Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Still on burger (the only active contest right now I think?):

8407 Kitchen Bar and Eat Bar are very good guesses. Better than the initial guesses before the wave of hints. And, kudos especially to Josh Radigan, first to comment on the bun. While not brioche, you're on the right path there that it is a non-standard bun like most everything on the plate.

Sorry, no on 8407 and Eat Bar. Lots of clues above now on this. Surely someone will get this. They should. It's not patently obvious but nor is it absurdly obscure. Important balance for WDID, no?

The bar at Bourbon Steak?

The bar at Bourbon Steak?

I think I already ruled that out yesterday (plus they serve their fries in a triad).

As long as we're in sandwich mode, where did I dine? (In general, I think it's cruel, and nearly impossible, to post a picture of a sandwich and expect people to guess unless there's something distinctive about it - this one, there is). The half-sandwich was ordered off-menu, as an afterthought; I just wanted some chili, but thought to myself, well, why not (and ended up taking half the (beanless) chili home). The pickle spear is available on request only (that's a small hint because there's a sign up saying just that).

post-2-0-71197700-1359582524_thumb.jpg

Don's picture is Earl's.

I almost took a photo of the baseball card wall decorations last week to play, but didn't know if restrooms would take this game down a bad path.

Yes, this was the newer one in Ballston which I prefer - it's larger, and has a better selection. I figured someone would get this fairly quickly (although I'm impressed at *how* quickly you pegged it).

I couldn't resist ordering their freshly roasted turkey (that was the distinctive factor), with cheddar on sourdough, and no condiments - I love Earl's. If you've never been, this sandwich isn't really representative because I made it simple and plain on purpose.

On Don's picture of Earl's -- the chili being served in a clear plastic container was also a clue.

Darkstar965: I've been trying to think about what restaurant would fit your clues. Is it time for another hint? Like narrowing it down to either VA, MD, or DC?

(by the way I've tried to take pictures of my food a couple of times to post here but they haven't been clear enough. I'm going to keep trying.)

Still on burger (the only active contest right now I think?):

8407 Kitchen Bar and Eat Bar are very good guesses. Better than the initial guesses before the wave of hints. And, kudos especially to Josh Radigan, first to comment on the bun. While not brioche, you're on the right path there that it is a non-standard bun like most everything on the plate.

Sorry, no on 8407 and Eat Bar. Lots of clues above now on this. Surely someone will get this. They should. It's not patently obvious but nor is it absurdly obscure. Important balance for WDID, no?

DC9?

...(In general, I think it's cruel, and nearly impossible, to post a picture of a sandwich and expect people to guess unless there's something distinctive about it - this one, there is).

Cruel? Impossible? Hmmm. I've been approaching this as the best clues aren't slam dunks but aren't impossible. This community knows restaurants too well. There should be some challenge, shouldn't there? And thought that what I posted was somewhat distinctive given the clues already provided? That combination of elements on a burger and fry plate is not common. Duck fat fries alone narrow the field significantly. Add housemade pickels and aioli...

...Darkstar965: I've been trying to think about what restaurant would fit your clues. Is it time for another hint? Like narrowing it down to either VA, MD, or DC?

Absolutely cheezepowder. I have a few more hints I'll share now. Next post to follow.

Burger Hints 3.0

Okay-really thought by now someone would have had this. Someone like Rocks maybe. :) Five pretty-much final hints (simply because not much else left to say short of the location/answer) which should seal the deal for someone. Apologies in advance that the final hint below is one Don won't love but may help others:

- First, and with regret (know how I felt just before someone else guessed Ashby Inn!), nix on Urbanna, Cedar, Lyon Hall and DC9 though all reasonable guesses. It isn't fine dining in any way but nor is it in the mass of Don's "500 taverns" given what's already been described about the dish. This Maryland venue is more similar to a tavern/pub than to a Blue Duck or Bourbon. The food is pretty clearly better than most any typical tavern but not top tier; not worth travelling to but worth stopping at, etc.

- Josh Radigan, my use of the term "sea legs" above wasn't intentional. Attach no significance to that else it'll really steer you off track.

