Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Boundary road

It was just a matter of whether you or DaRiv18 signed in first this evening. :)

Well done, sir - the diagonal light fixture is unique.

You know, it's wonderful having a website with a critical mass of membership large and diverse enough where I *knew* that this would be guessed within an hour or two, without any hints. I had no doubt.

(And yes, it's in Italic now as you and David have pushed for (don't think for a second that I don't read everything you write, and take it all to heart), but I can't get onboard the "Best Of" train. If anything, I now think I need to reevaluate Liberty Tree for possible downgrade. Boy oh boy do I wish someone else in the world agreed with me about Ethiopic (aka Bangkok 54, Part Two)).

[Please, everyone, keep the criticisms about the Dining Guide placements coming, as aggressively as you wish. I can tolerate the heat, and I promise you I'll take another look at things, and explain my subsequent rankings. I realize I haven't explained this one yet, but I'll post something in the Boundary Road thread justifying the upgrade, and also justifying its measured nature. I cannot tell you how much our members influence me, and I don't consider that a weakness in the least; I consider it a strength, and I'm proud to be affiliated with such an outstanding group of experts.]

Bucatini with clams, yes, and fairly non-descript, except it's a place that has been getting a modicum of attention here, so I thought I'd post it.

Darn it, I knew it was bucatini, but couldn't figure out the restaurant before you said so. It must be a fairly traditional Italian restaurant with homemade pasta and white tablecloths, but I've just gone through everyone I can think of. Fiola has more seafood in their preps, Al Dente doesn't have white tablecloths, Tosca isn't serving bucatini, etc.

Darn it, I knew it was bucatini, but couldn't figure out the restaurant before you said so. It must be a fairly traditional Italian restaurant with homemade pasta and white tablecloths, but I've just gone through everyone I can think of. Fiola has more seafood in their preps, Al Dente doesn't have white tablecloths, Tosca isn't serving bucatini, etc.

You, sir, are quite correct on all counts.

Yes!

I've been bested. :angry:

Simon, It took you awhile to confirm this, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

I had spent quite some time reacquainting myself with places such as Da Domenico, Tragara (closed) Al Tiramisu, Sugo, Assaggi Mozzarella Bar, etc., but nothing quite fit. I wouldn't have guessed Ancora in a thousand years because I just don't know the restaurant. Nice going, Alex!

Without meaning this as a slight in any way, this could be an excellent restaurant for senior citizens.

I love this game because it forces me to keep my chops. I worked hard on this one, to no avail.

This one may be too easy, but ...

post-2-0-27515300-1362245016_thumb.jpg <--- Friday night at age 51.

Where did I di...

Jes' kiddin'. :)

(And you guys thought all I ever did was hang out with my "chef friends.") :P

Ever on the hunt,

Rocks

PS - In case you're wondering, it's in an old, free-standing Pizza Hut, literally right next door to Enat, and has one of the most extensive Peruvian menus in the area.

Hmmm....

This one may be too easy, but ...

attachicon.gifIMG_0492.jpg <--- Friday night at age 51.

Where did I di...

Told Ya So... :D :D :D

You know, if I wanted to make a lame attempt at humor and tease you a bit, I might say things like:

- other than being sure that dish has some rambutan and shredded jackalope in it, everything else is utterly non-distinctive...harrumph! :blink:

- don't be afraid to give lots and lots of hints, even including a photo of the main outdoor sign of the place with the name in sharp focus :)

Next time, Rocks, if you could get that sign into just a bit sharper focus, that'd be sssssuuuuuppper. You know, so noone has to squint before guessing. ;):D

Two Amy's?

Two Amy's doesn't serve nearly that many polpettini (I count up to 20, perhaps 18), and I'm not sure I've seen anywhere that has. Are those polenta triangles (I count perhaps 8 wedges). This leads me to believe it's a "family-style" Italian restaurant in the mold of Carmine's, Bucca di Beppo, That's Amore, etc. Is this correct, porcupine - a "plate-sharing Italian restaurant?"

Where did I dine?

post-2-0-36825100-1362547014_thumb.jpg

Two Amy's?

Correctamundo. except I'm going to let out my inner pedant to point out that the restaurant is named 2Amys (or 2AMYS) not Two Amy's.

Two Amy's doesn't serve nearly that many polpettini (I count up to 20, perhaps 18), and I'm not sure I've seen anywhere that has. Are those polenta triangles (I count perhaps 8 wedges). This leads me to believe it's a "family-style" Italian restaurant in the mold of Carmine's, Bucca di Beppo, That's Amore, etc. Is this correct, porcupine - a "plate-sharing Italian restaurant?"

Yes, they're polenta triangles. The dish on the left is lamb meatballs in tomato sauce with cinnamon and almond.

I've had the misfortune of dining at Bucca and That's, and hope never to go to Carmine's. Probably just jinxed myself. damn.

Where did I dine?

attachicon.gifIMG_2882.jpg

Hmmm. Thicker crusts than the more napoletana/neapolitan versions we've been discussing elsewhere today. And, very telling, a pre-sliced pie like those at Pupatella. But I'm sure this ain't no Pupatella pie. Paradiso might be a good guess. I might have guessed DaMarco but Rocks, as mobile as he his, probably wasn't driving all the way to Bethesda today, in the snowquester, for some stinkin' damarco pie. Not Rocks. He wouldn't. The man has some standards, after all. Then again, there is the Matt factor. Maybe Matt LOVES the DaMarco pie and, being the devoted dad, Rocks didn't think twice about weathering...the rain. Nah.

Orso.

Alrighty, he edits. Not Orso given that hint just posted. Mediocre pizza place trying to look cool/authentic. Probably out NoVa way though Rocks hasn't confirmed that (was it? NoVa?). Eric posted a shot elsewhere from Al Dente. That one looked different though.

So, either DaMarco or Al Dente?

No! No! I hereby rescind all prior guesses. I've got it!

Lost Dog

C'mon, man, I wouldn't eat that crap if it were free.

Hint: Matt and I were both disappointed in the pizzas, considering that the last time we had this person's handiwork (assuming (s)he was even there tonight), we liked it and were impressed.

• Like 1

C'mon, man, I wouldn't eat that crap if it were free.

Sure but that's what you said about Victoria GastroPub, before you found out it was VG, a place you'd reviewed favorably. And we all know you're using a proprietary set of measures in assessing pizzas. More hints please. Unless JuneBacon got it?

On second thought, the plates and table do look like Orso. The pie maybe a bit less so. I'd never liken Orso to Paradiso but maybe Don would. Orso?

No way. The Yelp photos of the pizza, table tops and plates are dead on. And you have eaten there with Matt before. Although wood grain tables and white plates aren't very odd.

Oh, I'm not saying it was a bad guess; I'm just saying it was cocky and wrong. :lol:

More hints please.

Similar Style to Paradiso ...

Half-price pizzas during happy hour ...

Completely dismissing Lost Dog as crap ...

Both my son and I had this person's pizzas before and liked them, but weren't impressed by these (assuming (s)he was there) ...

Mad Fox being reasonable ...

That's a lot of hints, my friends.

Okay, the crust had more flavor than Paradiso's, and tasted better than it looked; the toppings, not so much.

And since there are 10 members reading now, a bonus hint: the individual (theoretically) responsible for these pizzas was mentioned on the internet today as being extraordinary.