Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Bingo! Trummer's it was. I thought the hushpuppies were a bit unusual for them, and would make it harder to guess..

Awesome.

And our plates are now cleared. I like the mix we have; La Choza taught me not to publish photos so arcane that guessing is not possible without essentially giving away the restaurant with extensive hints (and if you *are* going to do one, be prepared to be very generous and timely in doling out the hints - La Choza turned into a spy novel).

Bistro Bis

[bTW, I've always wanted to try the steak tartare there...how was it?]

Wow, that was quick! The steak tartare was, um, acceptable. I found the flavors rather strong; I prefer subtle to a gut-punch when it comes to this dish, but ymmv. Granted it was 1:15 during Restaurant Week, but I was a bit put off when the waiter said that they couldn't leave the onion out of it, because "it's already mixed in", the implication being that the steak tartare was made in advance. Which made me wonder, how do restaurants prepare steak tartare? Is it usually made in advance, or is it usually made to order?

Wow, that was quick!

Well, the pic below is the view from my office, so you can imagine how many times I've eaten there.

FWIW, i've never had steak tartare before, i'm just assuming I'd like it, and figured that a restaurant like Bistro Bis, which does classic French cooking very well (imho) would be a good place to start...

post-857-0-03185400-1360333752_thumb.jpg

How were the sides? I've never seen tartare served with a side of pasta and chips.

I've had steak tartare served with fried potatoes in various forms at several places, including Central and Mintwood Place. These were garlic potato chips and a quite nice companion to the steak. The stuff on the side was not pasta but some sort of slaw; I'm sorry but I have no idea what comprised it, but it was mildly tangy and also a nice companion dish.

Well, the pic below is the view from my office, so you can imagine how many times I've eaten there.

FWIW, i've never had steak tartare before, i'm just assuming I'd like it, and figured that a restaurant like Bistro Bis, which does classic French cooking very well (imho) would be a good place to start...

I think this was a good, solid rendition in the classic style. The fact that I described it as a "gut-punch" says more about my palate than the dish. Try it. Then go to Fiola and try it there and let us know what you think.

Where did I dine? Hint: it's in DC.

That's a Joyce Chen cutting board.

The food has a Spanish/Latino influence, and this could be a small-plates restaurant (or not).

Both dishes are very busy, but were probably also very tasty.

Is this a Spanish or Latino restaurant?

Do they specialize in small plates, or are these just two appetizers?

What meal of the day was this?

darkstar965 gets this one, it's Boqueria. The first picture is bread with caramelized onions, tomato, tetilla cheese, and I think Pedro Ximenez reduction on top. This is off their specials menu. A little sweet, but I liked it. I especially liked the cheese.

The second picture is the lamb skewers off their standard menu. The skewers are served on toasted bread with salsa verde and pickled shallots. The bread has too much oil on it, but this is one of my favorites here. I've gotten it multiple times.

That's correct, DGS Delicatessen.

I had (and enjoyed) the shakshouka which was tomato, pepper, and onion stew with 2 soft runny eggs and sour cream on top. The stew comes with grilled bread (not included in my picture), but I also ordered the Montreal bagel to see what that was like. The lack of salt in the bagel was really noticeable, and I found the bagel bland. (I've decided I prefer NY style bagels.). The bagel came with a side of cream cheese (also not included in my picture).

...but I also ordered the Montreal bagel to see what that was like. The lack of salt in the bagel was really noticeable, and I found the bagel bland. (I've decided I prefer NY style bagels.)...

Yay, cheezepowder! Another "real" (er, NY) bagel convert! * :D

* lest any Montreal bagel fans be put off by my unabashed enthusiasm for NY (or water) bagels, please know that, of course, I believe that everyone has every right to favor whatever bagel they like and, further, that there is of course no absolute 'right answer.' The Montreal/NY "rivalry" is long-standing and just fun. One of the many reasons anyone with any opinion (or looking to form one) should put their pencils where their mouths are and throw hats in the ring for the mother of all bagel-off contests!

Apparently I only take pictures of dessert.

I had this during Restaurant Week a year and a half ago, but it's not currently on the RW prix fixe menu for at least two reasons (clues):

-seasonality

-new pastry chef, among other changes

This is another difficult one.

Is this an eggy bread pudding with homemade vanilla ice cream, apricot <something>, walnuts, and a vanilla bean infused sauce?

It would make more culinary sense for those to be macerated slices of apricots rather than apricot ice cream. Which is it?

(I know this could also be peach or nectarine, but my first reaction was apricot, so I'm going with that.)

where did I have dessert?

Macerated kumquat?

Simple syrup, possibly flavored?

Homemade ice cream (crème fraîche or sour cream might be kind of nice here)?

Dollops of meringue?

The things on the left look like kumquat escargots because of the dollop shadows.