- It is all in a name. I've always been interested in names whether people, pets or businesses. I always ask about them. For restaurants, most all names could be termed literal ("Restaurant X" or '24th St Cafe'), informative (R24, Palena and Freddy's Lobster & Clam all examples of places whose names tell a story about why and what's inside) and abstract (hotel restaurants or celebrity chefs will use names like these sometimes). The burger place's name is informative in a way that is descriptive. So, unlike Palena (where you have to know that Chef Ruta named it for his mother's hometown in Italy), this place's name is useful. It informs aptly what they do or what they aspire to do different from others.

- Josh Radigan was good to focus a bit on the bun but wrong in the guess that it was brioche. It's actually the same as the roll no other than Jamie Stachowski uses for his Hot Italian Sausage sandwich, an excellent one that hasn't gotten as much attention here on dr.com as, say, his pastrami or braunschweiger.

- Big hint here. I purposefully didn't include a shot of the accompanying beverages in the photo. The place has one of the most extensive and varied beer programs in the area. More than 200 brews with another 15-20 on tap that regularly change. That's much bigger than most pubs and taverns I know.

- Finally, and this is the hint Rocks won't like. Despite his initial reaction to the plate ('wouldn't eat this if given [him] for free'!!), Rocks actually has reviewed this place positively, commenting on one of the elements in the picture specifically (though with bad guidance imho ;) ). In doing so, he was at odds with TS, who was virtually the only critic, blogger, online community or publication of note to ding it. All other sites--tripadvisor, chowhound, opentable, patch, lots of blogs--lean very positive.

That has to do it, right?

"One thing to keep in mind about Victoria Gastro Pub is that it's got a lot of very fat-laden, 'guy food,' but what I had and what I saw was executed quite well within this genre. Maintained as a strong Very Good and Noteworthy for it’s beers, the beverage list itself which is quite an impressive document, and the clubby bar area which is full of dark wood and yet manages to be cheery at the same time [none of which were shown in your photo!]"

Cheers,

Kreskin.

Damn, darkstar, I love your enthusiasm, but this was damn nigh impossible! :wacko::blink::P

And shame on our 5 members from Howard County! :lol:

Rest assured, I'll never forget this burger again.

"One thing to keep in mind about Victoria Gastro Pub is that it's got a lot of very fat-laden, 'guy food,' but what I had and what I saw was executed quite well within this genre. Maintained as a strong Very Good and Noteworthy for it’s beers, the beverage list itself which is quite an impressive document, and the clubby bar area which is full of dark wood and yet manages to be cheery at the same time [none of which were shown in your photo!]"

Cheers,

Kreskin.

Damn, darkstar, I love your enthusiasm, but this was damn nigh impossible! :wacko::blink::P

And shame on our 5 members from Howard County! :lol:

Rest assured, I'll never forget this burger again.

We have a winner. I debated whether to include "Maryland" in the latest hint round, being pretty sure that would clinch it for Rocks.

A friend up Columbia way chose the place. I researched it here first and, based on the topic, didn't balk. Though Rocks suggested in his review avoiding the duck fat fries (with $2 upcharge), I hadn't seen the review prior, ordered them and quite enjoyed them. Likewise the burger, which while not the equal of Ray's, Palena, Saint Ex, Dino, is a definitely-better-than-average burger. It's an interesting place not worth a long drive imho but worth stopping at if close by...or if you're a beer maven.

We have a winner. I debated whether to include "Maryland" in the latest hint round, being pretty sure that would clinch it for Rocks.

A friend up Columbia way chose the place. I researched it here first and, based on the topic, didn't balk. Though Rocks suggested in his review avoiding the duck fat fries (with $2 upcharge), I hadn't seen the review prior, ordered them and quite enjoyed them. Likewise the burger, which while not the equal of Ray's, Palena, Saint Ex, Dino, is a definitely-better-than-average burger. It's an interesting place not worth a long drive imho but worth stopping at if close by...or if you're a beer maven.

Maryland plus beer selection clinched it. If you wait for the slideshow on their website, a photo of that burger will appear, and it looks almost exactly the same.

This was sadistic.

But was it unfair or not in the spirit of the thread? My next one will go back upscale...maybe ;)

Was it unfair? Yes, but was it within the spirit of the thread? Also yes. Heck, we call ourselves experts - let's test ourselves *and* learn something. When you write something this impossible, stay on it several times a day, and don't be afraid to start giving hints right off the bat.

Nobody cares, one way or the other, about upscale; this was truly difficult.

Why?

