porcupine

Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Where did I see this wine list?  (This is secretly a ploy to get the oenophiles to provide feedback about the selection and pricing.)

image.png

2 hours ago, reedm said:

Where did I see this wine list?  (This is secretly a ploy to get the oenophiles to provide feedback about the selection and pricing.)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Chops Crafthouse in Fairfax.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Chops Crafthouse in Fairfax.

Please delete my post...

3 minutes ago, reedm said:

Please delete my post...

:lol:

That was a totally understandable mistake - I can give you some guidance about the wines if you'd like!

1 minute ago, DonRocks said:

:lol:

I can give you some guidance about the wines if you'd like!

Wanted to see people dogpile on the wine list. And go!

12 hours ago, reedm said:

Wanted to see people dogpile on the wine list. And go!

Some (most?) of these wines are sold by the "Gotham Project," which is an ambitious program to put wines in stainless steel tanks - they take fairly humble wines, and serve them on tap in large containers. This keeps the price down, eliminates corked bottles, and is a time-tested way to buy and dispense cheap wines in Europe, i.e., there's nothing wrong with it in theory - I've been to places in Europe where wines are sold in bulk out of barrels, and customers walk in with empty 1.5-liter water bottles, fill them, and pay ridiculously cheap prices for table wine. Often the wines are sold using generic names such as "Unoaked Chardonnay," "Oaked Chardonnay," "3-Year-Old Gigondas," etc. - this is a form of that, and the wines I've had using this method are simple, pleasant wines made to have with meals - I have no experience with these exact wines, but recognize them as being wines sold by the Gotham Project. If I were dining here, I'd use "variety" to drive my by-the-glass decision - if I wanted a Pinot Grigio, I'd get a Pinot Grigio, etc. If this project wants to succeed, they'll be selecting wines that are true to the grape varieties; not wines that someone would lay down big bucks for to age, and not even wines that care all that much about the nuances of terroir (that said, they *are* being sold with their place of origin listed).

For the producers, it's an *easy* way to sell *lots* of their wines without the hassle of the traditional bottling / distributor / wholesaler / retailer system.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Celebrity Deli?  The potatoes are interesting haven't seen those before.

I thought it was some sort of special order at Ray's The Steaks - a steak served with a quadruple helping of Tiger Butter.

Hahahhahahha I was going to guess the Lil Man's favorite spot that you lament.  I did a quick google for potato tot cubes in Arlington and looked at the images and it came up.  I was going to guess this earlier, but the steak doesn't look half bad for them, how were those tots? (I could name names but once you know the backstory you should be able to guess.)

10 hours ago, cocoagirl said:

teds bulletin

Yes.  The 9 year old loves it.  I'm over it but the lure of the Thursday night TV dinner special wins out once in a while.

The steak was fine.  The tater tots were okay and were an upcharge over the french fries.  

1 hour ago, bookluvingbabe said:

Yes.  The 9 year old loves it.  I'm over it but the lure of the Thursday night TV dinner special wins out once in a while.

The steak was fine.  The tater tots were okay and were an upcharge over the french fries.  

Are those tater tots homemade and sheet-baked? I can't tell if they're really good or really gross - what are the rice-looking things, and what makes them so brown?

44 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Are those tater tots homemade and sheet-baked? I can't tell if they're really good or really gross - what are the rice-looking things, and what makes them so brown?

I think those rice looking things are just minced potato.  Like pressed hash browns more than tater tots.  That said I have no idea where the picture was taken.

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I think they are homemade and I don't know if they are baked or fried.  I think they "rice" the potatoes to make them and they lean closer to good than gross.  I should have subbed a green veggie of some sort but BL-4th grader had promised me the Brussel sprouts from his TV dinner (which were underdone and inedible) so I went with comfort food instead.  

If anyone is keeping track, the Downtown Crown area has 3 edible choices in my opinion. Chop't, Coastal Flats and Ted's Montana Grill.  The 9 year old would add La Madeline, Ted's Bulletin and Pour House.  

only been to Teds once- but one of my party got the tater tots- so I guess they were memorable to me although I did not have one- I guessed that you up charged them