Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Well, I'll stay away from speculating on age :D but the chef has been in DC restaurants for quite a while. It's like Green Pig in that it's a chef-owned restaurant.

Another hint-- I mentioned this is not a Latin American restaurant. You'll be thrown off if you put much weight on the Latin American nature of the dish when thinking of chefs.

Edited to add this clarification - I said those were the elements or close. In case it matters, that's not a polenta cake but something similar.

How did you possibly guess this?

It was a little more than a guess! ;)

Does to me. There are some places I'll get veggies and some I won't.

This tells me Thematt is discerning and his profile says he lives in Alexandria. Enat is one of the better/best Ethiopian restaurants in NOVA and happens to be in western Alexandria. And looking at the first photo on Yelp, I see that the tiles and table match TheMatt's photo. :rolleyes:

It was a little more than a guess! ;)

This tells me Thematt is discerning and his profile says he lives in Alexandria. Enat is one of the better/best Ethiopian restaurants in NOVA and happens to be in western Alexandria. And looking at the first photo on Yelp, I see that the tiles and table match TheMatt's photo. :rolleyes:

Hey, you followed the rules of the game and successfully guessed it. I say: great job, and between the two of you, I learned a lot.

And now for something completely different (and easy, just for Monday morning):

Apparently, this isn't as easy as you thought! Almost 12 hours and no one's made a guess. I've tried! I've checked every place I thought it could be and none of them use that segmented paper plate or the opaque black containers for the sauces -- everyone I've seen uses transparent cups for the sauces.

It may be time for a hint.

I like stevep's guess of Panas for cheezepowder's empanadas because of the type of tray, and also the lettering that's on the left of them (take a close look - it's similar to the identifying marks that Pure Pasty Company has on their pasties). However, cheezepowder's front empanada appears to have dimples (or fork marks), and the other photos I've seen do not - this may be inflicted by cheezepowder herself in order to cool off the center, so we'll have to wait and see.

Not pork but it is fried.

I'm Japanese here more than anything else, but I think it's "tonkatsu with beef" or Gyū Katsu, and I think it's at a simple cafe (due to the exceedingly basic presentation). Is this correct?

My "hedge" thought was Vietnamese, but I think it would more likely be grilled. I would guess something along the lines of Temari Japanese Cafe (but I'm not because I don't think they use those plates), so no guess here - just seeking clarification.

Yes, Japanese. Yes, simple cafe (always crowded when I've gone). So simple that I don't think they have a website.

Not pictured (and already eaten at this point) was sushi rolls of avocado, yellowfin, salmon, and California.

Can I infer that this means "No, beef?"

The maki hint doesn't help! This is going to be very difficult to guess.

Is it Yoyogi Sushi?

Yes!

Crispy Beef Teriyaki from the lunch specials.

It's funny because I have never been when it was less than 3/4 full. It is our go to sushi spot and yet I've never gotten around to posting about it. There is another more traditional sushi place on Center Way Place but it is more expensive. And it always seems empty so I'm dubious.

My young dining companion did not want sushi from Yoyogi that day but from Whole Foods. I promised him if he didn't like Yoyogi, we would go to WF.

2 minutes after we were served he was done and announced he loved it. And then he started eyeing mine. He tried California Rolls (loved) and yellowtail (not so much love but he swallowed it) while waiting for the beef to come out.

Elephant and Castle, Viva Barcelona

Interesting guess (and I'm wondering why), but it's a long way from Elephant and Castle (both in terms of geography, and type of restaurant).

It's a Latino restaurant in Fairfax County - the large Barcelona flag hits you right when you walk in the door (there's also a Real Madrid flag on the other side of the bar, so no favoritism here).

This is somewhat unfair for this game because it's essentially impossible unless you've been in. I just thought the banner was cool.

If it helps, I had Huevos Rancheros, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever been here. My advice is not to stress about this one - unless someone recognizes the flag, I'll have to give some pretty specific hints. I've looked online, and there isn't much.

E&C is apparently the official FC Barcelona bar on DC, or so Google would have me believe.

Yeah, your guess was more intelligent than my clue. Probably shouldn't do such unrepresentative things although now I suspect people will recognize it if they ever walk into this Salvadoran-Mexican restaurant that I decided to go to instead of Tippy's Taco House.

Yeah, your guess was more intelligent than my clue. Probably shouldn't do such unrepresentative things although now I suspect people will recognize it if they ever walk into this Salvadoran-Mexican restaurant that I decided to go to instead of Tippy's Taco House.

I suppose you could say it's something of a hut, or perhaps a shack.

Tippy's in Fairfax closed a few weeks ago. I am *almost* positive I have eaten in this place before. The name escapes me, because it was relatively unmemorable.