I've had that burger a handful of times or seen it ordered, although I haven't been/seen that burger recently. I guess most everything seemed very district-oriented so it didn't really occur to me that it would be from the northern reaches this board covers. I'm not too familiar with the DC dining scene so I mostly use this board for information so I can be more informative on the few occasions I'm down that way and try to contribute in the Baltimore forum more (although dining experiences have been lacking lately for mostly personal reasons).

But moreover, when I read this clue posted before I got to your answer:

"- It is all in a name. I've always been interested in names whether people, pets or businesses. I always ask about them. For restaurants, most all names could be termed literal ("Restaurant X" or '24th St Cafe'), informative (R24, Palena and Freddy's Lobster & Clam all examples of places whose names tell a story about why and what's inside) and abstract (hotel restaurants or celebrity chefs will use names like these sometimes). The burger place's name is informative in a way that is descriptive. So, unlike Palena (where you have to know that Chef Ruta named it for his mother's hometown in Italy), this place's name is useful. It informs aptly what they do or what they aspire to do different from others."

The exact thing that popped into my head was "ok, I'm guessing something like Victoria's Gastropub" but it never occurred to me that would be the answer. I basically did a facepalm to myself when I saw the answer.

The exact thing that popped into my head was "ok, I'm guessing something like Victoria's Gastropub" but it never occurred to me that would be the answer. I basically did a facepalm to myself when I saw the answer.

Duh-oh! That's a bummer. I know I tend to focus most of my restaurant posts in the District. Also the closer-in MD and VA suburbs. But I've always been very conscious here of doing whatever possible to get more people engaged in the website simply because it's more fun and vibrant that way. I don't really know Columbia at all but when I knew I had that lunch scheduled, I resolve a week or two in advance that I'd photograph a dish there for this thread. I'm guessing many of the DC denizens on this site have no clue about Victoria. But that's why someone like you coulda, shoulda won it. I knew once I mentioned beer and MD and tied it to Don's review like I did, he'd get it but, since his review was less than a year ago, i was trying to give others as much of a chance as possible before the inevitable happened. No worries--I felt exactly the same when I didn't get Ashby Inn upthread.

Grapefruit or blood orange?

Cheese looks something like Humboldt Fog, but maybe not quite

Red onion?

Greens look very fresh, but overdressed, but could be the lighting

Salad looks more sophisticated than the rustic plating and background

Re: Porcupine's citrus/cheese/other stuff salad.

I think the citrus is blood orange and the cheese strikes me more as fresh feta. Also looks like there's something I might describe as beet jus beneath the greens.

The ceramic serving dish (like Porcupine's last post from Ashby) is almost distracting. It it some kind of pizza tray - like vessel? I see something that might be a platter handle off to the left but not sure. And, dang it, another wood table. Is it another 'sophisticated fare/rustic venue' spot?!?! :angry:

I'll answer yes to your first question, and call "foul" on your barrage of guesses. :) One guess only for this one. Hint: the picture was taken from where we were dining.

OK--fair enough. I'll go with Eve because the kitchen looks more 'tenured' than the new shiny stuff at Society Fair and I'm not sure he's in the kitchen very much at all (if ever) at Majestic. Society Fair does, of course, have the demo kitchen but this photo ain't that. If right on Eve, it could be either dinner or my candidate for 'best value for lunch in the area bar none:" Lickety Split. Eve doesn't have an in-kitchen chef's table of which I'm aware but there is a large window through which a shot like this could easily be taken. Less clear it could be taken from a table but also not clear that's what Rocks meant with his hint.

And, btw, the "barrage" is the sign of an active thread participant who's still sporting a zero in his win column. :angry:

OK--fair enough. I'll go with Eve because the kitchen looks more 'tenured' than the new shiny stuff at Society Fair and I'm not sure he's in the kitchen very much at all (if ever) at Majestic. If right, could be either dinner or my candidate for 'best value for lunch in the area bar none:" Lickety Split

And, btw, the "barrage" is the sign of an active thread participant who's still sporting a zero in his win column. :angry:

And I am deeply, deeply sorry that you're still sporting a zero - there is no kitchen seating at Eve. :P

Another hint: it was Thursday night, and we just walked in and sat there, with no reservation, just like anyone else could have.

Then has to be Virtue but that kitchen seems newer than this photo too.

If not Virtue then must be a spot not part of the EatGoodFood empire.

