If you click on "more reply options" next to the post button, you'll get an option on the bottom left to attach a file. Just browse to the file location and attach it.

The alternative, which is much nicer in terms of other people viewing the thread (it will appear where you paste the link in your thread as a larger size image so we don't have to click on it to enlarge) is to upload your image to a photo website that will give you a URL to share (I use Photobucket, it's free). Then you can copy the link right into the post. 2 ways to do it - with photobucket and some other similar sites, you can use the image link, which will look like this:

[ IMG ] http:/blahblahlocationfilenameofuploadedimage.jpg [ IMG ] (without the spaces)

Or you can copy the link, which is the http:/blahblahlocationfilenameofuploadedimage.jpg portion and then click on the image box above yoru post (go right from the formatting options like bold, italic, etc. until you see that square box that looks a little like a fake picture :P). Click that box, then paste the URL.

I hope that makes sense. I'm sure Don's explanation will be better, but hoping that helps in the interim.

I *think* you have 2 options. If you click on "more reply options" next to the post button, you'll get an option on the bottom left to attach a file. Just browse to the file location and attach it.

The alternative, which is much nicer in terms of other people viewing the thread (it will appear where you paste the link in your thread as a larger size image so we don't have to click on it to enlarge) is to upload your image to a photo website that will give you a URL to share (I use Photobucket, it's free). Then you can copy the link right into the post. 2 ways to do it - with photobucket and some other similar sites, you can use the image link, which will look like this:

[ IMG ] http:/blahblahlocationfilenameofuploadedimage.jpg [ IMG ] (without the spaces)

Or you can copy the link, which is the http:/blahblahlocationfilenameofuploadedimage.jpg portion and then click on the image box above yoru post (go right from the formatting options like bold, italic, etc. until you see that square box that looks a little like a fake picture :P). Click that box, then paste the URL.

I hope that makes sense. I'm sure Don's explanation will be better, but hoping that helps in the interim.

Thanks, ChoirGirl21. In the meantime, I've added an "Uploading Pictures" section in the How To Write A Post entry. If it's not step-by-step, cookbook-level self-explanatory, then I've left something out, so someone please try and let me know.

And Don, please feel free to delete my post with instructions. You were faster than you said you'd be. And I *may* have had a drink already on an empty stomach. Just saying it's a possibility.

Your post with instructions shows how much you care about people here. I'd rather not delete it unless you really want me to.

Ebbit

Absolutely. (Ding! Ding! Ding!)

Kamil Kubik (who seems to be from the Thomas Kinkaide school which fits right in with Old Ebbitt Grill).

They make a big deal out of this painting on their menu, and the painting itself rests along the left wall when you first walk in - I didn't really take a close look at it (as my back was towards the wall), but it seems to be a triptych, or maybe something even more than that.

(B.A.R. - the only way someone will guess from a painting alone is with a further hint. I essentially gave mine away with the second post, but only to someone with a decent knowledge of the DC restaurant scene (hence, Craig Erion). Yours is seemingly Northern Indian, but unless someone knows precisely the origins of a blue North Indian deity (with an aura around his head? Could this be Vishnu?), they're very unlikely to get this without additional clues). None of us wants a giveaway, but we're going to need *some* hints unless someone directly recognizes this painting, or its symbolism (and that's assuming you're *really* being coy and are exceptionally knowledgable about the Bhagavad Gita).

I'd say Haandi (speakers on, get ready to do dramatic, neck-wiggling, chair dance), Falls Church, but it's not. And the reason it's not is because they have about eight of these pastel-colored paintings flanking their walls, but they're ensconced, and if I remember correctly, each of them has a rounded top that doesn't reach the ceiling (which yours does).

(B.A.R. - the only way someone will guess from a painting alone is with a further hint.......unless someone directly recognizes this painting

Isn't that the point? My hint is that you (DonRocks) should recognize it.

ETA - Actually, this is a good point. Posting a picture of just the decor (or an element of the decor) minimizes the culinary sleuth work and does turn into a guessing game. Although I am not the first to do this, I think that going forward it should be pictures of a dish, but not too tight of a shot that eliminates subtle, background hints.

Rather than delete my post above, I will give more hints: Rocks likes this place, in Virginia, Indian

BLB's is interesting. The carrots and potatoes are not cut with much precision, and the chick peas seem like an afterthought. You can see the oil glistening atop the demiglace, and the herbs (IT Parsley?) seem haphazardly draped across the meat. But the meat appears to be roasted beautifully. Thinking....thinking......