PS - I had 31 pounds of laundry (does anyone read any other forums?) :)

Where did I dine?

attachicon.gifIMG_0486.jpg

You know, if I wanted to make a lame attempt at humor and tease you a bit, I might say things like:

- the picture is blurry!! :o

- it just looks like a big pile of starch with some mystery sauce!!! :wacko:

- I'd never eat something like that...even if they paid me (a lot) to do it! <_<

- it could be any of 4,500 asian diner-like places around town so I'm not going to even try to interpret clues and guess. :angry:

- your freakin' laundry hint doesn't make any freakin' sense!!! What the heck has laundry got to do with a blurry plate 'o starch? :angry:

- other than being sure that dish has some rambutan and shredded jackalope in it, everything else is utterly non-distinctive...harrumph! :blink:

- don't be afraid to give lots and lots of hints, even including a photo of the main outdoor sign of the place with the name in sharp focus :)

- it's impossible! :huh:

But I won't do that since online is an imperfect medium to convey tone and facial expression so you might not realize I was kidding. :D :D :D

PS - I had 31 pounds of laundry (does anyone read any other forums?) :)

I get Don's laundry hint -- he posted here about how he solved his laundry issues. :P Looks like a Latin American dish with a ramekin of salsa and a tortilla. And the blue menu with pictures is a hint. But I don't know which Latin American restaurant near Arlington Laundrymat has that menu.

You know, if I wanted to make a lame attempt at humor and tease you a bit, I might say things like:

- the picture is blurry!! :o

- it just looks like a big pile of starch with some mystery sauce!!! :wacko:

- I'd never eat something like that...even if they paid me (a lot) to do it! <_<

- it could be any of 4,500 asian diner-like places around town so I'm not going to even try to interpret clues and guess. :angry:

- your freakin' laundry hint doesn't make any freakin' sense!!! What the heck has laundry got to do with a blurry plate 'o starch? :angry:

- other than being sure that dish has some rambutan and shredded jackalope in it, everything else is utterly non-distinctive...harrumph! :blink:

- don't be afraid to give lots and lots of hints, even including a photo of the main outdoor sign of the place with the name in sharp focus :)

- it's impossible! :huh:

But I won't do that since online is an imperfect medium to convey tone and facial expression so you might not realize I was kidding. :D :D :D

Someone PMd me the answer this afternoon! She needs to post it; otherwise, things will be impure.

It's pescado frito (that's cabbage, not noodles, the round things are garbanzo beans, that "thing" peeking out from the bottom is a piece of fish, the bowl on the left is refried beans).

And Mi Pueblo closed in 2012!

I get Don's laundry hint -- he posted here about how he solved his laundry issues. :P Looks like a Latin American dish with a ramekin of salsa and a tortilla. And the blue menu with pictures is a hint. But I don't know which Latin American restaurant near Arlington Laundrymat has that menu.

Someone PMd me the answer this afternoon!

Where's a "shaking head slowly from side to side with a broad smile" emoticon when you need one?

Macerated kumquat?

Simple syrup, possibly flavored?

Homemade ice cream (crème fraîche or sour cream might be kind of nice here)?

Dollops of meringue?

The things on the left look like kumquat escargots because of the dollop shadows.

I don't think so.

I think so.

Yes.

Yes.

Palena

Correct! This was the Meyer lemon posset.

Someone PMd me the answer this afternoon! She needs to post it; otherwise, things will be impure.

It's pescado frito (that's cabbage, not noodles, the round things are garbanzo beans, that "thing" peeking out from the bottom is a piece of fish, the bowl on the left is refried beans).

And Mi Pueblo closed in 2012!

My guess was Dona Azucena or Dona Bessy - they are next to each other (and the laundrymat) and I think owned by the same people. Between the two I'll guess Don went to the new Dona Bessy. I still haven't been, how is it?

My guess was Dona Azucena or Dona Bessy - they are next to each other (and the laundrymat) and I think owned by the same people. Between the two I'll guess Don went to the new Dona Bessy. I still haven't been, how is it?

That's right - it was Pupseria Doña Bessy which opened in the old Mi Pueblo space in November, and is in the same shopping center as Arlington Laundrymat. According to their carryout menu, this is a chain that also has branches in Gaithersburg and Springfield. Pupuseria Doña Azucena also has more than one location - I didn't realize they might be owned by the same people. I can't vouch for the general quality, but my lunch special was only $9, and it was a good blue-plate special (not exactly the most expensive fish in the sea, but for that price, for all that food, you don't complain).

Now, as for the other one, yes, the picture is out of focus, but you either know this dish or you don't. And if you do, you shouldn't have much problem figuring out where it is. It is absolutely a classic presentation, and I'll bet less than three places in town serve it.