Not Virtue.

Okay, a hint: If you show up here next Thursday at 5:30 (rest assured, after this, there will be no more vacancies at 7:30 PM like there were last night), you can have this exact same three-course meal for $45.

Hmmm. This has to be a non EGFG property. Majestic is the only one that you haven't ruled out definitively. And they do have a table that affords a direct view into the kitchen.

Problem with that is that, according to their website, a current special menu is $35 and not $45. And, I didn't think Chef Armstrong ever cooks there since Shannon Overmiller presides there. Finally, no guarantee one can walk in and get a table w/o a reservation there though often that is true.

Think we're going to need a hint about the venue assuming it's not one they own.

Grapefruit or blood orange?

Cheese looks something like Humboldt Fog, but maybe not quite

Red onion?

Greens look very fresh, but overdressed, but could be the lighting

Salad looks more sophisticated than the rustic plating and background

Mintwood or Cedar?

nope.

looks like grapefruit, radish, pickled red onions, and queso fresco, so i'm thinking something with a latin flair.

ETA: Oyamel?

nope.

Re: Porcupine's citrus/cheese/other stuff salad.

I think the citrus is blood orange and the cheese strikes me more as fresh feta. Also looks like there's something I might describe as beet jus beneath the greens.

The ceramic serving dish (like Porcupine's last post from Ashby) is almost distracting. It it some kind of pizza tray - like vessel? I see something that might be a platter handle off to the left but not sure. And, dang it, another wood table. Is it another 'sophisticated fare/rustic venue' spot?!?! :angry:

The picture shows blood orange, but there was also grapefruit; yes to radish; not sure if the onions were pickled or just colored by the blood orange juice; I would say the greens were well-dressed but not overdressed; the cheese is La Tur*; definitely not a rustic venue (hint: we were sitting in the bar area), but the cuisine is often sophisticated; the salad was in a bowl atop a small plate.

*La Tur, the god-emperor of cheeses

eta darkstar, come to think of it, sophisticated food in laid-back (not always rustic) settings is generally the way I like to dine.

nope.

nope.

The picture shows blood orange, but there was also grapefruit; yes to radish; not sure if the onions were pickled or just colored by the blood orange juice; I would say the greens were well-dressed but not overdressed; the cheese is La Tur*; definitely not a rustic venue (hint: we were sitting in the bar area), but the cuisine is often sophisticated; the salad was in a bowl atop a small plate.

*La Tur, the god-emperor of cheeses

eta darkstar, come to think of it, sophisticated food in laid-back (not always rustic) settings is generally the way I like to dine.

Re: "sophisticated food in laid-back settings". Yep, me too. The higher the quality-to-pretentiousness ratio (in other words, lots of the former with as little of the latter as possible), the better.

Back to the photo and clues, seems like this could really be any fine® dining spot at this point except latin ones. Not wanting to guess randomly, will hold off a bit.

Rocks dined at Society Fair at the bar for the demo kitchen. I recognized those shelves; they got them from the old Pullman cars on passenger trains, if I remember correctly

Yes. :)

Every Thursday night (for the time being, anyway), Cathal is cooking "French Steak Night" - three courses for $45. I went to say my final DC goodbye to John Wabeck.

Rich Boone can fill you in with more details, but we got nothing different than anyone else did (with a possible exception of our "dessert" course). We ate *really* well, and so did everyone who was in there.

All I can say is: after this little bit of PR, you'd better get there at 5:30 on the dot if not before. This is not an ad; it's a fact. You've got Cathal Armstrong hand-making the Caesar salad, cast-iron grilling the steaks, and pot-cooking the sauces to order, six feet in front of you, if you're able to nab a seat at the bar. For forty-five bucks.

If you want some ordering advice (there isn't much to give), get the ribeye or the strip, not the filet mignon. I feel confident that Rich will recommend the Bordelaise sauce, though there are a couple of others, too - we were both seduced by the aroma wafting out of the copper pot, and we weren't playing "share our sauces" on this evening. It was meat. Meat for men. Meat, meat, meat, and iffa you wanta my sauce-a, I breaka you face-a. (We both got Bordelaise, and my only personal regret is that I didn't ask for a little more. Man, with a small crispy bite of potatoes, a tiny bite of this steak in sauce was just death-row.)

