Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Is that a peeking tomato on the left side of the bowl?

This looks like chicken and broccoli over thin chow mein noodles with cilantro dumped on top.

I think that is a red pepper, not a tomato.  The dish has meat and vegetables (broccoli, onions, peppers, etc) over the crispy noodles, and underneath is a sauce for dipping the vegetables and noodles. And cilantro on top.

• Like 1

Pho Cong Ly

That's it.

Yay!  I finally got one!

I've often walked out of Eden Center saying to myself, "That meal could have almost been Chinese." This dish *looked* like Chinese Chicken & Broccoli (also, the chicken and broccoli proper looked almost exactly like what I had at Phở Ngọc HÆ°ng - the cilantro is a giveaway that it's not Chinese (this is all very easy for me to say now; not so much before I knew the answer).

Where did I dine?

This looks like Chicken Tetrazzini. I'm trying to decide what that is on the bottom-right - it's not a noodle, and it's not chicken; it might be an onion, but why is there only one? The chicken meat itself looks pretty good (a couple pieces look like the "oysters"), but the plating is lazy, and this comes across as being hurriedly assembled.

This looks like Chicken Tetrazzini. I'm trying to decide what that is on the bottom-right - it's not a noodle, and it's not chicken; it might be an onion, but why is there only one? The chicken meat itself looks pretty good (a couple pieces look like the "oysters"), but the plating is lazy, and this comes across as being hurriedly assembled.

It is lemon on the lower right.  The chicken was very overcooked and it was NYE so it was probably hurriedly assembled.

Since this is a variation on "Where Did I Dine?" I went ahead and merged this thread into that one.

Here's the list of hams in alphabetical order:

1. Iberico pata negra (5 jotas), Spain

2. Johnston Co. Curemaster's Reserve (Smithfield, NC)

3. Lady Edison County Ham (Chapel Hill, NC)

4. Serrano (R. Iglesias) 18 months, Spain

Now, name them clockwise beginning with the one at 11 AM.

post-2-0-49105600-1453695309_thumb.jpg

Hint: It should be easy, and is.

Since this is a variation on "Where Did I Dine?" I went ahead and merged this thread into that one.

Here's the list of hams in alphabetical order:

1. Iberico pata negra (5 jotas), Spain

2. Johnston Co. Curemaster's Reserve (Smithfield, NC)

3. Lady Edison County Ham (Chapel Hill, NC)

4. Serrano (R. Iglesias) 18 months, Spain

Now, name them clockwise beginning with the one at 11 AM.

attachicon.gifHamChallenge.JPG

Hint: It should be easy, and is.

Starting at 11am:

- Iberico

- Lady Edison

- Serrano

- Johnston

My logic is the two I named as Iberico / Serrano have very different marbling.  The Iberico in particular really made me think about the No Reservations episode where they go to El Bulli as it's getting ready to close.  They stop at a tapas place and Jose Andres shows this perfectly marbled piece of Iberico (so if I am wrong, its Jose's fault!  :lol: ).  Admittedly the other two are guesses since they are less marbled and the Johnston appears to have a more "leathery" texture that some US based cured meats can have.

Starting at 11am:

- Iberico

- Lady Edison

- Serrano

- Johnston

My logic is the two I named as Iberico / Serrano have very different marbling.  The Iberico in particular really made me think about the No Reservations episode where they go to El Bulli as it's getting ready to close.  They stop at a tapas place and Jose Andres shows this perfectly marbled piece of Iberico (so if I am wrong, its Jose's fault!  :lol: ).  Admittedly the other two are guesses since they are less marbled and the Johnston appears to have a more "leathery" texture that some US based cured meats can have.

You are exactly correct for exactly the correct reasons.

My takeaway from this: "The wetter, the better." Both NC hams were *very* salty (it's a different culture, it's a different cure). Just to put these in perspective against each other, and not as any type of "absolute ranking," off the top of my head, I would rate the Iberico 99, the Serrano 95, the Lady Edison 85, and the Johnson Co. 78.

In other words, the Serrano - despite being the least expensive of the four - was not all *that* far from the Iberico in quality. It's that old conundrum of, "the final 1% in quality will cost you double the money" - it absolutely holds true in this tasting, as does this great quote by Terry Theise: "I like truffles and I like tortilla chips, but I'm not confused about which flavor is more beautiful."

If you like powerful, hyper-salty country ham (which I do - I grew up on the stuff), then your money is best spent on the Carolina hams; the Spanish hams were all about finesse, understatement, nuance, elegance, a silken texture, and a sneaky-long nuttiness in the finish. The Iberico wasn't more powerful than the Serrano; it was more elegant, but both were elegant.

That leathery texture you speak of? I'm not sure which of the Curemaster line of hams it was, but this was essentially them saying, 'Here is our best product.' BTW, the "Curemaster," Rufus Brown, has something to do with the Lady Edison hams as well. Don't forget: The Curemaster doesn't raise the pigs any more than a winemaker grows the grapes (although in the old world, the winemaker is often the farmer as well). I have no doubt that there are people who would prefer the country hams; I'm not one of them - I like them, but I also like tortilla chips.

• Like 1

Don,

Was this a home tasting, or from a restaurant? If so, where did you buy the ham?  My wife and I nerd out from time to time and challenge each other to blind tastings to see if our preconceived notions of what we like (and tend to order) really pan out.  We've largely done this with alcohol before (turns out I really do prefer Asahi over all other common Japanese beers, but secretly like Corona better than Modelo Especial), but a ham version would be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Don,

Was this a home tasting, or from a restaurant? If so, where did you buy the ham?  My wife and I nerd out from time to time and challenge each other to blind tastings to see if our preconceived notions of what we like (and tend to order) really pan out.  We've largely done this with alcohol before (turns out I really do prefer Asahi over all other common Japanese beers, but secretly like Corona better than Modelo Especial), but a ham version would be a lot of fun.

Donnie Does Durham

Eggspectation? (Ducks and hides)

Wait, I almost want to change my answer. Had a thought that it might be Silver, but I can't tell whether that's salmon or prosciutto and even if it were the latter, the dish would be missing the tomatoes. So I guess I'll stick with my first wrong answer. :P

7 hours ago, Choirgirl21 said:

Eggspectation? (Ducks and hides)

Wait, I almost want to change my answer. Had a thought that it might be Silver, but I can't tell whether that's salmon or prosciutto and even if it were the latter, the dish would be missing the tomatoes. So I guess I'll stick with my first wrong answer. :P

No to both.

But owned by a corporation is on the right track.

(Salmon...)