Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Is that Neapolitan Pizza on the right, or something else? Either way, this looks like a place with good dough-based products (the sandwich bread looks like Focaccia). The sandwich looks like it's a little too sauced - I thought it was vegetable-based on first glance, but that thing on the right of it looks oddly like a seared scallop, or even a fatty piece of pork.

Yes, Neapolitan pizza, and pretty much every observation you made is spot on except the seared scallops part. This is a panini with homemade porchetta and seared mushrooms, with salsa verde. A decent sandwich but oily…the salsa verde didn’t quite provide enough sharpness to cut through all the fat. 

4 hours ago, MichaelBDC said:

I'm guessing Stellina Pizzeria.  The crust in the top right of the pic looks like their crust and the dots on the paper under the crust looks like the dots in their logo.

You got it!

11 hours ago, Rhone1998 said:

Yes, Neapolitan pizza, and pretty much every observation you made is spot on except the seared scallops part. This is a panini with homemade porchetta and seared mushrooms, with salsa verde. A decent sandwich but oily…the salsa verde didn’t quite provide enough sharpness to cut through all the fat. 

So that was just another seared mushroom, eh; or was that a stray piece of porchetta? And that vertically fibrous, 1/2-cm-thick, gray thing on the bottom-left, immediately on top of the bread, is a piece of porchetta?

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 01.42.55.png

What are your impressions overall? (I may move your reply to the Stellina Pizzeria thread - thanks for posting this interesting puzzle.)

---

Stellina Pizzeria (Rhone1998)

4 hours ago, DaveO said:

So how was the lobster roll?? 

A lot like the fries: frozen. It was tasty and plentiful (the lobster meat is actually slightly chilled), but that meal was pushing $35 with tax and tip.

I had a 12-inch Steak and Cheese at Santini's today in McLean for half the price (could not quite finish it) - that's a better sandwich.

16 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

So does Lukes use only claw meat or do they use the whole lobster?

Hmm, there were a *lot* of claws in that sandwich, now that you mention it - I don't want to say "only claws," but there were a whole lot of them - little ones, too (honestly, I scarfed it uncritically, but yes, I did at least notice that much).

---

ETA - I just did a bit of research ... they proudly advertise using "knuckle and claw meat."

7 hours ago, dslee said:

Yes, Heirloom Spring Artichoke stuffed with Green Garlic and Green Almond.  One of the best preparations of artichoke I have had the honor to enjoy by my favorite DC Chef.

When I first saw it I thought Fancy Radish, but I don't see it on their online menu.  Wherever you had this, I want to try it!

2 hours ago, Rhone1998 said:

When I first saw it I thought Fancy Radish, but I don't see it on their online menu.  Wherever you had this, I want to try it!

Heirloom Spring Artichoke was featured yesterday as a Lunch Special.  When I left the restaurant after dining in, there were approximately 10 individual takeaways available in the market pantry refrigerator.  The restaurant's instagram suggests that the Chef will make more for tomorrow.  I follow the restaurant's instagram so I am informed of any new dishes that the Chef is inspired to offer that day.

If you like 2Amys, Etto, you may like this Shaw neighborhood restaurant, which only serves lunch Tuesday - Saturday from 11:30AM to 3PM.  Dine-in option is 8-counter seat capacity or takeaway of Lunch Specials till 3PM and open till 7PM for pick-up of Market Items in the pantry refrigerator which includes dinner-to-go specials.  

This is my current favorite Chef and restaurant in all of DC.

1 hour ago, dslee said:

Where did I dine?

What on earth is this dish? I can't positively identify a single grain of rice, so biryani and paella seem nearly impossible. Those things on top look like dried truffles, but that seems out of place on such a sauced-up dish.

I really want to say something like Rooster and Owl, but I can't get past the two finishing sauces looking like classic coriander and tamarind chutney, plus that vibrant purple thing on the left of the second photo is a color you'd see at Punjab Grill, so ... Punjab Grill?

48 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

What on earth is this dish? I can't positively identify a single grain of rice, so biryani and paella seem nearly impossible. Those things on top look like dried truffles, but that seems out of place on such a sauced-up dish.

I really want to say something like Rooster and Owl, but I can't get past the two finishing sauces looking like classic coriander and tamarind chutney, plus that vibrant purple thing on the left of the second photo is a color you'd see at Punjab Grill, so ... Punjab Grill?

Not Punjab Grill and absolutely not Rooster and Owl.  The dish is a reimagined Paella.  In my opinion, it is one of the tastiest dishes I've had this year and it surpasses Del Mar's paella.  Composition and execution is sublime perfection.  The rice is bomba rice.  The purple ingredient is a beet.  The orange is carrot.  The drizzle of sauce on top is Jalapeño syrup.  Protein is lobster, chorizo and pork.  Yes, black truffle!  My photo fails to properly capture this brilliant dish.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

plus that vibrant purple thing on the left of the second photo

27 minutes ago, dslee said:

The purple ingredient is a beet.  

(I was talking about that plastic-looking Croc thing to the side of the pan.)

Is this some sort of test meal at Xiquet?

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

(I was talking about that plastic-looking Croc thing to the side of the pan.)

Is this some sort of test meal at Xiquet?

It is a purple water glass.  Not Xiquet. 

5 hours ago, funkyfood said:

Looks a lot like the bomba at Arroz but i highly suspect it is not  unless this is an old picture

Not Arroz.  For me, both Queen's English and this new modern Latin American restaurant are the most exciting openings of 2019 to date in DC.

1 hour ago, dslee said:

Not Arroz.  For me, both Queen's English and this new modern Latin American restaurant are the most exciting openings of 2019 to date in DC.

Are there, you know, more than a few reasons to like this place?

Seven Reasons disappointed me a little bit. The drinks were excellent but the entrees were just decent and the appetizers were bland.  I had extremely high expectations though because my meal at Alma Cocina was incredible.  Pretty restaurant though. 

38 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Are there, you know, more than a few reasons to like this place?

Yes, Seven Reasons 🙂 

Chorizo & Lobster Rice (2-3P) is the dish in my photo.  My dining companion and I also enjoyed:

• Sweet & Sour Duck Tongue Chicharron
  • Royal Sea Bass Ceviche
  • Octopus & Lentils
  • Seven Reasons Croquette
  • Cauliflower Tempura