Re: Rocks. Hmmm. Society Fair was one in my initial 3-guess "barrage" but then I dismissed it. Very bad on my part. I organized two dinners at that demo kitchen just last year and have eaten at the bar a couple of times besides; in total have stared at that kitchen maybe 7-10 hours in the past year. But something about the photo threw me off and I didn't recognize the kitchen as SF. C'est la vie. Onward and upward.

Jim Rice: Looks like it could be a gumbo or jambalaya/creole-ish type dish with the tomato and some possible shellfish? But also clear there are non creole-ish chunks of beef in the broth. The white tile implies a less expensive place. Basic white rice. The stew itself might look Ethiopian were it not for the rice. Am I on the right track with the southern creole thinking? A spot like Georgia Brown's or Acadiana?

Next: [porcupine's salad with La Tur, blood orange, radish, greens, grapefruit, onions]

I spent a good 30 minutes scouring potential DC restaurants (didn't get to MD or VA) that could be likely candidates for porcupine's salad (and I still think that striated light-wood/dark-wood table is our biggest clue - what is that pole, porcupine?). And then, just before giving up for the night, I remembered a recent headline which lit up Wall Street. So I figured, well ... why not?

News Flash!

OpenTable To Acquire Foodspotting for $10 Million

Here's what you get when you enter "Blood Orange" in the Arlington, VA area:

http://www.foodspotting.com/find/best/blood-orange/in/Arlington-VA-USA

Go ahead. Have a look. While you're at it, notice the westernmost entry.

OpenTable paid $10 million for this shit.

A single programmer, along with two data-entry typists, with my guidance, could program Foodspotting for the entire DC region - and actually make it work, i.e., find porcupine's salad - in two years, working 40 hours a week. It would take a full-time data-entry typist to keep it up to date after that.

In the meantime, OpenTable paid $10 million for locating San Pellegrino Blood Orange Soda at B.J.'s Wholesale Club.

God damn it I'm going to die poor. GOD DAMN IT.

Answer me this, porcupine, out of respect for the thirty minutes I spent looking:

1) Is it an Italian restaurant?

2) Is it in DC?

I spent a good 30 minutes scouring potential DC restaurants (didn't get to MD or VA) that could be likely candidates for porcupine's salad (and I still think that striated light-wood/dark-wood table is our biggest clue - what is that pole, porcupine?). And then, just before giving up for the night, I remembered a recent headline which lit up Wall Street. So I figured, well ... why not?

News Flash!

OpenTable To Acquire Foodspotting for $10 Million

Here's what you get when you enter "Blood Orange" in the Arlington, VA area:

http://www.foodspotting.com/find/best/blood-orange/in/Arlington-VA-USA

Go ahead. Have a look. While you're at it, notice the westernmost entry.

OpenTable paid $10 million for this shit.

A single programmer, with my guidance, could program foodspotter for the entire DC region - and actually make it work, i.e., find porcupine's salad - in two years, working 40 hours a week.

In the meantime, OpenTable paid $10 million for locating San Pellegrino Blood Orange Soda at B.J.'s Wholesale Club.

God damn it I'm going to die poor. GOD DAMN IT.

Answer me this, porcupine, out of respect for the thirty minutes I spent looking:

1) Is it an Italian restaurant?

2) Is it in DC?

Check the Clyde's photo on that same foodspotting page. It's not a dupe but there is resemblance. Of course, can be pretty safe assuming Porcupine isn't posting photos from Clyde's.

That's a Persian Koresh. I spy dried lime.

You know what? This is an enlightened guess (a koresh is just another name for "stew"). I'm not sure it's correct, but I'm not ruling it out - what is that orb under the bay leaf?

If it's a Persian stew, where are we going with this? I recognize nothing - neither the stew, nor the white tiles, and I'm confused by the absence of bread, yogurt, or jalapeño sauce (although they could have been simply left out). And I eat a fair amount of Persian stews (koreshes? koreshi?) in the area because they can be quite healthy and nutritious.

If I'm forced to the middle east, I'm going to Lebanon with this, and quite honestly, I'm not sure why. Where do you spy the dry lime, and why do you think it's Persian?

Well played, susan. Right or wrong, it's well played. Jim, can you steer us?

You know, this could also be eastern European. If this is American (i.e., New Orleans) cooking, I'm going to be surprised and very humbled, but that is a weakness of mine, so I have a lot to learn.