Rather than delete my post above, I will give more hints: Rocks likes this place, in Virginia, Indian

BLB's is interesting. The carrots and potatoes are not cut with much precision, and the chick peas seem like an afterthought. You can see the oil glistening atop the demiglace, and the herbs (IT Parsley?) seem haphazardly draped across the meat. But the meat appears to be roasted beautifully. Thinking....thinking......

Hell, no, don't delete it! "Virginia, Indian" is a obviously a big hint, so let's keep it going.

BLB's is, to me: braised (not roasted) pork shank, with autumn vegetables: carrots, pearl onions, hominy, squash (although it could be potato), and what appears to be cilantro which perhaps lends a Latino note. It's on a light-wood table without a tablecloth, spoon and ramekin of butter at the top, and an oily (perhaps from the meat's own juices) sauce (not gravy; sauce). This looks like a very "consistent" restaurant to me - one that puts out above-average dishes on a high-volume basis. The odd thing about this dish to me is that there's no visible starch, so I'm guessing this is only part of the whole.

I think it's too straight-forward for Oyamel, but could be Ceiba (Tunks is more direct than Andrés). I'm not spending a lot of time writing this (five minutes total), so it's time for someone else to chime in based on what I write here.

One thing people need to realize about me is that I'm not a savant; I'm a hard worker. I don't memorize carpeting, or artwork, or tablecloths (although this thread is forcing me to pay attention!) - I struggle immensely with posts such as these, and in case anyone is holding back waiting for "the master" to chime in, they'd be making a big mistake. I am no more qualified than anyone else to guess these photos, and that's why I love this thread so much - we're all on even ground here. Yeah, I have a ton of experience, and am good at what I do, but damn, this is so difficult for me, and this thread is where I want the community to come in as a whole and sort it all out - I can't do it on my own. I just can't.

This thread is a team effort, dear friends, and we've got to do it together, or it won't get done.

Isn't that the point? My hint is that you (DonRocks) should recognize it.

ETA - Actually, this is a good point. Posting a picture of just the decor (or an element of the decor) minimizes the culinary sleuth work and does turn into a guessing game. Although I am not the first to do this, I think that going forward it should be pictures of a dish, but not too tight of a shot that eliminates subtle, background hints.

I don't think posting decor shots is wrong; it's just harder to guess without additional clues. However, it's also somewhat educational - I suspect that everyone will notice that picture on the back of Old Ebbitt's menu from this point forward, and will also take a look to see it on the left wall also. They make a really big deal out of it - an entire page of the menu is devoted to an explanation of the artist, so it's an integral part of the restaurant. That said, I doubt anyone would have gotten it without the follow-up hint (would you have, Craig?)

"Rocks likes this Indian restaurant in Virginia" is a bad clue because I don't want to simply go through the dining guide and start flailing around with the Italic restaurants (so I won't). I would have considered Woodlands due to the dilapidated ceiling tiles, but a peek through the window in this picture doesn't show any artwork that reaches the ceiling. I do think detective work like this is fun (yeah, I'm an oddball), but a hint leading people to the fact that it's vegetarian, or Southern Indian might be even better (not sure if you could do that with this picture or not). Anyway, all this to say that decor shots are fine!

And now I have to figure out why I mistook a lamb shank for a pork shank. :(

BLB, how about a tiny clue - nothing major? I think the cilantro and hominy together are significant.

"Rocks likes this Indian restaurant in Virginia" is a bad clue...... I would have considered Woodlands due to the dilapidated ceiling tiles, but a peek through the window in this picture doesn't show any artwork that reaches the ceiling.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! It wasn't so much a piece of art as it was a poster, and pretty much the only aesthetic flourish in the whole joint. But I took that picture specifically for this thread; for this website.

I've lived in the vicinity of Woodlands for 10 years. The first 5, I never even considered stopping in there. Shitty strip mall, decrepit interior- no thanks. But then Don at some point wrote a post about the Special Ravi Masala Dosa he had at Woodlands, and how fabulous it was. So i gave it a shot, and have been there 30+ times since. (PS - there is no $10.95 better spent than their weekend lunch buffet). I love the Woodlands, and recommend it to all of my friends.

Thanks Don.